Elk Hunting this morning.

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Took a hike this morning, looking for song dogs or cougars. Didn't find any of those but I found these:IMG_1957.JPGIMG_1946.JPGIMG_1931.JPGIMG_1913.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always a joy to encounter wildlife. Shame it doesn't happen with the same frequency during hunting season. Great pictures of a great game animal.

Very nice! Beautiful bulls.

I have been looking at 2018 elk regs, so your pictures got my attention.

They were right at 500 yards. There is one in the brush upper right. He was spectacular but he never stepped out for a pic.

AFG, unless Don was hiking a long ways from where I think he was. Those bulls most likely come from a management unit that takes a minimum 14 to 16 points to draw a branch antlered bull tag. Thanks a long wait and if you started tomorrow, with tag creep it will be more. This quality of elk never come cheap.

Elkman":3v9lddzy said:
AFG, unless Don was hiking a long ways from where I think he was. Those bulls most likely come from a management unit that takes a minimum 14 to 16 points to draw a branch antlered bull tag. Thanks a long wait and if you started tomorrow, with tag creep it will be more. This quality of elk never come cheap.
I'd be in a rest home by the time I got drawn. LOL But seeing those bulls does get one motivated. Arizona elks regs came out and my son and I are hoping to get drawn there.

I'd be in a rest home by the time I got drawn
Me to or worse, and this is brutal country for old men. I have 6 PP in AZ, and may get serous there in a year or two.

Bill is correct it's a 16 pp draw. I was about 25 minutes driving and less than 1/2 hour hiking when I bumped into the bachelor herd. Only about 8 miles as the crow flies.
It is the Walla Walla unit. I've been hearing about an easy 400 inch bull in the area but didn't see him today. It's going to be chilly this week but no snow for a while. Next big dump I'll come back up to see what I can find.

Back