hunting on skis and snowshoes

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I knew Guy, Hodgeman and Cheyenne do and Jamila hunts Capercaillie in Sweden every year on cross country skis and if I had to guess Earle and salmon chaser also use them. But I was wondering how many others use them------and-----if you do what are you using? Thinking about getting some Back country type skis and some snow shoes for someone and since I haven't bought any recently, I was hoping for some recommendations

Gee I never had enough snow around here to try anything like that April so I'll refrain from suggesting anything.

April I have MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes and I really like them. They are USA made and are of very good quality. They have a heal lift for going up steep slopes which works very well and can be manipulated with your trekking poles very easily also. One thing I really like about them is that they have superb traction as the whole length around the snowshoe is part of the grip actually and it bites down into the snow and ice as well as the areas below your feet which have the traction spikes. They are quiet, or as quiet as snowshoes can be and are very stout.

I hope to get some more snow around here so I can get out and call some coyotes and hopefully a wolf. That would really be great if I could call one in. I'll try again this year. I've used my snowshoes during regular elk/deer/bear hunting season when the snow was deep enough, but they see most of their use after the season closes and I just enjoy getting out on them and use them to hunt wolves and coyotes.

The bindings are simple on these and work very well which is nice when gloves get wet and stiff. I have MSR trekking poles that I use with them, and I like them a lot also. Quick and easy to adjust and they stay where I want them to be. Trekking poles are a must have. Hope that helps.

https://www.rei.com/product/875164/msr- ... -snowshoes

David.

I've got some of both. My favorite snowshoes are MSRs, particularly in icy conditions.

Skis are really more about the terrain and the snow. I like the backcountry type XC skis with beefier bindings like the BCNs. If you like 3 pin you can go with those but they're more unusual these days. The backcountry skis are a little wider, and usually have a metal edge to bite into ice. They work well up here and are my preference most places.

If you have a lot of steep country to play in you can try telemark skis but I don't know much about them.

April,
Practically lived in snowshoes in my younger days , but I prefer skis , here is my favorite ones.20171215_172329.jpg
Very hard to track me with these! Lol

LOL good one Earle. Earle, got to play with a Grumman Goose a couple weeks ago, that was different

April, arranged everything you need in order to get that stuff for her. they are waiting for your call

I had to look up, Grumman Goose, and I must confess, I did not expect to see an Airplane.

Earle, those must be the ultimate float planes, but can you land on snow with them ? I am guessing not but have zero knowledge.

NY,
Those are Landes 2500 skis on my plane made for landing
In deep snow, used them for years for winter flying and wolf hunting.

I just bought a Rossignol Back country setup, Rossignol BC90 Positrack skis, BC Magnum bindings, BC X 6 boots and adjustable BC poles. Haven't skied them yet, the skis are 90mm at the tip, 68mm under foot so they should be good for a little float on softer snow. They also have steel edges for some turning ability if needed on easy downhill slopes and fish scale pattern under the mid part of the ski so you can climb without skins on easy to moderate slopes. If we get more snow here in Summit County, Colorado I'll find out if this old geezer can get around the sage flats on them in the high desert and easier mountain trails here in the rockies. http://noram.rossignol.com/US/US/home-n ... B%5D%3D805 you can change the filters on the right side for the appropriate categories of equipment you want to research.

MSR makes great snow shoes many different types depending on the type of terrain you will encounter. Check out REI.com for technical information. https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=snow+ ... oes&page=1 there is a link on the right side of the page to help you choose the right type of snowshoes.

Let me know if you want more info on skis, I know several folks who can help with back country touring equipment.

Bruce

I do a fair bit of snowshoeing, and heartily endorse the MSR snowshoes! They're terrific! The best I've ever used in 45 years of snowshoeing.

sdcQZkdl.jpg

The bindings are terrific. The flotation is excellent despite their small size. They're lightweight. The traction is incredible. I've worn them on steep, iced-over slopes, a half inch of clear ice, with no snow, just to get the traction...

I like snowshoes in general and have three pair, but these new MSR snowshoes are excellent indeed!

