Alaska Average 1st Shot Distance

A

Anonymous

On another forum I frequent (one of only two aside from the Nosler forum)....a member has taken polls each of the last five years for the first shot at an unwounded big game animal. Species and distance- that's it.

This year's average across over 200 animals was 166 yards. The average closest shot was bison, and the average longest was elk- but the limited sample sizes are probably at play. The most represented species are deer and caribou due to higher bag limits.

There were quite a few entries in the 400-500 yard range and a surprising number in the under 100 category.

For five years, the overall average has never been under 150 and never over 185...so 166 sounds right in the ballpark.

Something to think about as more companies promote longer range rigs in both rifles, ammunition and optics.

That would substantiate my own observations from many years of hunting. I would say that most moose have been shot at less than 125 yards (longest shot was ~250 yards), most deer at less than 200 yards (longest shot was~325 yards) and most elk at less than 100 yards (longest shot was ~150 yards). Most of the black bear I've shot were between 50 and 100 yards. I'm definitely not a long range shooter.

hodgeman":i4jxnfv0 said:
For five years, the overall average has never been under 150 and never over 185...so 166 sounds right in the ballpark.

Something to think about as more companies promote longer range rigs in both rifles, ammunition and optics.

AND Hunters

all of my shots are under 200 yards, even on sheep and goats, with goat being the hardest of the two to get close to and kill for that matter.

But everything, caribou, moose, deer, elk, wolf, bear, bison, muskox, walrus, as well as sheep and goats can all be hunted under 200 yards, at least here in the far north and apparently in Alaska

That's been my belief for quite some time. Average animal shot anywhere in North America is under 200 yds. Now obviously you have other examples like people that are dedicated antelope hunters, or specifically and intentionally carry a long range set up, and intentionally hunt game of all types in ways that will test both their skill as well as the rifles accuracy, and routinely make shots that are several multiples that distance. But the average hunter that grabs the sporter rifle of his or her preference and goes out to hunt deer, bear, or elk, will most likely fill his or her tag with a shot that doesn't require long range expertise. If you hunt in a fully wooded environment you will likely kill the vast majority of animals under 100 yds. Even if you can see farther than that it's just the way it usually works out.

I must admit, the poll also mirrors my own experience. I probably average a little further than that as a function of the open mountain terrain, but it wouldn't be a whole lot more than that. I get the highest number of opportunities at 200-300 yards, quite a few under 200. I did have a 65 yard shot this year on a caribou.

Definitely more under a 100 than over 300 for sure.

One thing I found interesting was the data for sheep and goats (which have a reputation as long range critters) was under 200 yards average for both.

Very interesting conclusions to be drawn for sure.

I’m going to keep my eyes on this as I’m growing more curiouser and curiouser.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankful Otter":24uj66ym said:
AND Hunters

all of my shots are under 200 yards, even on sheep and goats, with goat being the hardest of the two to get close to and kill for that matter.

But everything, caribou, moose, deer, elk, wolf, bear, bison, muskox, walrus, as well as sheep and goats can all be hunted under 200 yards, at least here in the far north and apparently in Alaska

Most of my shots have been under 100 yards to be honest even on goats and sheep, only a handful of shots from 200 - 270 yards with all species combined. The terrain here doesn't just doesn't usually allow for a lot of long range stuff, I do practice to 400 yards on a regular basis in the summer just in case though.

here in the east ones shots are usually under 100 yards. I was always told hunting Elk in the west would require a long range rig but we have hunted Elk in Montana every year for several years now and I think are longest shot was 225 yards.

I love how Gerry speaks about goat and sheep like it is no big deal . I would love to hunt either and /or both!!!!

hunternyny":gy1djt17 said:
I love how Gerry speaks about goat and sheep like it is no big deal . I would love to hunt either and /or both!!!!

Time to move, before you're too old to move. Those goats are awaitin'! They're just walking around, waiting to be shot. (y)

Excellent point Dr Mike and I have looked at pictures of the area Gerry hunts in and that alone is an incentive too move. It is beautiful

Dr Mike, another one that makes me smile when I read it, is Walrus---who in the heck hunts Walrus

of course it is possible the several here do since the forum is well represented by Canadians and Alaskans

Sorry Hodgeman, a little off track here, let us return to the title of the thread

DrMike":3rslj7uc said:
hunternyny":3rslj7uc said:

Time to move, before you're too old to move. Those goats are awaitin'! They're just walking around, waiting to be shot. (y)

Yep, come on up, we need more good people up here :wink:

My average shooting distance is 113 yards.
Longest shot on moose is 220 yards, deer at 354 (both whitetail and a wounded mulie), elk at 475, grizzly bear at 8 yards, black bear at 120 yards, caribou at 150 yards, mountain sheep at 300 yards and mountain goat at 115 yards, antelope 140 yards, buffalo 120 yards, wolf 100 yards.
48% of animals harvested at under 100 yards, 38% between 100-199 yards, 11% between 200-299 yards, 3% between 300-399 yards and 1 animal at 400+ yards.

Of my mountain goats, they were harvested at 15 yards, 115 yards and 30 yards. Although the terrain may be challenging, I have been within 40 yards of mountain goats on more than a dozen occasions and not harvested one due to being nannies, nannies with kids or young billies. Lots of fun!

