Wolf

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
We've got a wolf on the outskirts of town. Killed a deer in an orchard not far from town, and within 50 yards of a home.

Wolves are fairly new to our area - only being seen here in the past 10 years or so, and not frequently. We've always had bear, cougar & coyotes, but the wolves are fairly new to the area.

I'd say this one just followed the mule deer herd out of the mountains, down here to the valley where there's more food & less snow. I'll be keeping my bird dog on leash when we go for our walks now.

Perhaps I'll grab my telephoto lens and my camo, see if I can get a photo of this wolf. I'd like that. They're not legal game here in Washington.

Guy

Guy, a while back when asking Cheyenne for more information about the Grolar, she told me that in the Eastern United States they have the "Coywolf" or "Eastern Coyote" which is a coyote/wolf mix/breed. Do you have anything like that in Wash ?

You fellows back east. Can one shoot a "coy wolf" or are they also protected ?

I would someday like to experience the "pack's" of Arctic wolves Cheyenne talks about.

When I lived in Connecticut Coywolves were fair game any time of the year. They were eliminating a lot of family pets and our town went so far as to hire a trapper in an attempt to control if not eliminate the problem.

I think the coy wolf presents an interesting problem for ODFW/state troopers/ and the Feds.
ODFW has fought back against the Feds and done some shooting/culling on packs that have developed a taste for beef. A step in the right direction.
I haven't heard of anyone shooting a coy wolf, or even that they exist here. Given how excited folks get here when wolves get shot, don't think I want to be involved in the test case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europe - there might be some mixed breed critters out there, but these local critters are straight-up wolves, no doubt about it. I just haven't got a photo of one yet.

Guy

A good area, to at least hear wolves, would be NE Oregon. End of summer into September. Pack your kit, head to Tollgate Oregon. North on forest road 62. Camp at Squaw springs. To the east is the Wenaha wilderness, west is the WallaWalla. Two large packs in the area and quite a few ridges that afford access to great glassing.
The road on top gets pretty rough in places but as long as its dry a Subaru would probably make it.
Creep out the ridges and sit quiet I bet you hear them.

Wolf/Coyote hybrid have been found in Northern Idaho, so I'd assume they could be found anywhere.

:arrow: Yes they do exist, here's a 87 lb. 3 1/2 year old female.

Attachments

• P1040790.jpg
    P1040790.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,113
Guy,

We have three "classifications" of wolves in The Territories. Timber, Arctic, and Tundra. It is not uncommon to see packs of 25 and larger. I worked in Nunavut in 2016, darting Wolves from a helicopter and fitting collars on them, so we could track their movement. We see wolves quite often but dont really hunt them unless we are working to protect a Caribou breeding area ( and in some cases moose ). We do trap them and sell and use their furs however.
I had the opportunity to work with a group from the U.S. to study the coy wolf, but did not accept the offer, so I have no direct knowledge of that mixed species. I personally enjoy listening to wolves at night, and would miss them. Probably like those from New York, who can not go to sleep if they can not hear motor traffic.

I was camping over at my elk hunting spot about 75 miles from home one evening and I was sitting around the campfire by myself cooking some stew over the fire when some wolves on the ridge above me started howling. I think there were 3-4 by the sounds of things and they were singing pretty good! It was neat to hear them sitting there on a log in the dark.

I always regret making a post

YES--all three are "Grey" wolves. The Arctic are mainly on the Islands, the Timber ( also called Boreal ) is below the tree line and the Tundra travel above and below and follow the Caribou herds

We have a healthy population in WI. During my bobcat hunt, we saw a lot of fresh tracks. I have seen tracks 4 miles from town on my trap line. Like anything else the population needs to be kept in check. Our biggest issue is during the summer when they have pups. During that time, any dog in their territory is in danger if caught.

I hope to be able to hunt/trap one someday here in WI.

Thankful Otter":lmaxah2q said:

YES--all three are "Grey" wolves. The Arctic are mainly on the Islands, the Timber ( also called Boreal ) is below the tree line and the Tundra travel above and below and follow the Caribou herds

But, but, but... Couldn't some be black? :eek: :? Maybe they could be white? :shock: Doesn't that make 'em different? :? Okay, shut off the "snark" font.

Again, a marvellous demonstration of genetic isolation imposed by ecology.

I've been wakened more than a few times by wolves expressing their desires late at night. It is a mournful sound that would impoverish the north if it was stilled. Nevertheless, I do understand that their presence can introduce a measure of disquiet to residents in Cascadia.

