Blacktail hunt 2017

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Didn't think I would have the chance to go this year but at the last minute a friend and I decided to go for blacktails anyway. We hunted for 5 days from November 13-17th and got a total of 7 deer - 2 bucks, a mature doe and the rest younger bucks and does.

I managed to get 4 deer, a buck, a mature doe and a couple of younger deer, the 260 Rem performed well as always and the 130 gr AccuBond remains my favourite 6.5 mm bullet for deer (the 120 and 140 gr Ballistic Tips tips are favourites too though)

I love how they rub their antlers on red alder and get their antlers a bright orange in color

Red alder rub

My double first header

24713369428_3d4c97e263_z.jpg

Nice sunset

37697493505_a4e42e2aee_z.jpg

Wow! A great hunt, Gerry. Was Maria able to go with you? Fine dining is in store, for sure.

Not this time, I missed her and would rather hunt deer with her than anyone else. She wants to go next year again but we will likely go in September or October instead. You can't beat blacktails when it comes to the table, I'm craving deer hamburgers right now in the worst way :lol: We just made a soup from the bones of that buck which tastes good and is very nutritious.

Very neat, Gerry. The video of Widgeon and Swans is beautiful. They are graceful creatures, to be sure. I understand why one would rest and watch them.

Great trip Gerry and congratulations on some fine deer. I've heard they are very good on the table also.

David

Black Tails don't get the respect they deserve. Hunted them frequently in high school and college when the demands of football and wrestling prevented me traveling to Eastern Oregon for mulies.
Great on the table, better than mule deer for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry,

Congratulations on your successful season!

JD338

Thanks to all, glad to have been able to share the hunt with you all. It is true that they are very good to eat, these ones are no exception for the bit we have eaten so far.

Salmonchaser blacktails are my favourite deer to hunt by far, they don't have the huge antlers of mule deer and whitetails (at least up here although there are a few big ones but are very hard to actually find) but are so fun to hunt. I have a few ideas to get into some more remote areas for next year and see if we can find a real big one or two :)

Back