Blkram":39y4ecgm said:
Longest shot on moose is 220 yards, deer at 354 (both whitetail and a wounded mulie), elk at 475, grizzly bear at 8 yards, black bear at 120 yards, caribou at 150 yards, mountain sheep at 300 yards and mountain goat at 115 yards, antelope 140 yards, buffalo 120 yards, wolf 100 yards.
48% of animals harvested at under 100 yards, 38% between 100-199 yards, 11% between 200-299 yards, 3% between 300-399 yards and 1 animal at 400+ yards.

Of my mountain goats, they were harvested at 15 yards, 115 yards and 30 yards. Although the terrain may be challenging, I have been within 40 yards of mountain goats on more than a dozen occasions and not harvested one due to being nannies, nannies with kids or young billies. Lots of fun!

Gil, this is an impressive and interesting post. you have harvested animals at a much longer distance than I and yet 97% have been under 300.

This coupled with everyone else's post and Hodgemans post, which covered a group of hunters over 5 years, suddenly I dont feel as I have been on the wrong side of things all these years, as I have never shot an animal over 300 yards or if I did I dont remember it.

I have also noticed this long range hunting thing is more American than European. I also wonder if time afield enters into it, as I know we went hunting several times a year and now it seems with the exception of deer most only have the time and possibly the tags and money for one hunt away from home a year and I wonder if when they get there they are willing to shoot at longer distances than we were, since we knew we would be hunting again soon.

I also wonder if some of the long range hunting isn't done for bravado reasons. I shot one at 400--I shot one at 500--I shot one at 600 and so on.

Also, people like Gerry, Hodgeman, Dr Mike, Gil, Cheyenne and others who are in wildlife rich areas and might have the attitude "if I dont find something (animal, hunting situation, etc ) that I like I can always go back out tomorrow"

I have also noticed none of our 500 yards plus hunters have posted, which I was hoping to see dissenting opinions and why

Europe":buu6ae1l said:
Blkram":buu6ae1l said:

Gil, this is an impressive and interesting post. you have harvested animals at a much longer distance than I and yet 97% have been under 300.

This coupled with everyone else's post and Hodgemans post, which covered a group of hunters over 5 years, suddenly I dont feel as I have been on the wrong side of things all these years, as I have never shot an animal over 300 yards or if I did I dont remember it.

I have also noticed this long range hunting thing is more American than European. I also wonder if time afield enters into it, as I know we went hunting several times a year and now it seems with the exception of deer most only have the time and possibly the tags and money for one hunt away from home a year and I wonder if when they get there they are willing to shoot at longer distances than we were, since we knew we would be hunting again soon.

I also wonder if some of the long range hunting isn't done for bravado reasons. I shot one at 400--I shot one at 500--I shot one at 600 and so on.

Also, people like Gerry, Hodgeman, Dr Mike, Gil, Cheyenne and others who are in wildlife rich areas and might have the attitude "if I dont find something (animal, hunting situation, etc ) that I like I can always go back out tomorrow"

I have also noticed none of our 500 yards plus hunters have posted, which I was hoping to see dissenting opinions and why

Great post April. I practice and feel completely proficient out to 600 with my main battle rifles. I spend a lot of my time getting tags, driving to and from places like Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, etc. seasons are usually pretty short so I want to be prepared for any shot I feel I can ethically take.

My longest Elk was a bit over 400 yards and my shortest Elk was about 75 yards. If I’m not ready to take an Elk at muzzle scorch range or out at My limits I feel like I’m not prepared. Honestly I’d rather take an Elk or buck at 75 yards than a shot at 500, but on public land, with pressured animals it isn’t realistic. I don’t go hunting just to watch Elk, I go to kill them. I enjoy hunting and being in their living room, but at the end of the day I want venison for my family and passing up shots that I could’ve prepared for doesn’t feel right. We could wax eloquently about the perfect stalk and slipping into bow range on an unsuspecting animal but my experience tells me to observe and act when I feel I have the shot. It can and will go away quickly. A wolf, coyote or another hunter could bump animals out of chance mighty quick.

The longest shot I've ever taken was on an Elk at 326 yards. All of the other Elk taken were at 120 yards or less. Coming from the Northeast my longest shot on a deer is 80 yards. I've taken over 70 deer and the vast majority are 30 yards or less. (Tree stands work well).

Scotty, excellent post and exactly what I was wondering about. You make several very good points.

Most of the Elk we hunted were in Arizona and we did not find them to be the toughest animal to hunt. In North America we found the coues and cougar to be the most challenging --but--several have now mentioned their long range shots being at Elk.

Anyway thanks again Scotty, excellent points

I'm always preparing for longer shots and have taken most of mine at 120 or under with one buck at 15 yards. And I laugh to myself about how many 300 to 400 yard shots I passed up on considering that I practice for that. Deer get awfully shaky and small at 400 yards!

Surprisingly as I get older many of my shots are falling around 60 yards or less. That is one of the reasons I started rethinking bullets at point blank range. It only takes one bullet failure on a real wall hanger to convince you to go bonded. Or at least that worked for me. :>)

Europe":378u0twd said:
Scotty, excellent post and exactly what I was wondering about. You make several very good points.

Most of the Elk we hunted were in Arizona and we did not find them to be the toughest animal to hunt. In North America we found the coues and cougar to be the most challenging --but--several have now mentioned their long range shots being at Elk.

Anyway thanks again Scotty, excellent points

April,

When younger I always found cougar to be relatively easy to hunt.............. 8)

Charles

and in the context to which you refer, we still are! However "younger" has changed for me, now anyone under 60 is young (-;

Back