Re cross-country skis - I don't have any newer backcountry skis, just an old pair of metal edged skis from long ago when "backcountry" is needed. They don't turn well, but have some decent flotation. Also have a pair of what I'd call "general purpose" no-wax Atomic x-c skis that I LOVE! And my original pair of wooden cross-country skis from Norway. Those things are terrific! Even raced on them in years gone by. But, I haven't used them in a few years.

Hunting on snowshoes or skis is something I don't often do. Not usually necessary when I'm hunting deer or elk, and the black bear hit their dens about the time the snow falls here.

So, sometimes I'll use them while hunting coyotes (and hoping for a cougar) but normally the deer and elk herds move to lower elevations in my area, where the snow is not deep, and I can get around fine without snowshoes or skis.

I hope to ski a lot again this year, but so far our snow pack is pretty light. Have been up on snowshoes quite a bit already in an area that would be tough to ski.

Guy

I have hunted and worked on both skis and snowshoes during my employment in forestry and wildlife survey in Northern MN, WI and upper MI. For snowshoes, (this is relatively flat terrain in the Midwest), I used US military magnesium/cable shoes. They are very light, nearly indestructible, and make a good source of tinder for an emergency fire (I have also used this feature). The main features I needed for my service, multiple day wilderness trips, primarily by water routes, were near indestructability high flotation on crusted snow and sketchy ice. These shoes provided this in spades. They were also fire resistant (below the ignition point of magnesium obviously) so they could be rapidly de-iced over a fire. Maneuverability in heavy brush was secondary to flotation in open, unbroken country. I still take a couple of trout fishing trips into the wilderness each winter, and after 20 odd years, am still using the same shoes. These are in the "Huron" pattern.

I seldom used skis as the country was too brushy and they did not provide enough flotation on thin ice or slush crusted snow, or deep powder. When I did use skis, it was usually just a standard pair of "waxless" fiberglass cross country skis.

I like the MSR snow shoes as well. They are on the regular equipment list for elk season. I'm old enough to remember quite a few spectacular Blue Mountain blizzards where they really saved the day, particularly on packing out elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent information, thank you all. It looks like MSR is the way we will go on snow shoes, still undecided on the skis

Earle, I think John was asking you about the Goose. It is my understanding that the goose was only capable of landing on water and land, not snow.

Earle, Cheyenne, I envy you guys and your ability to fly. Always enjoyed our trips away from civilization in those small planes.

Who else here flies ? How many of you have used ( even as a passenger ) a small aircraft to fly into a back country lake to hunt, fish, and/or camp? We use to hire a float plane to take us into the interior when in Alaska, sometimes to do nothing but camp. I am assuming this is still possible ?

Oh ya - I've been a passenger in a lot of different planes in Washington, Alaska and Canada.

Landed on a lake in Alaska in a Grumman Goose for a backpacking trip.

Used a "Found" aircraft in British Columbia, landing and taking off from both rivers and lakes for a fishing trip.

Flew in an overloaded "Beaver" over the mountains of British Columbia on a fishing trip.

Have been a passenger quite a few times in an "Otter" going on our silver-salmon fishing trips in Alaska. That's a pretty big plane. Holds eight passengers as I recall, and this one received a major upgrade to the motor just a few years ago. Looking forward to another ride in that plane in September, 2018!
Yd51yncl.jpg

FSqXhz7l.jpg

Flew in a "Helio Courier" last spring, on my trip into the arctic for the grizzly hunt.
bQFkZcTl.jpg

Itty bitty helicopter belongs to my buddy Dale, and we went for a sight-seeing tour in it here in Washington at Lake Chelan. Dale often takes hunters & anglers into remote areas of Washington with his little helo.
gReqPILl.jpg

Huge distances and the lack of much of a road system make small planes a terrific way to get around in Canada, Alaska and even here in the more remote areas of our northwestern states.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to remember quite a few really great trips!

