Adventures in deer hunting.

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Killed this buck a few years ago all the way back at the top of the ridge. Buddy says his restored and cherry Bronco can get there. Yours truly hanging off the spare tire hooking up the tow rope when we didn't quite get there. I only got wet to my elbows, the Bronco needed some work.IMG_2021.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine buck. Sounds as if you worked for this one. That makes it all the sweeter.

First rule of off-road driving. Light vehicle, heavy throttle...heavy vehicle, light throttle. Bet he could have skipped it with enough speed :twisted:

You can cross anything with enough velocity, just a matter of what breaks on the way. Looks like a fun trip, with a lot of added work and memories. Some of the best ones are made with hardship.

I remember saying go go, he stopped halfway across then we were done.

But you've got some great memories from that trip, and a good story to tell!!!

I like the Pictures wish I would of taken more when I was younger. My rule today is chains are to get me out of rough country not into it. I still carry chains for both front and back when out west but I have had to many days digging stuck trucks out of snow and mud. Besides it ruins a day of hunting. Nice Deer

Nice buck.

Ya, my various trucks have taken me some pretty cool places over the years. Either while hunting, or just prowling the backcountry. Best be prepared for getting stuck.

The first time I remember getting stuck on a hunting trip was when Dad dropped a wheel into a ditch, while driving our Rambler station wagon out to our afternoon dove hunt location. About 1967 or 1968 I'd guess. Farmer with a tractor pulled it back onto the road.

I may have been stuck a few times since then... :mrgreen:

Guy

salmon chaser

one of the scariest times in my life was when I was a child hunting with my father in Arizona and out of nowhere there was a flash flood. We escaped, but barely and it was something I will never forget.

I became a thunderstorm ( and weather in general ) watching junkie from that time forward

Rol_P and I had a tense time coming off the mountain this fall after the snow had melted and the road thawed out.
Montana mud is nothing to mess with and if you don't believe me ask Rol_P.
It did get right tense trying to keep out of the ditch or going off the road over the side of the mountain since the mud loads up the tires and makes it impossible to steer at times. Keeping the outside tires in a rut is all that saved us a few times.

I always have chains and a tow cable in my rig, not those girly chains either. Reinforced cam locks. You can really get stuck with those [emoji57]

In the early 80's the wife and I drove my daily driver to Montrose Colorado for an elk hunt. A chevy 1500 with a 350 engine. It had 12X36" mudders, heavy overload shocks and springs on all 4 corners, locker in the rear and a limited slip in the front. With a heavy front bumper with brush guard and a 8500 lb. warn winch. The transmission was a 4 speed in the floor with a granny gear for 1st. It took at least 36" mudders to get through our red clay ruts and deep mudholes and I still had to use the winch several times to get us out of the slop.
Prior to the trip we had installed a full custom seat for comfort and a killer sound system. The truck was just long/short enough for both front and rear wheels to hit the expansion joints on I-40 all the way from Tennessee to Texas. Felt like a stagecoach.
I was surprised at the reaction we got in Colorado. Nobody had big tires or a winch. They just kept walking around it and looking.
A couple of years later around Chama, New Mexico the outfitter and guides were better set up. The main difference was they used tall, skinny mud tires hoping to dig through the mud and snow to something solid. Where we used tall wide tires to help float over the mud and water. I still don't know which works best.
I kept a logging chain and a snatch rope in the truck at all times. Mostly to pull stuck vehicles out of my way.
Now I use a Polaris twin with a warn winch for that kind of stuff. Priceless.
This doe fell in a spot so thick I couldn't get the polaris to it and do to my age and bad joints dragging it any distance was out of the question. So I pulled the cable out as far as possible then using a series of long ropes I winched her through the briars, bushes and saplings until I could get her hooked up.

Attachments

• Deer retrieval.jpg
    Deer retrieval.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 800
  • SS850002.JPG
    SS850002.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 800
In Oregon kinda depends where you are. Mudders in the cascades to the coast. In the high desert where it almost never rains, less then 9 inches, the kids and city boys run big wide tires, the cowboys run tall narrow tires.

Moose hunting up in the northern forests of Saskatchewan has had its moments :shock:. But a good winch and chainsaw can get you in & out of most places. However we have had a couple of big bulls that we thought a helicopter would have worked a lot easier than 10 hours of cutting and dragging.
I know when I was Moose hunting with Gil and gerry :wink: Gil enjoyed taking a few road that were bit steep to say the least :lol:. He had me hanging on the HP handles more than once :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Adventure in Pheasant hunting. You Guys might like this one, years ago Hunting Pheasant’s in Iowa on New Years Day and my Dad was driving my F150 and we had deep snow that year and he cut the corner to much and it sucked us into the ditch. Put my Truck on its side and I have to tell you a door is heavy trying to lift it straight up, then it dawned on me I had a sliding glass window and we crawled out into the bed of the truck with Me laughing my ass off. He said what the Hell I thought was so funny and I told him I had never seen him do something so dumb in my life, and tears can’t screw it back together.
Then He volunteered to walk to a farm for help and I said let’s try and push it over and after a little rocking we had it on it’s wheels and I put in 4x4 and drove down the ditch till I could drive back onto the road.
Then I drove it home. I still think my insurance company thinks I was drinking News Year eve but that was not the case.

Great story, love it when Dad screws up. How was the hunting?

Not very good, cut our day short. Had to stop twice for air for a tire as in the bead on one tire was leaking with grass stuck in it. :(
Had to have one fender, one door skin and box half replaced, expensive day hunting.

1100 Remington Man":19chsl5l said:
Not very good, cut our day short. Had to stop twice for air for a tire as in the bead on one tire was leaking with grass stuck in it. :(
Had to have one fender, one door skin and box half replaced, expensive day hunting.
Worst day I ever had was elk hunting. Drove to the end of the road, dropped into the canyon. Got back to the truck just after dark. As I got close I could see some one had a fire going, discovered it was what was left of my truck.
That was an expensive trip.

Back