STARTING A FIRE

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
I know that many here have their own tried and true methods for starting a fire on a cold wet, snowy or rainy day. I used to have access to a military product that consisted of little blue pellets inside of a o/d green l wrapper, that weighed nothing and worked every time. It seems now that matches don't last more than a season or so, and I carry three waterproof containers, which never seem to light. I also carry three lighters, which seem to be somewhat dependable, but I never feel comfortable in being able to insure a nice warm fire for the middle of the day. I also carry a small bag of liken, and pine needles and pitch, for the initial start, but want to be sure of a 100% possibility of a fire under most any conditions. What are you guys using?

I carried water proof matches and tender when I hunted Montana this fall.
There are lots of U-tube formulas for making quick fire lighting materials.

I carry 2 waterproof containers, both containing a dozen Penley brand strike anywhere matches coated in Fletch Tite archery adhesive. They last indefinitely. Also in the container is a 1" square of the striker paper from the box, and some good birch bark shavings, and a few pitchy pine stump splinters. This winter, I've replaced the pine splinters with creosoted cedar utility pole shavings after testing. I still have a couple of the military trioxane bars in my secret reserve stash, they are also in my extreme cold kit.

I also carry a couple of lighters (the generic kind, tested, some seem to burn with a much higher flame than the Bic brand) and a wad of dryer lint in a small pint bag. On my snowmobiles, I also have a Mora fire knife, which contains a magnesium fire steel in the handle. Great utility knife, and a quality fire striker. This is in a waterproof container, threaded and taped double capped PVC pipe with as much dryer lint as I could stuff in there. Flannel and blue jean lint works best. The snowmobiles also have a small camp axe and folding saw that fits in the toolbox, also useful for recovery or towing operations. If you do get a fire steel, get 2 and use one to practice with. You don't want your first time to be with numb fingers under stress.

In the areas I cover when an emergency fire may be essential, birch and balsam fir are prevalent, so I don't worry too much about kindling of any sort other than the initial dry tinder. I have used all three of these methods to start a fire when I, or someone in the party, or even a random stranger NEEDED a fire quickly from -30F to a 3 day soaking rain.

This is the Mora fire knife, I'd recommend a bright color for obvious reasons. Does a good job on filleting a pike, gutting a deer, or shaving a spark plug wire also. https://www.amazon.com/Light-Fire-FireK ... fire+knife

A buddy gave me something once that seems to work well if you need a sustained flame to get things going. He's a plumber. He took the black adhesive plumbers use for certain pipes and poured it into the concave bottom of a soda or beer can. Once it hardens he cuts them into two or four pieces. I don't think a match will light them but a lighter will. The flame lasts for several minutes, depending on the size of the piece used. The nice thing is moisture won't affect them.

Hahahahah, old boy scout stuff for me.

Vaseline cotton ball, cotton ball/wax, rolled cardboard tied/wrapped with cotton string dipped in wax, dryer lint, etc.

Mini lighter, matches dipped, ferrocerium rod (the "flint and steel")

Sometimes, I carry my mountain man kit, just like they did in the 1800s...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You know, I'd forgotten about the Boy Scout tricks. I think I still have one rolled up news paper tied with a string and dipped in wax from 35 or more years ago. I saw it recently.

If weight isn't a issue I bring a propane torch when in Alaska or very wet areas. But that's only because it could save your life. They make small hand held ones too for lighting fires, and cigars.

MAPP gas works even better then propane too.

Lots of cool ways to get a fire going. I generally carry a lighter and a fire steel. Lint takes a spark like nothing else and birch bark burns like kerosene on a stick. All good ways of getting a blaze going.

For lighting a fire in wet conditions with suspect wood...a highway flare works like a champ.

I have a gas fired hurricane proof, wind proof lighter. It is completely sealed when closed and blasts out a flame when needed. I carry it only for emergencies and light it once or twice a year just to confirm that it's still working.

Part of my preseason ritual is replacing my fire kit. I Cary two. One is sealed in a ziplock bag, that's the one I use to build a lunch fire. I may not build one every day, but I'll do it a couple of times during elk season if nothing else for practice. I see it as a perishable skill.
The second kit is in a vacuum sealed bag. A couple of Alaska fire starters, Vaseline cotton balls matches and a lighter.
I know guys who have hunted elk in our area for twenty years and though they carry a kit, they've never started a fire. Next time you're in the mountains if you've never done it I recommend you give it a try. You might be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughters hunter safety instructor in Colorado was teaching survival one night and shared what he uses.

Mix IMR 7828 with women's finger nail polish remover. Form into small meatball shapes. Store in 35 mm plastic film containers. In the field crush the ball and light. Trust me, they work!!

He uses steel wool too. I couldn't believe how hot it got. As he suggested, take it out on a hike and try these in simulated conditions. Don't wait till your in a situation to try it out.

