Some mornings it doesnt pay to get up!

That is a pretty awesome hold on the right side of the one coyote. Yeah, it didn't pay for those two. On the other hand...

Indeed. I don't mean to embarrass that front coyote on a public forum, but his hide is open.

35 Whelen":1ot9csc1 said:
They looked tired;.........: and like they needed a ride!

Bet that's how I looked when I drug my butt through the door at work today. D@ng shoulder is hurtin' Kinda looks how I feel. :evil: On the other hand.... if you were behind the trigger, looks like a fun way to spend the morning. All that before breakfast I'll bet. :) CL

Just a Rem 700 SPS in 25/06, with a Sightron S TAC 4/12x,nothing fancy.
90gr BlitzKings , one super nice set up for long range Coyotes. At 300 yds it gives awesome instantaneous " lightning bolt kills! But for distances under the 300 yds my bait is located;
Both the 22/250 (65gr SGK),and the 243 ( 70gr Armageddons), work just fine as well. However I have found over the years, that unless they are hit just right, out behond 250 yds, both of those calibers, that work like Magic at 150 yds; are simply just not: A 25/06 at 300 yds, the extra sting of of this wicked cartridge is very noticeable out past 250 yds, where I am shooting them 99% of the time ..... but that's just one mans theory. I can only imagine that a R.E.M.
Sendero in 264WM would be even more or a nitemare to a coyote ?? :wink:

Earle, thank you for sending them back to their maker! Nice shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you are most certainly welcome, I bear down on them hard here simply because they are such an effective predator on our very limited Whitetails we have left! If it were not for that simple fact, like the many
foxes I have show up at the bait, I probably would not bother them at all. They are actually quite an animal
However, because I am so aware how hard they are on our Whitetails during the long winters, I really feel like
doing everything I can to try to protect them. As I write this we are in the middle of a bad storm predicted to
leave us another 15" of snow, this is NOT an easy place for deer to survive, I like to see them, hunt them, and enjoy venison, hence the addiction to help them with their worst enemy!
E

Earle, the small game including the Whitetail take a licking from our large coyote population here in Saskatchewan and we try to take them out every time we see them.
Last Whitetail season we took out 6 during the course of the week, I belong to a hunting group on FB from southern Saskatchewan they are keeping count, the group likely has a dozen or so real active coyote hunters and their running total is just touch the 1000 mark this winter.
I am glad to see your 25 Whelen is still on the mark (y).
Thank you for the post & photos.

Blessings,
Dan

How do you immediately know when you're outclassed as it relates to hunting opportunity? Whenever someone refers to whitetails in their area as "small game." Sask boy that's classic! :grin:

Dan, that's a huge number of coyotes! Wow my best year ever was 17, so not much to brag about now.......
Interesting fact around here because of the super dense cover for them most folks around here have NEVER
shot one! Once on a quail hunt out of Woodward Ok; down along the N Canadian River, I shot 5 coyotes in one day;( there were 100's of them on the ranch in hose days) That is something that would never happen here in Maine, at least in daylight! I have had doubles some and one triple but always at nite. Though I will brag; most of the time when I tell guys that have shot lots of coyotes in broad daylight; that I have shot them out to 465 yds at nite! They usually go blank with a "really"??? Or is that possible??? Or more often " I find that hard to believe" lol
Anyway I guess over the last fifteen years we avg 8/10 a year off our baits. With some beauty's
Among them; the over 40lbers; with prime fur, we ship out
For tanning, then hang them in the lodge for sale. Lots of folks
love to grab one before headed home! Here is a 45lb male that's almost 64" ;not a monster but just a good one.IMG_2154.JPG
The latest data shows Maine Coyote/Wolf to be 8/9% wolf DNA, with animals up to 73lbs recorded
With 26" shoulder heights and up to 6' long from nose to tip of tail! They are biggies!IMG_2153.JPG

Well here is another one that had big problems trying to pass the bullet proof
test?? He was shot with the 6.5x55 and those 123gr SST bullets Hornady made
For the Grindell, sifting along at 3k fps, only 170yds and it literally cartwheeled him
Impressive combo! No exit and when I picked him up his internals sound a lot
Like a 1/2 melted bag of ice cubes? Called him out off a fresh track from the snowmoble, and shot him in
The chest, poor fella thought he was having rabbit for lunch! 46 lbs with prime Feb fur.20180206_113036_Burst01.jpg
The English Setter under the tree weighes 42lbs.

Back