Dealing with predatory animals

Thanks Guy kind of wish I had seen that before I went hunting this year for Elk and encountered the Wolf. Though I did nothing wrong I was just unfamiliar with coming into contact with one.

Excellent advice, Guy. Hmmmm. Bear Spray is 92% effective. It's that other 8% that has me worried. I've carried bear spray for many years while fishing. I've never had to use it, but I thought it would be required on a few occasions.

I'm a big proponent of bear spray. Three successful applications. I use to fire warning shots, while it worked a few times, generally it's a waste of ammo. The nearer you are to town the better it works however.
The current administration at Katmai National Park will charge you with unlawful discharge of a fire arm and harassing wildlife if you fire a warning shot. If you throw rocks at a bear they will charge you with harassing wildlife. If you spray a bear you are required to report it, not sure I would. I'm not kidding about the above. Last spring at the parks/guide meeting it was discussed, somewhat entertaining.
Just like police work every bear encounter is different. I think averting your gaze is wrong. I do everything I can to let the bear know he can fish through but I stay pretty focused on the bear. I otherwise agree with the information.
My favorite training guideline is: the body can't go where the brain has never been. If you're heading into bear country do some reading, just might keep you from becoming bear poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your surrounded by a hungry pack of wolves you may have reacted to late. I have never experienced a loan wolf brave enough to attack when challenged

Remember the wind when you grab that bottle of pepper spray, it may do you little good or even hurt you

We have more success with noise makers and shotguns but do carry pepper spray. Polar Bears actually are either curious or hungry and if hungry, unlike the Grizzly, they see you as dinner, and since they stay further from you while making the final decision pepper spray does you little good , so hand held marine flares , even ariel flares work better against them as a deterrent . They would also work with the grizzly but then you could have a possible forest fire and thats no good.

Cheyenne, it's those "loan wolves" that worry me. Always have. :? I reckon it is the predatory lending that ultimately gets you. :shock:

Okay, okay. I'm only teasing. I do admit that when I saw the title of this thread, and knowing Guy's work history, I thought sure he would be talking about some of the predatory animals that frequent society. Lions, bears and wolves, I can handle. People, not so much.

DrMike":3n3o2l3k said:
Cheyenne, it's those "loan wolves" that worry me. Always have. :? I reckon it is the predatory lending that ultimately gets you. :shock:

Okay, okay. I'm only teasing. I do admit that when I saw the title of this thread, and knowing Guy's work history, I thought sure he would be talking about some of the predatory animals that frequent society. Lions, bears and wolves, I can handle. People, not so much.

Dr Mike, and what makes my spelling even worse, as you know I am currently working on my masters degree. Thank god that degree is not in English lol

And as you know I agree with your second point 1000%

Ah, Cheyenne, and me a speech Nazi. I did teach English for a year. It was the worst decade of my life. Hey, good luck on your Masters. The more education, the better. I do understand the constant pressure and distractions. FWIW, my brother has a Masters in English, and I still correct his writing.

My hats off to you that believe in the pepper spray, and have used such effectively. As we discussed in a previous post, if the bear is close enough for you to spray and it does not deter the bear you are probably in for a rough time. There is probably no second chance. I have lived a long time and enjoyed my time here and will not depend upon a can of repellent, to extend that enjoyment. I am not always packing a large caliber weapon, but I am always carrying something. And its not pepper spray. I fill out the forms and pay the fines, if necessary and be happy to do it.

I think pepper spray has a place- I'm not quite willing to extend it the reliability it's touted to have. But it does work to deter nuisance bears very well.

Once a bear has decided to truly eat you, I'm not so sure that spray is going to stop it. We had a case recently up here where a black bear carried out a predatory attack on two field geologists despite getting a good snoot full at least once, most likely twice. Of course, a predatory attack is relatively rare- more common are curious bears and juveniles that you can run off with some spray and no blood shed, an altogether better plan.

I did have a solo wolf come in on me three years ago obviously stalking me. Since wolf season was open- he got popped with the .300. That was very unusual behavior for a solo wolf and predatory attacks on humans are ultra rare- in fact, the behavior was so unusual I sent a sample off for a rabies test.

