Do you guys know...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
How much I wish I'd been there with you? Checking the range, watching the wind, giving advice on how to hold?

Helping cut up the animal and pack it out to your truck?

Dang... I love that stuff! As much as I enjoy hunting for myself, I really, truly, enjoy helping others.

Its a real treat to read all these great hunting stories - and on every doggone one of them, I wish I'd been there to help.

Guy

You are bang on, Guy. Enjoy seeing others connect and helping as able.

Opening morning of my hunt, about 5 minutes into the day.... a young man in his twenties shot his first ever big game animal.... about 100 yards from me. I had never met this man, but I recognized him as a younger brother of the hunt. I took immense pleasure in helping him skin and quarter his first critter. We put hung hind quarters in my game bags (his were 3 miles away, back at the truck), and I packed the fronts, the cuts, and the skull/antlers on his pack. He kept asking me if I needed to go hunt, and I could tell he felt bad for taking up my morning. I continued to reassure him that I was exactly were I wanted to be, and that this is what hunters have done forever.

The last I saw of my new friend Alex.... he was headed down the trail toward home.... with an 80lb pack.... but I don’t think his feet ever hit the ground. He called me yesterday, still grateful as could be.... he’s a solid young man, and I could hear the pride in his voice as he talked about providing food for his young family.

I went on to have the best day of deer hunting I’ve ever had... and killed my best deer ever that same afternoon. Can’t help but think there may have been a little big-buck Karma coming around.

Songdog":u9z2zl74 said:
I went on to have the best day of deer hunting I’ve ever had... and killed my best deer ever that same afternoon. Can’t help but think there may have been a little big-buck Karma coming around.

(y) Certainly! Sometimes you reap what you sow. Kudos to you for helping the young hunter and congratulations on your best ever deer.

Dan

Very generous of you Songdog. That's the way "life" is supposed to be, let alone hunting.

Guy....so now you tell me??? After packing two mule deer out....:)

I would've called you to come help but figured I didn't want to wait 15 hours for you to get there.

Nicely done Song Dog!!!

Good thread and good point Guy.

Like your thread about giving some wild meat away, you are obviously a very good man and take great pleasure in helping others .

When we head to Montana each year, we find that we enjoy "just" being in the mountains and away from civilization as much as hunting. We are perfectly happy helping others with their hunt, as long as we are "out there".

I have mentioned this before but the year we vacationed in the Mackenzie mountains in Northwest territories, Canada and did not hunt, but was involved with others who did, was once of our best falls ever.

for those of us who live in New York, just being there was heaven

There’s something primally satisfying, about sitting on the side of a mountain, with some other guy you’ve never met.... and cutting up an animal one of you just killed for food.

We’ve been making knife marks on bones and packing meat together for tens of thousands of years... it’s a deep connective bond, to each other... and the land.... that only hunters share. To recognize it, to cherish it, and to share it... is the escence of hunting.

I agree. The posts on this forum full the fire for me to work harder, shoot more, study more maps, and dig deeper. I enjoy reading about all the hunts and look forward to many more.

Back