Elk poacher gets nearly 7 years

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
This is about 40 miles from my house. I finally saw one about a year ago across a large pasture, it was skirting the tree line at the far edge. For reasons like below I have only told a few well trusted friends about the sighting..I probably won't live long enough to see a hunt-able sized population here in SW Virginia and Southern WV, but I'd sure like to spot them with growing frequency.

https://blog.wildlife.virginia.gov/...o-almost-7-years-in-jail-for-wildlife-crimes/

It sounds as if he got off somewhat easy. There were more animals involved than I imagined from the headline. He appears to have killed for the thrill of killing, in which case there is an evident danger to society. Glad they caught this poacher.

I love to hear about these cases. A significant amount of poaching occurs in the North West. When prosecuted, the usual penalty does not appear to be much of a deterrent. Glad to see this.
Many times I read a post written by someone from east of the Rockies.
Whether I'm blessed or lucky, I truly have learned to appreciate being able to see elk only minutes from my house.
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG
I hope you get the chance to hunt them in Virginia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad to read that the poacher received a sentence that may deter him and others from continuing this type of nonsense.
Thank you for posting!

Blessings,
Dan

That's nice to see. Folks like that hurt populations more than most of us will ever realize and they take opportunities away from other folks.

This area is where Ky, VA, WV, and TN all sort of come together and nestled in the Appalachian mountains and is largely rural. The elk are making an effort (with the help of government and civilian groups) to establish a population, ..The sightings are becoming more and common, so these efforts are paying off. If people will just let them be and do what Elks do, I think we could have a chance to see them with some regularity..In this area, it wasn't too long ago black bears were a pretty uncommon sight outside of the well known pockets of land where they were common. Now they are thriving.

Guy Miner can possibly give more details on this. We have a friend who lives close to Seattle and he told me back in December that they busted a poaching ring in Washington that had used dogs to kill 100 black bears, as well as deer, elk, bobcats, and cougars. They left them to rot where they killed them

hunternyny":34wdkc4t said:
Guy Miner can possibly give more details on this. We have a friend who lives close to Seattle and he told me back in December that they busted a poaching ring in Washington that had used dogs to kill 100 black bears, as well as deer, elk, bobcats, and cougars. They left them to rot where they killed them

Ya, I don't know a lot about that case.

7 years is an incredibly long sentence, from my experience as a cop. I saw child rapists get out after three or four years.

After that, I'm happy with seven years for a poacher. Ecstatic actually.

Guy

Guy Miner":3il23dzg said:
hunternyny":3il23dzg said:

Ya, I don't know a lot about that case.

7 years is an incredibly long sentence, from my experience as a cop. I saw child rapists get out after three or four years.

After that, I'm happy with seven years for a poacher. Ecstatic actually.

Guy
From my experience as a truck driver I can tell you that law enforcement in that part of VA doesn't play games with you and you will pay for what you do even if it is unintentional.

Back