My first Big Game kill ever

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
October 8, 1995, 0810 hours. Battle Mountain Wyoming.

Just came over from Germany as a Sergeant with a lovely pregnant wife and got stationed at FE Warren AFB May 1, 1995.

As a young kid in NYC, I only dreamt of this. No guns no hunting to speak of. Then my USAF career took me to 3 tours in Greece and one tour in Germany. In Germany, I finally had access to guns but hunting on a recently married E-4's paycheck was out of the question.

Anyway got here and my Fight Sergeant invited me along to hunt.

On the aforementioned morning he spotted a bull elk way out there. He related to me where the elk was and I finally spotted him through my Leupold Varix-III 3.5x10x40mm scope. I did a quick calculation and shot my MKV Weatherby Lasermark 378 Weatherby magnum. At the shot, he dropped and it as pretty much over. Not much for horns but man was I happy!!!!

My load was 270 Hornady Spire point propelled by 118 gr of Norma MRP (my handload). The bullet had a muzzle velocity of 3165 fps. Distance 778 yards. My dream had come true.

What a great story. Thank you for sharing it with us. And thank you for your service as well.

I see you have been a Weatherby man from the very beginning and there is nothing wrong with that as they are excellent rifles.

Did the rifle in the picture have a brake on it ?

Anyway, great story, thank you

Fotis and his Bees :wink: that was a very nice Elk and I am sure you had some very fine dining off him as well.
Fotis that shot was nothing to sneeze at great job (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

The first kill lingers in the dusty, hallowed halls of our memory. They bless us for a lifetime. There will be multiple kills after; but there will only be one first kill. Great story, Fotis.

Can't complain about that one Fotis. That smile says it all.
Would have been heck if he had jumped up and ran away with the rifle.:)>) I've heard stories about hunters laying the rifle across the rack and when they go to dress the deer it was still alive and jumped off running away with the rifle to never be found. LoL LoL LoL
I still remember my first Whitetail Buck and had him mounted so I wouldn't forget it.

Great story and and event which changed your life, congratulations. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great story and a great shot. Your first shot a big game animal was at 778 yards! That is confidence. Was the 378 Wby your first hunting rifle? You have obviously become extremely proficient with reloading, shooting and hunting.

Dan

My first was the 378. The second was a 25-06

FOTIS":rs93skvv said:
Still got the bullet too!
Surprised to hear that the bullet stayed in the Elk. Would have thought anything that big and heavy would have punched right threw.

Back