David, I had to smile as I pictured those wolves "sitting there on a log" which singing. :mrgreen:

Guy, good luck on seeing them even when dressed in camo. They are shy and manage to make their appearance unexpectedly and disappear even more rapidly. Still, I have always loved seeing wolves when they appear.

We see very few even though our elk A/O has a pretty large pack. Fresh snow yields fresh tracks every day. Damn things cover ground in the canyons like a short hair covers ground pheasant hunting, or there are a lot more of them then the ODFW says there are.

Very cool Guy- I rate wolves as one of my favorite predators to see. Always a treat.

They are pretty spooky and tend to shy far away from human disturbance. Occasionally one will check you out close but most turn on the afterburner as soon as they see/smell/hear you.

You might try predator calling to get a photo- fawn in distress works but some wolves figure out the call really fast and won't come within miles of one.

April,
Here in Michigan, we have gray wolves. As far as I know, they don't get along even though they share the same territory.

Guy,
A couple of game cameras might be your best bet for getting pictures. I've gotten quite a few pictures of wolves on my Cuddeback cameras. Also, fwiw, I've seen wolves while sitting in my deer blind and driving my truck in the woods. In all my years of being around wolves, I've only walked up on them 2 times. Both cases it was 30 yards for a split second and then they were gone.

JD338

DrMike":2tsq8fqr said:
Thankful Otter":2tsq8fqr said:

But, but, but... Couldn't some be black? :eek: :? Maybe they could be white? :shock: Doesn't that make 'em different? :? Okay, shut off the "snark" font.

David, I had to smile as I pictured those wolves "sitting there on a log" which singing.

Excellent response to the trolls Dr Mike. I wish they would leave her alone!

And another excellent response Dr Mike to David--I too would love to see that.

CoyWolf or "Brush Wolfs" as we call them are an interesting animal . They are common here in Maine, runing up to sixty pounds on really large examples. They shot one about 5 years ago here that weighed 73lbs so am assuming that one was sorta like a 7' man , (Shaquille O'Neal)highly unusual.
They hunt exactly like a wolf, relaying in packs, their ear length is 1/2 way between a wolf and a coyote,and the bigger males can have a very square muzzle. But for what ever reason they never sound like a pure wolf......... their voice is always of the coyote. Top predator for the Whitetails :evil: IMG_1979.JPG

Guy Miner":2u9cnqbd said:
Perhaps I'll grab my telephoto lens and my camo, see if I can get a photo of this wolf. I'd like that. They're not legal game here in Washington.
Guy

Enjoy the chase with the camera. They can be challenging critters to find and even more challenging to get one to hold still long for more than an instant. On average, I've seen 1-2 a year for the past 15 years and only 1 out of those numbers would have afforded a shot with a rifle or camera (saw him running across a 200 yard snow-covered flat). Last one I saw was during deer season in November -- my daughter and I both had deer and wolf tags and while the wolf was within 200 yards, neither of us had a shot. VERY interesting animals to watch. I've yet to see any running in a pack.

When I'm driving by myself now I practice my wolf howls (I get funny looks from my wife and daughter if do it at home) so the next time I see one I'm going to see if a howl will slow or stop him long enough for a shot.

Europe":le4r54c7 said:
Guy, a while back when asking Cheyenne for more information about the Grolar, she told me that in the Eastern United States they have the "Coywolf" or "Eastern Coyote" which is a coyote/wolf mix/breed. Do you have anything like that in Wash ?

You fellows back east. Can one shoot a "coy wolf" or are they also protected ?

I would someday like to experience the "pack's" of Arctic wolves Cheyenne talks about.
April they do exist in MD and there is no closed season on them and can be hunted year round.
I have seen them behind my house in a field since I know longer have a dog to keep them away.
We do have less cats running loose in the neighbor hood and less rabbits.
They don't seem to be affecting the deer herds though, at least not in my area.

Speaking of Wolves I guess I can consider myself lucky since I saw 2 while hunting in Montana, one that was stalking me and one that was running down the road chasing deer in front of my truck as I was leaving for home. They were both lucky that they didn't give me the opportunity for a shot or I would have had two pelts. :)>)

Ya, I may well have missed my opportunity to get a photo. Had a deluxe setup.

The wolf had killed a deer, not 50 yards from a friend's house in an orchard on the edge of town. I was going to set up in the house, with my telephoto lens and see if I could get a photo of the wolf.

Deer carcass is already reduced to pretty much nothing, with only a few magpies flitting about it.

Last spring in Alaska, I saw wolves that were black, wolves that were white, and was surprised to never see more than one at a time. They seemed to be solitary hunters, at that time, in that place anyway.

Guy

Back