Colorado 2nd and 3rd rifle Cow Elk question.

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Going over what I'm putting in for 2018 and wanted some input as to weather there's any advantage to hunting Cow Elk in the 2nd rifle season instead of the 3rd?

Not sure where you're going but on the W. slope it's been summer - like for both 2nd and 3rd the last 2 years. No one can see the future for sure, but I'd say 3rd if you have the choice. Better chance of a little weather.

I’m putting in for a 3rd rifle deer for unit 66 and thought about applying for the cow tag too. I think I finally have enough points for the deer tag. I’ll more than likely save the points I have for Elk for Bow hunting.

1100 Remington Man":ham2mj7f said:
If you had six points where would you go ?

Man, when you figure it out keep it to yourself. [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Grew up there but now I'm a NR. Everywhere I want to go is 17 plus. I have 2. Hope they set up the rules to allow a person to will their points to their children. [emoji6]

If you go to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website and look at the draw statistics that will give you a lot of info on where and what season to apply for. Generally more tags are issued for the 3rd season, and with the fact that most units have less applicants for 3rd the odds are better. If you are looking for good odds to harvest a cow elk avoid the OTC bull units, usually way more hunters. My wife Kelli and I used to draw about every other year for 3rd season cow in unit 76, but since the huge fire in 2013 our hunting places were burned up. Unit 79, 66, 67, 551, and 55, aren't bad units for cow numbers, the latter 2 are OTC bull, but when we hunted 551 we didn't seem to have many other hunters around. 6 points should about get you a cow tag anywhere you would want to hunt. Good luck with where ever you decide.
Keep us posted.
Take care
Ed

Back