Pennsylvania archery buck

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Long story shorter, I shot a nice buck on my own land last night. The shot went a little awry, so after finding him alive but very sick and unable to get up, I backed out, waited about 3-4 hours, and came back to a very dead buck who was so stiff and cold he likely died just after I backed away from him.

He moved as I released, and what would have been an x-ring shot was a liver hit. It did the job. He fell and bedded at 95 yards from the hit and never got up.

This is absolutely my biggest buck with a bow thus far, and taking him on my own land was just cool as heck. My treestand, checked with my RF tonight, is 66 yards from my back door.

90_F96_D7_B-12_D1-4_CD8-_BFAD-_C972528009_BE.jpg

nicely done Tom. A little easier getting this one to the freezer than the elk you got earlier this year. Does your oldest daughter still hunt with you Tom ?

Congratulations on an excellent buck. From the photo it looks like a 10 point. That was keeping your head to back off and give it some time. Some folks would have played that wrong.

In my opinion, bagging a big whitetail buck with bow is many times harder than with a rifle. Well done.

Dan

Yes, he’s a 10. Wish he wasn’t such a fighter and hadn’t cracked off his one G2, but I’m not complaining, lol.

I skinned and quartered him yesterday. He is really scarred and scraped from fighting. I’ve never seen a deer this scraped up before.

And yes, my oldest hunts with me, but she hunts with a rifle. I may get her shooting a crossbow and see if we can’t get her some added opportunities. Rifle season starts a week from this coming Monday.

You know Tom,

If he is really that scraped up that much then you might want to get whoever he broke that G2 off with next year??? :>)

Charles, I may have a picture of that deer. There was an 8pt in my yard in late summer that was conclusively bigger than this deer. But was clearly an 8pt, so no chance the pics we took were of this deer.

That deer was several inches wider and much taller. This buck I took is 16 3/4” inside, maybe 17. That one likely would threaten 20”. The remaining g2 on mine is 6”, and the ‘3’s are 7-1/2 to 7-3/4. That 8 likely sported tines over 10”.

That's a fine looking deer. I actually prefer character flaws on the antlers I save. Nice work on the recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been suggested that the taxidermist could reproduce the broken tine.

I have mixed feelings on that. Not sure I’d want to do it, but then again, he did in fact grow the point so it’s not putting anything there that wasn’t grown by the deer. But it’s not how he was when I shot him.

I have a wide 8pt Archery buck that snapped both his main beams just past his G3s. Kinda an interesting one to look at.

There’s time to decide.

Nice Archery work! Arrows have a way of going astray after their release and into the air..... twigs, a branch, moving target, or jumping the string. The speed of Sound is still faster then a arrow, not that he heard the Bow. At least you found him, and not well on his way to someone else property?

There's always a little bit of sadness to see missing tines..... I once blew off both sides with a 1 oz. slug from a 12 GA taking a running head shot! lol It was a small deer and for the meat, not his missing headgear!

Outstanding!

When I get a buck with banged up or broken tines - I love it! Shows the animal was a warrior, and I like it. I'd put those antlers on my wall proudly.

Congratulations, Guy

Nice bow buck! I didn't find one this year but did fill a doe tag in early muzzleloader. Meat's meat,looking forward to rifle though.

hogginlong":2jz2iwbu said:
Nice bow buck! I didn't find one this year but did fill a doe tag in early muzzleloader. Meat's meat,looking forward to rifle though.

Last few years, I’ve been seeing rut activity into the first week of rifle, so keep at it!

I’m likely not shooting any more deer, but not hunting with my flintlock will be difficult. I may look for someone who will either butcher their own or pay the bill that I can just drop off a dressed deer and call it a day. I love flintlock season. If I am not shooting deer, I’ll take my 36-cal long rifle for tree rats. I won’t be able to sit around during late December and not tote a flintlock to the woods.

Back