Of all the predatory animals I've encountered- wolverine was easily the scariest, followed by the wolf. All of my bear encounters have been pretty tame...and I hope to keep them that way.

I've happily coexisted with the big coastal brown bears, sharing an Alaskan salmon run with them.

I've coexisted with black bears as we were living (temporarily for me) in the same area. Mutual respect? Dunno. Whatever, I didn't have to shoot them, and they didn't try to eat me. It worked, and I was actually pleased to see them. Pretty cool critters. I've also hunted them, but that was different.

Mountain lions? I've only seen a few of them in the wild. A very few. In a lifetime of living as "outside" as I can manage. I don't know how to deal with an aggressive mountain lion. The few I've seen, left quickly when they noticed me.

Wolves? Very little experience. They're new to our area. I've been near them a few times, and I have much to learn about them.

Guy

Bill I do believe in being well balanced, in the photo you'll see the spray in my weak hand the 454 in the other.
My encounters have been pushy, nuisance bears. I do believe a firearm would be more effective in a predatory situation. In all three of my experiences spraying bears I would have killed them had it not worked. IMG_2167.JPG

Isn't it interesting, how comfortable we get around even the big bears? If they're well-behaved?

And yes, spray in one hand, big ol' revolver in the other makes perfect sense to me!

Guy

Well sorta, I know the guest are always thrilled following a close encounter, but I really don't feel too bad spending a a day on some remote creek without seeing a bear up close.

Guy, Your comments on Mountain Lions brought back a few memories when I came into contact with a "Florida" mountain Lion or Florida panther as we call them down here. I was riding my ATV at the edge of our town in a 500 acre area that was owned by a friend. I was on a short straight away when movement to my left about 40 yards away caught my attention. It turned out to be a Panther as it walked out onto the trail right in front of me. I stopped, It watched me for about ten seconds and then casually walked across into the scrub. I saw what I believe was the same panther on three different occasions and it never made any threatening moves and looked at me with curiosity. I think it might have been used to seeing people. Sadly, the area where I used to see this cat is now all houses but luckily, a short distance away is a 30,000 acre preserve which is where, I'm sure, the cat is now residing.

You were blessed. Few people have actually seen a lion/panther. I'm always amazed that, for all the spoor found during hunts, how seldom the big cats are actually seen. I've come upon reasonably fresh kills without actually seeing the cat. They are graceful when one does see them. Still, I don't particular want to see one stalking me.

SC, neat picture with the bear. Armed and ready beats unaware every time.

DrMike":2rirfydw said:
You were blessed. Few people have actually seen a lion/panther. I'm always amazed that, for all the spoor found during hunts, how seldom the big cats are actually seen. I've come upon reasonably fresh kills without actually seeing the cat. They are graceful when one does see them. Still, I don't particular want to see one stalking me.

SC, neat picture with the bear. Armed and ready beats unaware every time.
IMG_2162.JPG
He had been in close, in the willows for a few minutes. We were up wind, he took another step or two towards me, I gave him a good dose. IMG_1379.JPG
These two are not a big threat, on our side as we came around the corner, immediately moved to the other side, but didn't want to give up the fishing hole, I like relaxed bears, still completely unpredictable. IMG_1360.JPG
Stumbled on this girl and her cub sleeping in the willows. This was a bear that as quickly and calmly as possible we gained some distance. She was unhappy, popping her jaws. Initial contact maybe 20 or 30 yards.IMG_1364.JPG
Looking back, we had been at the point of that gravel bar. As we moved off she came over, fished around and went back to her cub. Medium spooky.IMG_0300.JPG
This guy came from around the corner, absolutely to reaction time, very close. Thankfully caught a fish on his next jump. Client actually had her camera in her hand to take a picture of hubby. Dang near needed new waders.

very cool Salmonchaser. As someone else here on the forum has previously said. you have been there and done that!

As I read this thread this morning I could not help but wonder if Jamila (or Aleena ) have ever tried pepper spray on lions, leopards, hippos, rhino, buffalo and elephant LOL

We always had pepper spray with us when fishing and hunting in Grizzly country

Sometimes I wonder how much energy the bear expends gathering fish, rodents, etc. it must work, the Bears get big!

Back