Chukar!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Clark and I headed for a high, steep ridge today. We climbed for a good hour, gaining over 1,000' from where I'd parked the Jeep. Up top, among the mountain mulies, we got into chukar!

What a great dog! Without him, it would have been just a hike. As it was, we came home with two nice chukar for tonight's dinner. Also saw a golden eagle, at least a dozen mule deer, and more than a dozen bighorn sheep. It was a good day.

The 12 ga Beretta isn't pretty, but it's the shotgun I shoot best:
ZQ7XLFZl.jpg

Clark worked hard and had a blast today:
xpUqQnNl.jpg

You're pointing birds where? Good grief!
hUHBW6Ml.jpg

If you've never hunted wild chukar - they thrive on high, steep terrain. We climbed well over a thousand feet from where I'd parked the Jeep. Could have shot more, but somehow two seemed like enough. No other boot tracks seen. No spent shell casings. Just a crazy steep ridge that required me to use one hand as well as both legs to climb, some wildlife, and more than a few chukar. What a great day!

Guy

Well done. Nothing like chukar in the breaks to humble a man or perhaps totally break him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never hunted chukar, but I've certainly seen them along the Fraser Canyon. You are correct about them living in inhospitable terrain. They are certainly an attractive bird. How would you describe the flavour, Guy? Is there anything more common to which you can compare them?

Hmmm... Like really good pheasant? Kinda sorta?

Salmonchaser - your thoughts? I don't seem to be able to describe it well.

Guy

That makes sense since they are related to pheasant. And I do like pheasant. I may have to take my shotgun with me the next time I travel down to the Cariboo country.

Yes, I agree that chukar taste similar to pheasant. However, they are must faster and much, much harder to hit. What size shot do you use? # 6 lead? What choke?

Dan

Just looked at the map, I knew it was quite a climb. Dog and I climbed over 1,400' from where I parked the Jeep. We didn't find chukar until we were almost at the top!

NYDAN - I have to use steel shot here, even for upland game. It's a legal requirement.

I use #6 steel (Kent brand normally) and a modified choke on the Beretta 12 ga.

BTW - dinner was great! Leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving, and fresh chukar fried in the skillet with olive oil, a dash of salt, pretty heavy on the pepper and garlic. YUM!

Guy

Sounds like a Great day Guy! Biggest challenge must be standing up and swinging a shot gun on that steep ground. :shock: At least Clark is there to give you some warning and show you where you have to climb. :) CL

Guy sounds like fun and the pictures are great.
Next time you have left over mashed potatoes mix a raw egg , parsley and salt pepper to taste and make potato cakes in the skillet, just brown both side in bacon grease or oil.

Chukar is denser than pheasant, about the same color, firmer. Once you recognize it, even in a stroganoff you can tell the difference.
In Oregon we can still use lead. I use # 6 early #5 later in the season. Modified or full choke. I'll also use the fastest 11/4 once loads I can find.
To be consistently successful you need to hunt them like they were mule deer. Use the terrain and stalk them or they'll just run up hill and flush out of range. Bastards. You hunt chukar for the adventure once, after that for revenge.

salmonchaser":9jnosco5 said:
Bastards. You hunt chukar for the adventure once, after that for revenge.

Ya, I'd agree! (y) Been after 'em for a long time now and haven't finished them off yet though.

Am going to give Clark and I both a break and go after pen-raised pheasants on the pheasant club next week. Much flatter ground. Much bigger/slower birds... :grin:

Guy

salmonchaser":34v5uynv said:
Chukar is denser than pheasant, about the same color, firmer.
To be consistently successful you need to hunt them like they were mule deer. Use the terrain and stalk them or they'll just run up hill and flush out of range. Bastards. You hunt chukar for the adventure once, after that for revenge.

No kidding, even I have quite a hard time getting those fast flying white wings when we hunt them in September. I envy those young hunters with those expensive long barreled twin over and unders, they seem to pick off each bird I miss with my Browning Gold Hunter semi auto. :lol: I seem to get more quails than I do whitewings. They just stand there mostly or mope around. :mrgreen:

I never hunted chukar, but only bobwhite and blue quails as well as whitewings. The steep terrain does look challenging, but for a well conditioned person like Guy, but seems that its no hard task for you Guy. Rock on. (y)

Guy Miner":99fdkb4d said:
salmonchaser":99fdkb4d said:
Bastards. You hunt chukar for the adventure once, after that for revenge.

Ya, I'd agree! (y) Been after 'em for a long time now and haven't finished them off yet though.

Am going to give Clark and I both a break and go after pen-raised pheasants on the pheasant club next week. Much flatter ground. Much bigger/slower birds... :grin:

Guy

Pheasants just use the "heart seizure" method to try and get away. Have fun. CL

salmonchaser said:
Chukar. Use the terrain and stalk them or they'll just run up hill and flush out of range. Bastards. You hunt chukar for the adventure once, after that for revenge.

this is very best description for hunting Chukar that I have ever read!!!!

Got out briefly again this afternoon and found one covey of chukar. Clark pointed. I flushed them, picked one out and shot it. Clark made a terrific retrieve from far below me.

I decided that one was enough this afternoon. Wasn't interested in another arduous hike today. This was more of a pleasant walk with a bit of steep terrain thrown in.

It was a very nice afternoon with the dog, in beautiful country above the Columbia River.

Guy

Sounds like fun, Guy, especially with a good dog. I have only hunted Chukar a couple times, it is definitely a challenge.

My advice Guy would be to never share this location with anyone. Sounds like you found a honey hole.

And a no-chukar day today in the snow. Good day afield though with son & dog:

leyUdjSl.jpg

Clark REALLY likes snow:
X18vcbRl.jpg

L8vEZqWl.jpg

HuxPbUUl.jpg

Couple of advantages to finding no birds: a box of shells lasts longer... And there are no birds to clean... :grin:

Guy

Back