“Hydrostatic Shock” or “Temporary Wound Cavity”

Songdog

Handloader
Apr 6, 2009
I’ve been reading about things like “Hydrostatic Shock” since the early 80’s, when I was old enough to check out Field & Stream magazines from our Elementary School Library.

More recently.... It seems to be referred to as “Temporay Wound Cavity/Channel”.... which seems pretty appropriate too.

Well..... I’m not a physicist... or a ballistician... or even the guy that stirs that weird opaque Jell-O they shoot bullets into. But..... whatever you wanna call it.... I can show you what it looks like!

This is a still frame off a video we shot a few years ago. 123 Amax vs. Coyote... the “exit” wound was only about racquet ball size....

KumNkoI.jpg

I remembered shooting a bull nilgai straight into the chest head on with a 250 grain Partition out of a .338 Lapua Mag at roughly 150 yards, I could see dust fly off that bull when that train hit him, but nothing like the above picture.

Looks like a nice shock wave. Nice picture.

Sorry for being off topic.

I know something happens when critters are hard-hit with a bullet.

Call it what you will.

I think my favorite is now "Hydrodynamicmultispeciesintergalacticstarburstdeath"

Ya. I should write an article...

Guy

That's one impressive photo! What was the velocity of the bullet? What was the distance to the target?
E

Shot was only about 70 yards....Muzzle Velocity only about 3000 fps.

I’ve seen this happen several times, but never caught it on video... it happens so fast.

That is a great picture, and really sums up the hydrostatic/ wound cavity term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JOsh for a 243 what is your favorite bullet for yodle dogs

Nice picture!
Lately the coyotes I've shot have been with the 30-06 using 165gr BTs during deer hunting. Most at close range with the coyotes ending up blown apart. I had shot one coming straight to me @ around 50yds. that made a loud pop. He was completely emptied. "Nothing left inside."
Billy

That one was out of a .260...

For .243, I like 55 NBTs at 3850-4000 or the 87 Vmax.

What a great picture. My first couple of years wintering here in Az, I used my ,308 tactical with the 168 gr. Nosler CC., while insanely accurate in this rifle, the bullets were not satisfactory for coyotes, I had several run off with visible wounds on both sides. This year I am shooting 150 gr, FB Speer PSP's. The farthest any has made it, has been about 60 yards. And was easily found. There are not many here, but I am managing to average one on every outing. Its good exercise, and a great excuse to get away from town while its still cool.

Really neat picture. Interesting. Thanks SD.

Bill, you get bored we have plenty of them in Ohio you can come zap.