As Good as it Gets!

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
This morning was the opening day of gun season in this part of New York State. I was looking forward to hunting with the rifle. On my trail cameras and during cross bow season I had seen many great bucks. While cross bow hunting I had never seen so many great bucks and had so many great buck within range. They were always behind some brush, just a tad too small, just a bit out of range, or just plain never stopped moving.

After days of cross bow hunting I finally settled on this 7 pointer which I thought was an 8 point.

DSCN0153.JPG

The weather forecast for this morning was for rain and south wind. A south wind meant that I couldn't use my favorite "gully stand" so I decided to use the "shooting hut" which accommodates a south wind.

I got in the stand early, way before daylight and watched the sun come up.

DSCN0159.JPG

When it got to be daylight and shooting time, I looked all around and didn't see any deer. So I decided to step outside and relieve myself before settling in for a long wait during shooting hours. I step out to the north/west corner of the deck. When I got back inside the blind, I sat down and pivoted the chair around 360 degrees to check everything. Low and behold there was a deer on the north/east side. I figured it was a doe and checked it with the binoculars. Whoa! It was a buck that had come up from the hillside and was checking the field for does. I started counting points and when I got to 4 points on one side, I decided it was a shooter. I put down the binoculars, and picked up the rifle. When I was all set, the buck was facing me with his head down. I waited for him to move. He turned broadside and starting walking at 90 degrees from me. I gave a doe bleat and he stopped. Then he took a couple of step toward me. He was quartering hard toward me at about 150 yards. I place the cross hairs of the 270 Win. right on the near front shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

He made a three legged 50 yard dash for the woods and went down right at the edge of the woods.

DSCN0161.JPG

After I field dressed the buck I found this fungi on my way back to the truck.

DSCN0167.JPG

Here is the happy hunter.

DSCN0171.JPG

Here is a close up of the rack.

DSCN0175.JPG

What a successful season for you! Excellent animals. Both are dandy bucks; they are sure to provide great table fare for you. Congratulations.

Yep, that'll do nicely. One of my former officers, also a former Marine Gunny, transferred back to NY. Rochester area. A couple of guys we worked with fly back every year to hunt there with him. They do well, but shotguns only on the farm he hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations Dan, your hard work has paid off... I hope that you have a tag left so that you can go out with me and "Thump" a big doe with your 450 Marlin in a few days. (y)

Rol_P":14gl7kxd said:
Congratulations Dan, your hard work has paid off... I hope that you have a tag left so that you can go out with me and "Thump" a big doe with your 450 Marlin in a few days. (y)

Or with a Ruger #1. I still have a DMP tag that can be transferred to a Ruger #1 owner. :)

Back