Young Girl Bullied Over an Elk

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I suppose it was bound to happen. A young girl in Missouri mis-identified her game, shooting an elk rather than a whitetail deer. Her dad immediately notified the Department of Conservation. However, he posted a picture of his 14-year-old daughter with the elk on social media. It has resulted in a flood of keyboard ninjas castigating the young lady. Personally, I believe the father is to be commended for demonstrating to his daughter that when mistakes happen (and they do happen), the proper action is to take responsibility and deal with the issue in a proper fashion. Though the dad should have been with the daughter, there was no reason to expect to find elk in this particular area. All-in-all, glad the dad and daughter acted appropriately after the shot and disappointed in the keyboard ninjas who have all the answers, except when they don't.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/1...ying-after-shooting-elk-mistook-for-buck.html

It is amazing how tough some are behind a computer. The hatred towards hunting is also amazing. I guess the newest generations have been store fed for their whole life so they don't know what it's like to harvest the true "organic" protein us hunters procure. The intolerance in people also blows my mind. I guess the old saying "Live and let live" doesn't matter anymore. Another reason I don't get on social media.

Dr Mike, thanks for the post

Idahoctd, I agree. I will return to the subject in this thread in a minute, but to further make Idaho's point. Conservative and hunting women are truly looked down upon these days and for the most part by the so called "feminist women" We ( women ) should speak out and be whoever we want to be, as long as it is line with the liberal feminist agenda. The absolute most hypocritical thing I believe I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Back to Dr Mikes post. Father is to be commended on so many levels. Time with his daughter. Teaching his daughter to hunt. Teaching his daughter to do the right thing by calling the authorities. There are supposedly no Elk in Missouri. If this had been Fotis, or Guy, and our other western states and Canada hunters, I am sure the daughter would have known the difference between a deer and an elk and would not have taken the shot.

It still amazes me that Keyboard warriors are allowed to attacked people especially a young women who can't defend themselves. I know that I should not let this anger me but man we just do not have any tolerance left in this world :(.
It was a mistake, she owned up to and that is what counts and I am glad that the meat did not got to waste (y).
Thanks DrMike for the post!!

Blessings,
Dan

This kind of crap sure gets a person fired up. They did everything correct when they realized the mistake made. Even on our own site I suspect that there are some keyboard folks who hide behind the computer and like to take shots (pun intended) at other folks, and especially women. Cowards the lot of them.

I personally liked when my then 13 yr old daughter showed the "girls don't hunt" boys at school pictures of her buck and they had not killed bucks.

That was a nice way to shut the morons' mouths. And hopefully at that age, teach them something before it was too late.

They stood up, took responsibility, and in my book that shows way more courage than hiding behind a PC and attacking people. It's the world we live in now. Some people line up to spew their hate. just to get a few likes, re-tweets, get their 2 minutes of fame, or to just see how much of a firestorm they can start.

My daughter was approached by a security officer on her college campus and he informed her that someone complained about her hoodie and that they found it offensive and asked her to cover it...It says "Pretty In Pink, Whitetail Nightmare In Camo" He said it technically wasn't overtly threatening or violating any anti-violence standards, so he couldn't force her to cover it up..She politely replied.."well, they're gonna loose their minds tomorrow when I wear my "Happiness is a gut pile" shirt!!
(y) :lol:

Seen that on the news feed as soon as I jumped on the computer tonight Dr Mike. The internet sure can bring out the worst among us at times. It was a 14 yr old kid that made a legitimate mistaken identity of a game animal. Far from the end of the world. She should be able to chalk it up to a learned experience and move on. But that's hard to do in this day and age when adults bully and call names behind a keyboard. I wish something like that was the least level of dumbness I ever did at that age that my parents had to deal with.

My opinion it was very shitty of the news media to publish that to start with. They know how it will end.

hunter24605":1wmk6394 said:
My daughter was approached by a security officer on her college campus and he informed her that someone complained about her hoodie and that they found it offensive and asked her to cover it...It says "Pretty In Pink, Whitetail Nightmare In Camo" He said it technically wasn't overtly threatening or violating any anti-violence standards, so he couldn't force her to cover it up..She politely replied.."well, they're gonna loose their minds tomorrow when I wear my "Happiness is a gut pile" shirt!!
(y) :lol:

That is just too good! Excellent retort!

I first saw it as a USA today story and then Fox picked it up and turned it into a mess.
There is no season in Missouri but they was no law protecting them either except for on the sanctuary so what's the big deal?
Congrats to the young lady on her first ELK.

I looked at it slightly differently. While there is no season, elk look nothing like a deer. So if it looks nothing like a deer, why would she shoot? I agree they did the right things (after) the incident, except post it on face book, but do believe if it had been one of us here a violation would have been issued. I am wondering what kind of Hunters Education classes they have there and do they learn the different game species or only gun handling? Lastly what if it had been a horse or other livestock?

She was hunting a buck. She has seen horses and cows, and told not to shoot them I suppose. This thing had antlers, much different than a horse or cow.

Yes, she misidentified an unexpected elk, but it was not a horse or cow. In AZ, where you can find elk, you bet they are in trouble. I get it, but can't get worked up about it too much... Especially when they did the right thing and in what world would the dad expect the elk. That is a crazy circumstance.

If my kid shot a feral pig, for which there is no season, instead of a javelina, I don't know how worked up I could get. Thats how I see this situation.

Yeah I am going to work hard at target identification with muh boys cause it is a hard thing to imagine happening. And, personally, in the mountains of the west, I would not leave one so young alone...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back