Second kill with 6.5-300 WBY

69gto

Handloader
Mar 6, 2016
I took my largest muley to date in Arizona with my 6.5-300 Wby. and 140g Nosler AccuBond. Range was 488 yards and the bullet angled through from left side ribs and exited right front leg. The leg bone was shattered into many pieces and I seen blood and bone marrow spray out on exit. Very impressive penetration, deer estimated at 300 lbs. on hoof. 28.5 in. wide 6x5 with eye guards, 37 in. mass and 201 in. gross. I would like to post some pictures but they are on my phone and I don't have a clue how to do it.

Wow, congrats! Great performance and one heck of a buck.

I'll PM you my phone number. You can text a couple of photos to me and I'll post 'em in this thread if you'd like.

Guy

Wow! What a buck! Posted for 69gto:

Dc6gSXSl.jpg

Wow, nice buck and good shooting. I am curious to know how fast the 6.5 was moving. I predict close to 3450 fps.

Wow, beautiful buck! Great shooting. What unit were you hunting if you don't mind me asking?

AFG270, It was unit 12b west, weather was hot and I expected the worst but for some reason the deer came down early. The guides thought that an earlier snow may have made them move.

69gto":36ulzk92 said:
AFG270, It was unit 12b west, weather was hot and I expected the worst but for some reason the deer came down early. The guides thought that an earlier snow may have made them move.
Thanks.

Congratulations, as elkhunter said, a-buck-of-a-lifetime.

Ya, folks don't realize that a 200" muley is a rare, rare thing. He's much larger than any mule deer buck I've ever shot.

That's a very serious buck. Trophy of a lifetime for sure.

69gto - your rifle is a factory Weatherby? How do you like it? I mean, obviously it did a great job for you.

Guy

That is a beautiful buck and a nice rifle too! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodness! Proof again that I shot "bambi" :shock: :lol: . That thing is a HORSE!!! Congrats..CL

Guy, it's a new factory ultra lightweight, they have a hand lapped barrel. I did free float it and bed the first 3 in of barrel. I really like it as I have been a Weatherby fan for many years. The Wby brake is very loud but I was able to watch the bullet hit. I had ear plugs hanging from my hat. Thanks every one for nice comments.

By the way the fella I shared a tent with killed a huge buck the day after I left, it was 25 in. wide but had more mass than mine and grossed 197 with only one small kicker. Over all out of 8 hunters in two camps there were 6 bucks that grossed over 190 in. Some didn't have big main frames but some long extra points. This was the first hunt in my life that I passed on bucks that were 180 plus.

Back