Don

Thank you guys for all of the mentioned, I have tried some of the same, and there are a couple I will test. I didn't mention I carry my stuff inside of two ziplock bags.

Bill

I know this was not exactly your question when you started this thread but with your permission

While I was home for the holidays, I was instructing 4 young girls (12 to 14) on how to handle a dog sled, build an igloo, and build and use a Kudlik, which is a lamp using seal oil and cottongrass for light and warmth. We concentrated on building a igloo first of course, as when in the igloo the Kudlik will heat the igloo up pretty quickly, and causes some melting, which is a good thing, as it freezes from the outside making it more air tight.

I know young women from the south, who were at a mall, would think those four girls had lost their mind LOL But we actually had a good day and night ( will it is always night right now )

In real time, we like road flares, for starting fires, and signaling. If possible we also take a small propane torch at least to base camp and then everything that has already been mentioned except matches.

Thankful. I don't even know how to respond. You are teaching them skills that I have never learned, and I would probably freeze to death under the same circumstances. Outstanding post thank you for it.

That is definitely something you'd want to know if you lived in that country!! Yeah, the kids at the mall might think they'd lost their minds....until the world turned upside down and people with those skills would be in good shape while the mall rats fell into extinction.

T.O.
Good stuff right there! Nice to keep the kid's up to speed on outdoor skills! Thats 5 Star stuff in my book! Good for you (y)
It actually amazes me how many folks have problems starting a fire, when we are Guiding fisherman here in the summer. We always go to shore, and have the traditional "fish fry" and for what ever reason, "city types", often ask while I am peeling potatoes or filleting fish, " want me to get the fire going" ???
Well we actually carry a small cedar box that has kindling and stove wood already split that is dry, to save time.
You could not imagine the performances some of them put on trying to get a fire going......... :shock:
If it's windy or raining 90 % can not get one started ........
Many have degrees from well known University's
Lots of these dudes are very well healed , but none of that
Seams to effect their fire building abilitys........
Once I was guiding a distinguished professor and he tryed
the first couple of days to get the fire going , first day he grabed my razor sharp axe and before I could stop him he attempted to split some wood finer, and wound up nearly cutting his foot! Second day he burned himself and the third day, he Simply asked me if I would like him to " peel the potatoes" :wink:
If your born and brought up in the woods things you take for granted, are almost total mysterys to someone that has never done it.
It's -15 below zero here tonite, but I can assure you either myself or T.O. Could whip up a " lean too" in 2 foot of snow, complete with bough beds and have a fire going
In very short order, it would not be the Ritz, but either of us could take care of ourselves instantly in very cold conditions....... We didn't learn it off YouTube, or out of a book........ we grew up with it. :wink:
We would know what we needed for wood, where to find it, how to arrange it, how to lite it, and how
to keep it going, and it would all be as simple as breathing !
It always amazes me when a client will say to me, " I am starting to get cold" maybe we should head back???? I will usually respond be saying " why don't you try zipping up your coat; all the way up" and put your hat back on ??? They almost always say " gosh I didn't realize I wasn't zipped up" so
5 min later " So how you doing ??? They respond " Oh I am much warmer now" or "I can't believe how much difference that makes" :shock:eba431e46301c7cdd412cde5eaaeddf8--native-american-wisdom-american-indians.jpg

Many great ideas here. I also carry the vaseline and cotton balls, along with fire starter squares that light when wet, two lighters, waterproof matches and ferrocerium rod (the "flint and steel"). All in sealed zip lock bags.

T.O.
Great to hear you are instructing youngsters, the world needs more people like you. Well done.

I carry cotton balls saturated with Vaseline, water proof matches and the steel striker as primary tools. Back up is a pint size plastic jar containing a small roll of shop towel soaked with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Excellent firestarter and doubles for sanitary use.

Thankful Otter":1d1uo0ms said:
Bill

I know this was not exactly your question when you started this thread but with your permission

While I was home for the holidays, I was instructing 4 young girls (12 to 14) on how to handle a dog sled, build an igloo, and build and use a Kudlik, which is a lamp using seal oil and cottongrass for light and warmth. We concentrated on building a igloo first of course, as when in the igloo the Kudlik will heat the igloo up pretty quickly, and causes some melting, which is a good thing, as it freezes from the outside making it more air tight.

I know young women from the south, who were at a mall, would think those four girls had lost their mind LOL But we actually had a good day and night ( will it is always night right now )

In real time, we like road flares, for starting fires, and signaling. If possible we also take a small propane torch at least to base camp and then everything that has already been mentioned except matches.
Thanks for that info Cheyenne.
But I have a question as to why you don't carry matches or did I miss read your post?

So Earl carries a box with kindling in his boat to save time, yet he peels potatoes. Unless its unseasonably dry and maybe you shouldn't be passing gas much less starting a fire in the mountains, it's going to take time. Probably why more guys don't practice. As was just pointed out, it's not automatic. Be interesting to start seeing reports on fire starting efforts from winter coyote hunts and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back