Caribou Hunt Outfitter Recommendations

Silent Sam

Handloader
Dec 22, 2010
I'm looking for recommendations for an outfitter for a Canada caribou hunt for 3-4 hunters in 2019/2020. I I appreciate any help.

where do you live ?

No reason to fly to the west if your on the east coast and to be honest there is no reason to fly all the way to Nunavut, although the caribou hunts there are relatively easy, as you will float plane in and then boat around the shores glassing, before you disembark and start your stalk. Yukon Barren Ground Caribou will be an on-call hunt as they migrate and may not even be available to hunt during the hunting season. So, at least in the Yukon the Mountain Caribou hunt will be easier to plan for and most of these hunts in the Yukon involve horseback transportation . BUT, there are many places closer to the states than the Territories. Also, some of the hunting in the N.W. T. are closed to caribou hunting. If you can post the state in which you will be traveling from, I will send you a p.m.

Leaving from Va. Should have explained better knowing all the western guys here. Looking to go straight north.

Now that caribou hunting has been shutdown in Quebec and Labrador, going straight north (or as straight north as possible) is going to leave you with Newfoundland, or eastern Nunavut.

You should also look at Greenland, seeing good hunting there with rifle and compound bow. Pair a caribou with a muskox and it will be roughly $12,000 for the hunt plus travel, etc. Loking at this hunt myself in the future. Over $10,000 less than in the Yukon or NWT.

Quebec caribou hunting is completely shutdown? Not looking at NF. If go back there it will be for moose.

Quebec caribou hunting at this moment has been shut down for 2018 and 2019, and no one knows what will happen after that. The outfitters in Quebec blame the Natives, as there are more than enough Caribou in Quebec to allow hunting. Basically the disagreement is over boundary lines and ownership maps ( Quebec, Nunuvat, Native Canadians)

Having just returned from Greenland I would agree with Gil, especially since N.F. does not interest you, but Nunavut is an option, as I mentioned earlier. I also sent you a pm with more specifics a couple of days ago.

Curious why more of you fellows from the States have no interest in Caribou hunting. ?

SilentSam,

I would not discount NFld so quickly, as it the only option left for a good chance at the Woodland caribou, as the herds in BC are threstened and there are fewer opportunities here for that species, and who knows how long that will last (as our new gov't has already shutdown all grizzly bear hunting).

They are not as large as other species of caribou, and are not as far north, but they are a very distinct species and the bulls have some of the coolest antler configurations of any caribou species. They are also smaller in body size, which means less to carry across the tundra or bogs after you get one down. If you have never done this, you will quickly learn what this means once you do. Truly an experience you must experience first hand to appreciate! I was talking to an archery colleague last fall that said a caribou hunt in Nfld runs about $6000 CAD.

Good luck in your adventure, wherever you decide to go! Caribou hunting is a very unique experience that everyone should experience at least once!

Curious why more of you fellows from the States have no interest in Caribou hunting. ?[/quote]

Being from Iowa I have a Big interest but would like to drive up to where I begin my Hunt because I would like to bring the meat home. It is on my list.
I also don't understand why the price has risen so sharply. I hate seeing hunting going to where only the rich can go, it needs to be where the working man can afford it or hunting will come to a end.

1100 Remington Man":qm5k3sc0 said:
Curious why more of you fellows from the States have no interest in Caribou hunting. ?

Being from Iowa I have a Big interest but would like to drive up to where I begin my Hunt because I would like to bring the meat home. It is on my list.
I also don't understand why the price has risen so sharply. I hate seeing hunting going to where only the rich can go, it needs to be where the working man can afford it or hunting will come to a end.[/quote]

Contact Hodgeman or Bear. there are some good DIY hunts available in Alaska that are affordable, Outdoor international recently had a picture of a young lady with her caribou some of you know.

I would talk about the problems we are having in Canada ( Govt, Natives, Animal activists and even some outfitters who have created a problem ) that is making it harder and harder to hunt Canada, but my post would be copied and sent to a dozen different agencies in Canada so I will say no more

Dr Mike, Gerry, Gil

you fellows from B.C.

Is the ban in Quebec on Caribou like the ban oil Grizzly's in B.C. ?

Does someone from the U.S. have to have a guide to hunt caribou in B.C. or is it like Alaska ?

Thankful Otter":32zmmkzg said:
Quebec caribou hunting at this moment has been shut down for 2018 and 2019, and no one knows what will happen after that. The outfitters in Quebec blame the Natives, as there are more than enough Caribou in Quebec to allow hunting. Basically the disagreement is over boundary lines and ownership maps ( Quebec, Nunuvat, Native Canadians)

Having just returned from Greenland I would agree with Gil, especially since N.F. does not interest you, but Nunavut is an option, as I mentioned earlier. I also sent you a pm with more specifics a couple of days ago.

I think there is interest, but Canada's requirement that non-Canadians must be guided severely limits the potential pool of hunters. Alaska is DIY if one so desires and as such there's plenty who come here for them.

The requirements in BC are that Americans (non-Canadians) must be guided for pretty much all game. There are various reasons given, but a major reason likely has to do with the GOABC as a lobby group.

Am not too interested in a woodland caribou type hunt. I have hunted moose in NF and know outfitters there that can accommodate. Perhaps I'm a few years too late for a fly-in drop camp hunt for barren-ground caribou...

DrMike":3usugucd said:
The requirements in BC are that Americans (non-Canadians) must be guided for pretty much all game. There are various reasons given, but a major reason likely has to do with the GOABC as a lobby group.

Same in AK with brown bear, sheep and goat. What makes a resident hunter more qualified to shoot a goat, sheep, or brown bear than a non-resident hunter has always escaped me. Good for the guides I guess.

It's the same thing for Wyoming in Wilderness areas. A Law to keep the Public out of Federal lands to support the Guideing business, plan and simple. Total B.S.

Back