New hunting camp

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Well my cousin and I just purchased 4 acres about 1 1/2 hrs from us down in lower Washington county, that is blueberry country; and has miles and miles of open country or "blueberry barrens"
There is 10x more Whitetails there; than where our lodge is. So we have decided we need a " satilite camp" :shock:
So that, and the fact the back boundary is a nice Trout Stream; tiped is over! So here is the plan: keep it small , probably 16x20, bunks, propane lights and stove, hand pump in sink, outhouse basic
No frills little "cabin in the pines" this is what we are thinking?IMG_2321.PNG

Best of luck with the new property.. sounds like it will have all the attributes of a beautiful place to spend time pursuing a variety of activities or just getting away from a crazy world.

That sounds like a great idea.
Been looking to relocate and was wondering what property prices are like in Maine. The wife loves Steven King and that may be an incentive to get her to move up to the frozen NE. :)>)

Roger today wouldn't be a good day for her! We have 15" of new snow and another 6/8" coming today! Looking pretty "wintery" out the window here today, :| 10,000 folks out power as well from
High winds :? I got my wood furnace going cause I don't want to listen to a generator run just to run my oil furnace :x
If I told you how cheap we got the land you would drop your remote and spill coffee all over your overstuffed recliner :mrgreen:

A cabin like that is really cool. I like the idea! I can smell the wood stove already 8)

Don

A cabin in the pines? Now, that is cool. Getting it for a song? Better, still. Congratulations, E.

Very darned cool! Looks like a place to be in Oct/November!

Looks like P64 Model 70 country to me :mrgreen:

I built something similar in Northern MN. 12x16 with a 4' screen porch/boot room addition, 2x6 stick framed W/R19 and foamed joints, steel roof 6/12 pitch, stained T111 siding. Heat is a small Jotul wood stove, F602B. Sips wood and darn near burns us out of the place, and I left the roof uninsulated.

Water is external, hand pump on high water table. Mineral content is so high, it's pretty much just good for wash water. We're using battery LEDs and candles/lamps for lighting. With the efficiency of modern LEDs, a few AA batteries go a long ways vs. plumbing for gas lights or running an annoying generator all the time. Genny only comes out for football games! We cook on a portable coleman propane stove or on the cooking plate on the Jotul.

If I were to do it over again, I would increase the roof pitch to 12/12 to increase loft space and add a sleeping loft. 12' width is good to go with, longest rafter span you can do without engineered trusses. We built vaulted, simple 2x4 black spruce rafters scissor trussed every other tied to top plate with hurricane clips. She's a brick S house and handles snow load well.

Built in a single full sized bed frame into a corner parallel to the orientation of the wood stove. Also a folding Futon couch/bed. Bunks would be easy if we had need for more sleeping quarters. A simple curtain hung from the rafters at the foot of the bed provides a privacy screen for the ladies. Set up like home. If we had a working sauna (hopefully this year's project) we could pretty much live there indefinitely. Total cost including hardwood flooring, stove, knotty pine paneling and fancy stone tile under the stove was around 7-8K.

Very nice you and Polaris! What an awesome place to go any time of year just to escape if nothing else!

David

Are you planning on building with logs? I looked into that, had the perfect raw material onsite, then realized just how much darn work it is peeling pine logs. That made my decision to stick frame easy!

Nope just stick frame it with all Hemlock, rough sawn its dirt cheap here. Can buy all the studs&rafters, floor joyce
And nice wide 5\4 boards to board it all in for less than a grand. Shingles and drip edge over tarpaper less than $500, then cedar 1/2 round over the sides and gable ends
So it looks like a "log cabin".......... Only thing different is more windows; So will puting in some like this! Up in both gable ends! IMG_2324.JPG Should look very similar to this one with natural
( Berh Rawhide) Finnish on siding trimed in Forest Green! I have an old apartment sized cook stove
With an oven for pan of biscuits to slide in there already! Plus an old hand pump that came out of my Grandfathers home still in the old cast iron sink! I even have the old " Home Comfort" wood range they raised our whole family on! Gosh I was raised in same crib as my Dad had and my son
was too, along with a dozen cousins!!!! We don't throw anything away around here. I still have granddads " Bridgeport Boy Scout " hatchet, his 90 year old pack basket, his solid gold pocket watch
His mother gave him when he graduated from high school. His WW1 Corp of Engineers Compass (Waltham)he had in Germany, and of course his Marbles stacked leather handle knife, IMG_2384.JPGand Marbles Safety Axe......So we come from a looong line of woodsmen.

Wish I had the access to roughsawn lumber like that. Would have been a lot cheaper getting my shack up. Do look into steel roofing rather than asphalt. I hear it snows some there, and the steel is really nice. Slicks right off. The pricing has gotten pretty good on steel, only slightly more than asphalt shingles and lots less labor to put up.

Earle, was at a customer's house once that had been sided with rough cut varying width hemlock. Overlapped like German siding. Might of even been live edge on the bottom edges I can't remember for sure.

Anyways it looked rustic and good to me. The owner liked it, along with the cheap cost he claimed he never had to treat it. Said hemlock is a natural insecticide. The vast majority of normal wood insects do not find it agreeable. I've no proof of that but he hadn't treated it and it looked in good shape.

35 Whelen":3bbc8yg5 said:
Roger today wouldn't be a good day for her! We have 15" of new snow and another 6/8" coming today! Looking pretty "wintery" out the window here today, :| 10,000 folks out power as well from
High winds :? I got my wood furnace going cause I don't want to listen to a generator run just to run my oil furnace :x
If I told you how cheap we got the land you would drop your remote and spill coffee all over your overstuffed recliner :mrgreen:
HaHaHaHa your right about her not liking the weather since she has spring marked on the calendar and can't wait for warmer weather so she can work in the garden. You can take the girl off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the girl. :)>)

truck driver":nyhsdzyl said:
35 Whelen":nyhsdzyl said:
HaHaHaHa your right about her not liking the weather since she has spring marked on the calendar and can't wait for warmer weather so she can work in the garden. You can take the girl off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the girl. :)>)

I think we're both curious how cheap you got the land. I'm going to retire someday, and I saw that one post of yours with those monster deer!

Back