Cloud 9.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Busted a mature doe this morning with my Dad's 348. She also busted me, and I had to abort the plan of letting her walk by to shoot her broadside, and instead took a hard quartering too shot at a steep downhill angle before she blew out of there. In my time concentrating on the front post and reminding myself to hold low and to the right as the gun was shooting high and left for me, the deer must of squared up to me straighter than I initially thought. A sapling was blocking the crease at the base of her neck and the inside of her left shoulder so I was relegated to keeping it as tight along her left shoulder as possible. The bullet entered the back half of her shoulder, went right back out the shoulder, took out 3 ribs in a row before ever entering the body. Thankfully there was just enough of an angle to get in, and not just rake back the side. Completely obliterated the left lung into a pile of soup, and destroyed the left side of the liver. I imagine by then the bullet was in pieces, I didn't find it and it never punctured the stomach.

The deer ran about 80 yds splashing blood that was easy to follow from I'm assuming her mouth because the entry was high and the bullet didn't exit. After I found her I called my Dad and made arrangements for him and my wife to get to the deer to take pictures. Dad will be 82 in January and he was smirking like a possum. I believe he got a big kick out of the whole deal. I'm gonna frame that picture for a keep sake along with the filled out tag. The gun hasn't been hunting in 40 yrs and I hope Dad lives to be over 100, but you never know, I could never get this opportunity again. That doe means as much as any buck I ever killed, trust me.

2 pictures of the deer and gun before Dad got there, and then the picture of me and Pop.

This is the rib entrance, I should've measured this, I bet it's a 3" hole.

Congratulations on bringing your dad's old gun back to life. Very cool 8)

GREAT HUNT!!! So glad you got to fill your tag with that rifle and bring your Dad out for the recovery. What a cool memory you'll have.

That is great! No doubt your dad was pleased. Super account. The old .348 will flat git 'er done!

Congratulations! Looks like the 348 did its job, and you did your!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats! Good on you for getting the old rifle afield again, and for getting your dad involved.

Guy

Thanks all. One of the most satisfying things I've done in a long time. Several on here are the ones that planted the idea in my head to get the gun out and hunt with it. Before that it was relegated to just a neat old family heirloom that was kept stored and hidden in a closet or wherever Dad keeps it.

FOTIS":1tt8cuw5 said:
Why the faces blacked out?

Because unfortunately I learned several yrs ago that normal social behavior of good people I'm used to where I live, doesn't apply to "social media". People use pictures for all sorts of things including going onto sites they are not even members of and copying them to harass or degrade people on other sites where that kind of behavior is accepted.

Happy to read the old girl got the job done.
And yes the bigger the foot print the more likely you will be trolled and harassed. The only way to stop it is to stay off the internet or avoid places where it happens.

truck driver":3cjpoou6 said:
Happy to read the old girl got the job done.
And yes the bigger the foot print the more likely you will be trolled and harassed. The only way to stop it is to stay off the internet or avoid places where it happens.

I use a dynamic IP address and always access sites like this in a private or incognito window browser. Right now my IP address says I'm located in Atlanta, Georgia. As you can see in the picture I'm most definitely not in Georgia. Then next time it might say my IP address is in Zurich, Switzerland. It's unfortunate but it's the world we live in. I do everything I can to limit what the vile and despicable among us in the web world, knows about me. I'm not scared of any of it, I just don't want to deal with it.

what a wonderful day for all. congratulations and I am glad your father was still able to be a part of it

yeah, I think the ladies who are members of our forum, could write a book about disgraceful social behavior. Some of it is even threatening --sad!

Back