First deer with the 9.3x62.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Decided to carry my old 9.3 mauser and sit and watch a small green field this evening. Shortly before dark had three deer show up while I was sitting in the elevated ground blind. Was a button buck, 3” spike, and about 80-90 pound doe. Decided to take the Doe to try out the new Gun, and I always kill some deer for the older folks in my home town and they like them young and tender. She was the farthest of the group, but still only 25 yards at most. Load was 286 gr hornady spire point with 59 gr of varget for 2410 fps. Shot entered point of front shoulder and exited right behind opposite shoulder. The impact was quite spectacular and was impressive too see.
147cc20c17bf14fe179cbf10e1be8375.jpg
1e30c60432d11f09a3d36cbd051816fe.jpg
ba58731bc44cdc44bb6caa587802848d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job! And with a classic gun and open sights too. Always fun to hunt with a classic.

Nice! It will be interesting to see how much bloodshot there is, probably not much I would guess. Great way to break in the new gun.

Good job! It will, indeed, be interesting to see the degree of spoilage from bloodshot meat.

Thanks guys I took it to processor, but I think it might have cause some blood shot. They say the spire point in that caliber is somewhat soft. Judging the large exit wound I’m assuming it opened quite a bit. I’ve read a lot about a lot of other 9.3 bullets like the tsx and Partition are really good about not causing much blood shot meat. I really enjoyed finally taking a Deer with that old Gun since I’ve spent so much time on it. Feels really nice especially since I put a lot of man hours into filing the feed rails so it would cycle the 9.3, and doing all the stock inletting to fit the Timney trigger myself. Really liked the sight picture on that ghost ring aperture sight also! Tm I’m taking the Howa 6.5 CM out and hopefully get to try out my TTSX loads in the morning.

Congratulations on a fine hunt. It must be gratifying for you to give that rifle a little field exercise resulting in filling the tag.

Guy Miner":27t539jf said:
Outstanding! I think you had "enough gun" (y)

Yup- but fun to use those guns we spend the time with and that are unique. One of these days I gotta take my 16 ga Ithica Deer hunting. Some good eating there. CL

Guy Miner":1s80ihyj said:
I "need" to take a deer or two with the 375, just because.

Guy

I think you should buddy.. Seems like your 375's shoot pretty danged well.. Might be fun to topple one over with the big guy.

Guy Miner":365r1wt5 said:

Guy
My brothers have used 375’s on some Deer. One used the 260 AB the other used the old 300 grain silvertips.

Guy Miner":zqb8pd3f said:

Guy

Well, it would certainly be a "take down." I recall my first deer taken with a 9.3X64. The distance was about 220 yards. Coming out of battery, the deer had simply disappeared. A doe and a fawn were behind the 4X4 buck. They stood stunned, staring at where he had stood. Then, they trotted off about twenty-five or thirty yards and went to grazing again. I finally worked my way up to where the buck had stood, and there he lay. That 250 grain AccuBond had flattened him. Not much meat damage, either. I love that 9.3X64, and I imagine if I had been toting a 375 H&H, I'd love it just as much.

I know our small bores, the 6mm's, .25's, 6.5's, etc... kill deer very well.

But there is something pretty doggone cool about the over .30 bore rifle cartridges.

Guy

Back