Young'n Smoked a Tom

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
My youngest daughter got her Turkey this weekend (here in WA you get 2 in the spring and one in the fall). We spent quite a bit of time together the last 2 weekends, trying to fill her tag, and she is really proud (me too). This is her first year hunting and she already bagged a doe, so she's had a pretty good year.

She used some Federal heavy game #4 in a Winchester Model 50 that was given to me by my dad. It patterns great (full choke) and he dropped stone dead.

He's all plucked and hanging in the garage for a few days. I'll roast him up next weekend. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic - it was getting pretty dark.

38951870261_c4d146a3af_z.jpg

Congratulations young lady that is a fine looking Tom :grin:.
5shot thank you for posting with a great photo (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

Congrats to the young Lady hunter on scoring a nice bird. They are not an easy query and takes some good hunting skills to be successful and succeed in harvesting.

Congratulations to your daughter on her fall Tom turkey.

JD338

Nicely done! Just curious, do the fall birds eat differently than the spring birds? Lived here in WA for 25 plus years, just never hunted turkeys.

Congratulations to both of you. That sure is a nice tom. I bet she will always remember the day she got with her Dad.

Dan

lefty315":1a87aclv said:
Nicely done! Just curious, do the fall birds eat differently than the spring birds? Lived here in WA for 25 plus years, just never hunted turkeys.

The Crop on this one was full of seeds. Definitely not eating bugs and such. I'm no great turkey hunter though.

One interesting thing was all the Marabou feathers they have in the winter. Like down on steroids. We saved a bunch so she could tie some flies.

Very nice to see another youngster do so well. She must have nerves of steel... :) That turkey would get my heart rate up.... CL

Excellent! A good looking bird. It'll be a treat when she dines on her own bird.

Back