Daughters first elk

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
My 15 year old daughter shot her first elk Friday. This was a late season cow tag. We found the herd around 1 pm. She made a great shot at 225 yards and she went down quickly.
Rifle is a savage 7mm-08 topped with a Vortex Viper scope. She was using hand loaded 139 gr. Interbonds on top of varget powder.
She was slightly quartering towards us. She hit her on the point of the shoulder and the bullet exited the rear ribs on the off side. I was pretty impressed with the results.
bdec2a6cac8e474fd6fb6202f41feb12.jpg

We hiked quite a bit and I could not be more proud.

Excellent! The 7mm-08 bites another elk. Congratulations to the young huntress and to you for instilling in her a willingness to hunt.

Great job and congratulations to the young lady! The 7mm-08 is an excellent cartridge, there really isn't any reason to need anything more unless you're going after big bears.

That is awesome. Looks like a big cow. You are justifiably proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job, congratulations, I just showed my wife and she sends her congratulations as well. I see that young lady shoots from the proper side as well ;)

Please tell your daughter congratulations! I love to see sons and daughters hunting. They are our future hunters and seems like you see less youth hunting.
Great job teaching her!

Way to tag team it, congrats to all!

Love to see father daughter teams, especially since I'm hunting with my daughter all the time now.

You are all kind. Thanks for all the great comments!

And yes Gerry, she is a lefty. My Wife and both daughters shoot left handed.

Congratulations to your daughter on her Elk. That is just so...cool! You sir, are a lucky man. (y)
+1 to the 7mm-08. who'da thunk...elk are not armor plated :lol: CL

Congratulations to your daughter and to you. You both must be proud. Her for making the shot and you for setting up the rifle, ammo, and the hunt. I am happy for the both of you.

Dan

Back