2018 Big Game Plans?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well, it's a plan. Who knows what will actually be happening this coming season?

Washington:
Am going to apply for, and likely obtain, a "multi-season" deer tag. Allowing me to hunt deer with bow, muzzle loader or rifle, in the appropriate seasons. I really want to give archery mule deer a strong effort this coming year.

Archery elk. Yup. Going to try. Local herd, not far from town. Will be happy as all get out if I get a shot at a cow! Have some scheduled interference with the season, so will only have a limited time. Still, I'll make the effort. Elk meat is GOOD.

Bear... You'd think I would have had enough of bear hunting? Nope. Seriously want to take a bear lured in by predator call... Very excited about that. Perhaps with a revolver. When that bear came in to 15 or 20 yards in the fall of 2016... I was hooked! Haven't made it happen again but I'm trying. Learning. Trying harder... Bear sausage has become important table fare here as well.

Wyoming:
Returning to northeastern Wyoming for the 5-day mule deer & antelope hunt, this time with a good friend. Hoping for success, and very much looking forward to the hunt. The only time period we could make this work was the first week of October, I'm usually there a couple of weeks later. Should still be good hunting and a fun trip.

Intend to take both the 30-06 & 25-06 Rem 700's to Wyoming. Oddly, both now have 6x Leupold scopes! :grin:

Plans for up to five big game hunts... We will see if I can make 'em all happen.

Your plans?

Guy

Going to put in for deer,cow elk and javelina here in New Mexico.

My 2017-2018 javelina hunting season starts tomorrow and goes till March 1st.

Australia with gal pals

Arizona with son, daughter and granddaughter

Austria with granddaughter

I'll apply for a spring bear tag in the Blue Mountains. Neighbor gave me some sausage made by a guy over in Elgin. It was good.
Still ruminating on going up to help with spring Grizz on the peninsula, but family issues will probably prevent that.
Still building points for antelope. The season conflicts with Alaska. When I give up guiding fishermen I'll cash those in.
Applications for Oregon deer and elk.
Mid October is a drop camp in Colorado, 1st season bull. A draw hunt but we have a couple of points, mathematical we should draw. Tough part will be living at sea level for four months just prior. Two weeks ain't much time to get use to thin air.
I'll still be guiding bird hunts on the ranch but plan on scaling back to two maybe three days a week. I am retired after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to applying in Colorado for Elk as I have eight points. Well We did it I & my Best friend applyed for 1st season tags in some good areas. I wish I lived there so I could scout it. It's always a bitch walking into new Country you have never seen on a DIY hunt for Elk.
If we get lucky and pull a tag for unit 76, it's a one shot deal at my age and would probably hire a Guide.

Iowa Deer Hunting I hope to hunt Muzzleloader season if it does not interfere with Elk hunting. If it does I will hunt during shotgun season.

As always Pheasant hunting Wild Birds & Waterfowl in Iowa as I have a boat and blind on it and always take nine days to hunt in Western Iowa with my Father and many more days on the Mississippi River Duck hunting.

The usual caribou and moose hunting in the Alaska Range. Going to do more bird hunting this year as well, found a honey hole for cranes if we can pull it off. Potential trip to Kodiak to chase blacktails.

I put in for a bunch of archery moose tags- we'll see how the draw treats me there, but getting something with a bow is pretty high on the list. Also in for long shot draws on bison and sheep, but those are too low of a probability to even contemplate.

I'll put in for Moose and Sheep again here in Montana. Hopefully this will be the year!

I will hunt elk, deer, and black bear as usual. I really enjoy getting out in the spring for bear. Like Guy I sure would like to call one in and get it using my bow. I shoot a 60# Martin Hunter recurve. Try and take another turkey this spring also. I'll continue trying to get a wolf. I haven't made that one happen yet.

Antelope - Will likely apply for a permit for an antelope. Not sure what district I'll try. I really enjoy hunting antelope and I love the meat.

Multiple deer tags and a bear tag are in my plans. Killed deer with three different guns and calibers this past yr and would like try at least 1 different 1 this yr.

