WY Elk!!

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
For the first time ever, I have an elk tag in my pocket. My brother in law and myself will be heading out in October to hunt. Time to get in shape and shoot!!!

I'd say you are excited. Wow! Double post! (y) I'm with you on this, however. Again, congratulations.

OUTSTANDING! :grin:

From what I've seen here on the forum, you shoot just fine. Which rifle are you taking?

Ya, getting in shape is a good idea. Those elk-critters get kinda heavy.

Do-it-yourself hunt?

Congrats on the successful tag draw. I'll be in Wyoming, for mule deer & antelope in early October, in the Northeast corner of the state. You?

Guy

Congrats on your double post. Must mean you guys are going to double down on elk as well! Guided or not and where will you be hunting? Best of luck!

Well done, be warned. Elk hunting is the most addictive thing you have ever done. Just look at what's happened to Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about the double post. I am looking at 2 areas right now. Western boarder and south central boarder. It will be a DIY for 5-7 days. I'm bringing my 338wm and 7mmRM. Brother in law will have his 270wsm. I hope we can find some elk to chase.

Kinda intimidating for a first timer looking at all that BLM and NF land. Hard to pick a spot and zone in on it without acctually seeing it. I do plan to drive out in August to scout.

teacher, the closer you get to Yellowstone the more and bigger bears. There are some specific recommendations in being bear safe, I believe on the game and fish website . In addition non-residents cannot hunt in wilderness areas without a guide and do not forget to buy your conservation stamp. Wyoming has some of the most spectacular scenery and best elk hunting in the west.

Wyoming has always treated me well. Never came home empty-handed. Bull elk back in 2000, and a fair number of mule deer since then, as well as a few pronghorn.

Figure how you're going to get your elk out. Quartered or boned out and on a pack frame is a pretty common solution.

Western Wyoming is seriously mountainous and yes, the grizzlies can be a problem.

Guy

wisconsinteacher":3h75egw1 said:
Sorry about the double post. I am looking at 2 areas right now. Western boarder and south central boarder. It will be a DIY for 5-7 days.
You have a General area tag then?

Yep we have general tags. As of now, we plan on packing the meat/horns out on pack frames. We wil keep an eye out for big bears. I have hiked in bear country before so that helps the nerves.

Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Rule #1: Find a map showing the wolf areas in WY. Stay away from those.

Rule #2: See Rule #1.

I believe that a General Tag allows you to hunt either sex in some units, and expands the length of the seasons. They are not all the same so check the regs carefully when they come out. In addition Wyoming has cut opportunities because of the 15/16 winter, and its going to take a few years for the herds to recover. The area west of side of the state was the hardest hit.

Congratulations on obtaining that Elk tag :wink:. I cannot waiting for the hunt lots of photos and stories is always a good thing :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

We drew general tags as well. Will be in a wilderness area outside of Cody. Can't wait. First time for me as well. Good luck to you.

Now i'm trying to get in shape

TDMVA":2p2bqmhh said:
We drew general tags as well. Will be in a wilderness area outside of Cody. Can't wait. First time for me as well. Good luck to you.

Best of luck to you! In a wilderness area you'll have a guide?

Ya, being in good condition helps on an elk hunt, for sure!

Guy

Guy Miner":lo8nm04b said:
TDMVA":lo8nm04b said:

Best of luck to you! In a wilderness area you'll have a guide?

Ya, being in good condition helps on an elk hunt, for sure!

Guy

Yessir. We are required to have a guide in the wilderness area. We have a group of 4 heading in to hunt. I can't tell you how pumped I am to do this. Going out the 2nd week of October.

The only issue I'm finding is it's really hard to get my butt to work out consistently. I will hit the treadmill and do crunches, planks, push ups, etc. for 3 days, then off for 4, then back at it. After not working out for years it's hard to get started. I've recently printed a pic of the aerial of the mountains we will be in to remind myself to get in shape. Hope that will work! I'm fighting a lifetime of chronic procrastination. hahha

Back