Guy

We fly almost every day from about mid June into September. Typically we have three groups in camp, we try to have at least one on a flyout on any given day. Weather is a problem in Southwest AK. Lots of morning fog will delay our departure sometimes. Most of our flying is done either in a 185 or a 206, about a third is in a Beaver. We have a group of four guys who come every year that combined with gear and lunch go 1300 pounds. They get a Beaver.
We don't own our own plane but use a local air taxi service with vast experience in the area.
Our arrangement is first out every day. IMG_2395.JPG
A 206 at Cabin Creek; I just let you in on a secret.
IMG_1404.JPG
In the 185 flying through Lake Clark Pass, going to Anchorage to get a broken tooth pulled last summer.
IMG_1154.JPG
Christina clowning around on the 185.
It's a great way, really the only way to get around in SW AK. Awesome views but typically I'm asleep before the plane gets off the water.

Ya - in the north - there really isn't any other practical way to get around. Plane, or don't go.

Guy

I've use my Iverson Snow shoes for years hunting coyotes and bobcats in the UP of MI during the winter. Back in 2013, we had 42" of snow just before deer season so I had to use them during the rifle deer season.

JD338

To be serious for a sec, as far as snowshoes are concerned, todays shoes really crack me up, first of all
The ratings on snowshoes has gone compleately off the clock........... Alot of them rated at 250lbs because they have solid webing, would likely not hold up 125lbs properly, in 3ft of loose snow. When the USAF did an extensive study in lots of deep snow conditions, they came up with the fact it took a 12"x 72"
Size to hold up a 225lb person.........
However because most people today are snowshoeing in
A foot of snow or less; a much smaller shoe can work as it is bottoming out by compressing the snow against the ground! A pair of 9"x36" Sherpa's I used for years spring
Bear hunting ( very popular in 80's/90's) 305_2.jpgwere hopeless in
4ft of loose spring snow, back then I weight in at 180lbs
And you would sink in 2 plus ft every step, so it was exhausting to travel even short distances. It always cracks
Me up to see pics of someone touting their favorite shoes
That are likely about half the size tbey need to be, but in the photo you can see they are in 6/8" of snow (about where I would take mine off and strap them onto
My pack.........
Yuppie shoes look cool and real easy to walk in, ( especially on a groomed trail) 244267_6181_L.jpgTrappers in Northern Maine usually used locally made; 20171221_125654_Burst01.jpg12"/60" & 10"/56" "Pickeral Style" for years, when traveling in 3' plus of snow.three-pairs-of-traditional-wood-frame-snowshoes-stand-on-end-in-the-EKKMBM.jpg
But if you had some beaver pelts in your packbasket it was still tough going! I will post a picture of the simplest,
Fastest binding ever devised, used almost exclusively
By professionals that spend weeks on tbe old "Webs"
Here on the LEFT :is the fastest, simplest binding ever devised, when you are trapping and take your shoes on and off all day long this binding is a lifesaver, 3 secs on or off!20171221_123457.jpg

Attachments

• 81df2b8e1da0a0eccebdd2ba1ac4f34a--love-winter.jpg
    81df2b8e1da0a0eccebdd2ba1ac4f34a--love-winter.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,023
I've experienced the hard way what you're talking about. Knee deep snow is not too bad, but deeper yep pretty hard work.

Me, about 1974, winter backpacking in the Sierras. Snow was crusted over pretty good on the ridge, but deep & soft in the valley below. I still have those old 10x56 snowshoes. I've repaired them a few times and have re-coated them with spar varnish a number of times over the decades. Very good for the soft stuff.

7sxe7mMl.jpg

vaY1G4zl.jpg

Got my first aluminum frame snowshoes, 9x30 Sherpas, in the late 1970's and used them a LOT. Far superior to the large old wooden snowshoes for mountaineering stuff - which is what we were doing often then. Mine are in "okay" condition but I really need to replace the deck material. Sherpa went out of business. Those were good shoes though, used by a lot of mountain rescue outfits.

The new MSR's are TOUGH. And light. They're favored by mountain climbers as well, going tough places with heavy loads.

It's always a balance though... How big a shoe? How much floatation is really needed? Etc... The thing I think MSR really got right on the new shoes are the bindings. They're just terrific! Very easy to adjust, easy to use, and they stay tight all doggone day. Nice...

Guy

Back