Moose Hunt 2018

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Since Sue and I are going to tie the knot this summer,
we decided to delay our honeymoon by a couple of months. We booked a "Huntingmoon" Moose hunt in
Newfoundland. Should be and adventure as we start
the next chapter in our lives.
The fireplace is going to be big in our new home to
have two moose mounts above the mantle!
I'm going to use the 338 RUM with the 265 gr ABLR and Sue will use her M48 280 AI with the150 gr PT.
This is the Trophy Hunt so hopefully we will get on to some bigger bulls in the 45-50" range.
It's certainly going to be an exciting year for us!

JD338

Nice! You won't regret it and you should have a lot of meat to bring back with you if it goes well. Newfoundland probably is the best place to hunt moose these days........

Good choice, Jim. That should make for a full freezer and a locker full of memories!

Congrats on both Jim. That sounds like one cool adventure all the way around!

Congrats Jim on both tying the knot and the upcoming moose hunt. I was fortunate enough in 1999 to obtain a Maine moose permit after 17 years of applications. Trying again with no luck. My buddy and I have a 2019 moose hunt planned for Newfoundland. I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the area and the hunt itself.

Congratulations Jim on your up coming Wedding and then to book a Moose Hunt for your honeymoon it can't get any better than that (y) .
Jim are you taking your 280AI as a back up?
Please remember lots of photos of both the Wedding and your Honeymoon/Moose Hunt :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

JD, it's time for your the 35 Whelen to come out of the safe, There, someone had to say it ;)

Good luck. I'm headed to AK on my first moose hunt also. 300WM with 180gr Accubonds will be accompanying me.

Good luck. I'm headed to AK on my first moose hunt also. 300WM with 180gr Accubonds will be accompanying me.

My wife better not find out about your hunt. We just got WY antelope for our honeymoon!

mcseal2":22glj9sb said:

My wife better not find out about your hunt. We just got WY antelope for our honeymoon!
Need more information on your moose hunt[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas. We are pretty excited about the hunt.
So here is the deal.... I've known this outfitter for 20 years and he is set us up with his Trophy Hunt package. We are staying at the main Lodge, which we will have to ourselves in the evenings. After breakfast, we will be flown out to a remote valley via helicopter to hunt for the day. At the end of the day we will return to the lodge for dinner and relaxing. The outfitter is striving to get us on 45-50" bulls which are very respectful animals by Newfoundland standards.

JD338

gerry":38py5sgr said:
JD, it's time for your the 35 Whelen to come out of the safe, There, someone had to say it ;)

Gerry,

Not a bad idea. A 250 gr PT at 2450 fps would certainly get the job done.

JD338

JD338":1zpr2b4r said:
Thanks fellas. We are pretty excited about the hunt.
So here is the deal.... I've known this outfitter for 20 years and he is set us up with his Trophy Hunt package. We are staying at the main Lodge, which we will have to ourselves in the evenings. After breakfast, we will be flown out to a remote valley via helicopter to hunt for the day. At the end of the day we will return to the lodge for dinner and relaxing. The outfitter is striving to get us on 45-50" bulls which are very respectful animals by Newfoundland standards.

JD338

Wow! That is going to be quite a hunt... Bad weather and flying don't often go together. Is there a backup plan if the helo can't fly due to weather?

Buddy of mine got a Newfoundland moose two years ago, and came back with hilarious tales of hunting with the "Newfies." (y)

Best of luck on what should be an incredible hunt!

Guy

Honeymoon and a moose hunt. Best of both worlds. You will look back someday and realize how unusual it is to have those 2 worlds together in the same week. Congratulations and I wish you much success in both ventures!

gerry I like the way you think in regards to recommending to Jim that he break out his 35 Whelen. If the Whelen goes along with both his and Sue's 280AI he will have -06's big brother & it's little brother :mrgreen:.
Anyways Jim no matter which of your rifles you take I am sure it is going to be a very exciting time and I am sure looking forward to a couple good stories and photos of yours and Sue's time in Newfoundland (y).

Blessings,
Dan

gerry":2aqhdna5 said:

A wise suggestion for a noble firearm! (y)

Back