Speaking of Blacktails

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
My niece and BIL with her first deer last week. A Blacktail. Grandpas #1 22-250, Nosler factory ammo at about 40 yards. IMG_1824.JPGIMG_1825.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good for her, congratulations

salmon chaser, are the blacktail in Alaska the same size as the ones in Oregon ? From memory they are the same, but different and at the moment I am forgetting the official name of the ones in Alaska and Canada

The Latin escapes me at the moment. Alaska and BC have the Sitka Blacktail, Northern California, Oregon and Washington have Colombian Blacktails. The Columbia Blacktail are larger. Northern California and Southwest Oregon produce Blacktails that sport Antlers as big as a decent mule deer.
There is also a much fabled deer that inhabits the same country as Bigfoot, called a bench leg. A cross between mule deer and Blacktail. The ground is so rugged their legs are shorter on on side so they can run around the mountain easier.

Congratulations to the huntress. She scored a true trophy. (Aren't all our first deer trophies?" Excellent photos.

Congratulations to your niece on her first deer, very nice buck to start things off for her (y)

She is quite a hunter, routinely goes duck hunting, getting pretty good at knocking those down. She is a top ranked high school gymnast. With a tail wind she might make 5 foot and 95 pounds. We've been talking about the next step in rifles. 243, 257 Roberts 6.5 creedmore maybe a 7 08.

Sounds like a fantastic young lady. People such as her give me hope for the future of the country.

Impressive young lass, great first deer, good shooting!
Looks like the 22/250 is working just fine!

Well the circumstances were perfect but I've never been a fan of .22 on deer despite mounting evidence to the contrary. I'm glad it worked for her.

salmonchaser":8tzuit8o said:
Well the circumstances were perfect but I've never been a fan of .22 on deer despite mounting evidence to the contrary. I'm glad it worked for her.

I'm with you on wanting more cartridge when going for game. However, there is no question but that a .22 with a well-constructed bullet will take game. We aren't allowed to use less than a .24 calibre bullet here in BC. Still, it is difficult to argue that the .22 won't take game. It does allow for more accurate placement of the shot for smaller shooters.

I'm going to leave her my 6.5 over the summer while I'm in Alaska. I may not get it back.

Congratulations to the young huntress. That's a dandy of a first deer.

Looks like your 6.5 will be going to a great new home.

Vince

Congratulations to your niece. She did well. I must say she looks pretty pleased with the outcome.

Dan

Back