Hunting BC, as per usual. Moose, elk, whitetail, maybe mule deer, black bear and perhaps lynx. Now, just finding time to fill a few tags.

hodgeman":3j5wjozu said:
The usual caribou and moose hunting in the Alaska Range.

Yeah, yeah... Just rub it in... :grin:

Best of luck on those hunts. Being able to do the "usual caribou and moose hunting" is pretty amazing!

Guy

Spring Turkey
Summer Crop Damage Deer
Applying for fall Black Bear
Applying for MI Elk
Archery Deer
Rifle Deer
Moose in Newfoundland

JD338

the usual harvest of moose, grizzly, sheep and caribou, usually several caribou

this year I will be extremely busy and not home a lot, so we possibly will not hunt deer, goat, muskox or bison this year, as time is not our friend. We quit hunting black bear as they are just too easy and the reward ( hide and meat ) is not worth our time. We have to travel south a bit to hunt Goat and deer and north for muskox and we just will not have the time to do so . We might change our mind about hunting the bison, time will tell.

Dr Mike, how close to home can you hunt Elk ? Hope you harvest some nice Lynx, they can be pretty.

Hodgeman, good luck on the storks. That is too cool.

Guy. will your bear hunt be in Alaska again ? are you still going to check out the Polar Bears and Muskoxen ?

Elk are within a fifteen minute drive, though I usually drive about forty-five minutes to hunt them. Ditto for moose, though quite a few moose (almost always cows and calves) winter over in town. My daughter almost backed over a young cow last week. Whitetail have become abundant and are often seen in fields on the edge of the town. As I drove up to lead a Bible study last evening, two mule deer were feeding in the yard next to the house where I was to be. We have frequently had both moose and mule deer bed down in our yard. Lynx are often seen prowling around our church services, as are moose and mule deer. We have black bear wander into town frequently during the spring months. Grizzly and mountain lions have been reported on the edges of town, though I have never personally seen sign of grizzlies or lions.

I have applied for a bull tag for the Gila in NM.

Cow elk in Wyoming

Also have the option of hunting Idaho and Oregon for elk and deer as well.. Those are all of the big plans so far.

Chances are I'll be toting my Mashburn and one of the other 70's along for some extended hikes..

We drew for the 7th and 8th of April on Lanai for Axis deer. We are headed down the 3rd to Maui and will hang out with the family until the 6th and then head over to Lanai for 2 days, then back to Maui for 2 days, and then head home. My dad, my hunting buddy, and I are going hunting.

If I can swing it all I'm going to try to spend close to a month in AK this fall. I put in for a caribou draw but my main goal is to go sheep hunting Aug 10th. After 10 days of that we will head to Kodiak for deer and caribou (provided I don't draw). If all fails I will go moose hunting mid Sept.

Here in ID I'll apply for a antelope, extra deer, and extra elk again plus buy a non-resident elk (and possibly deer) in addition to our normal tag.

We will put in for UT cows again and should draw this year. This will actually be in Jan. '19 though.

Wow! there are some great hunts here, great hunts!

Love how easy and casual some are, like Hodgeman and Dr Mike about some really nice hunting

We will look for whitetails and turkeys here on the east coast and Elk in Montana

p.s. Idahoctd, a month in Alaska and a couple of weeks in Hawaii, that would work for me, wish I could afford it

We are only in HI for 1 week or I guess 8 days technically. I think I can squeeze 3 weeks by the wife in AK but 4 might be pushing it. It definately helps to have friends up there to help get hunts cheaper but it will still be expensive. I always figure out some gun deal every year to pay for most of my hunting trips every year.

Thankful Otter":1f0fsjeg said:
Guy. will your bear hunt be in Alaska again ? are you still going to check out the Polar Bears and Muskoxen ?

We'll be hunting our "backyard bears" here in Washington.

Someday yes, someday I'd like to go visit the polar bears & musx ox! (y)

Guy

Archery elk and blacktail rifle deer in OR and buy points for deer,elk, and pronghorn. AZ., apply for deer,elk, and sheep. Utah, apply for deer, elk, moose and sheep.

Back