My first deer in 5 years

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Well, believe it or not guys I'm still hunting and shooting although not as much as I used to since I got into cycling. That's the reason why I haven't been active in this forum for quite sometime. All that probably will change starting next year. I will ease up on my cycling and hunt and shoot more.

Any way, I went on Private Land Management hunt yesterday and got a really nice buck. This is the biggest California buck I shot to date. I hunted with my 300 Win Mag.

What a great way to break the drought, Rommel. Great buck. Give us the story when you get a chance.

Thanks guys. It's nice to be back out in the field glassing, climbing hills and be with nature. I shot the buck at around 225-226 lasered yards. I was testing the effectiveness of the 175 grain Barnes LRX BT for hunting. My model 70 like this round better than my old standby, the 180 grain TTSX. With 75 grain of IMR 7828 SC, the 175 LRX was clocked at 3,205 fps, 10 ft from the muzzle and has a maximum PBR of 347 yards. The buck shuddered as the bullet entered the shoulder and exited at mid ribcage, shredding both heart and lungs in the process. I thought I missed but the buck took one step and then fell backwards. I was waiting for the buck to get up but it never did.

Nice!

3200+ fps with a sleek 175 gr bullet should be a very serious long-range game-getting load!

Congrats

Nice buck Rommel, and yes like most on here wondered where you've been as of late! Hope you're doing well, and all.

Happy Thanks Giving to you ahead too!

Sorry guys. I haven't been active in the sport. That's all gonna change starting now. I've been out too long and I missed you guys in here. This is my favorite forum on the web.

DF,

Congratulations on a beautiful buck.
Way to go pal.

JD338

Back