Excellent article, hunting & conservation

That's a good article guy.
I, myself, have noticed in work circles, that there aren't as many hunters out there as there used to be.
The younger generation looks for something else besides going out into mother nature, and experiencing something different.
I'm lucky to have had a dad that took me out pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, and deer hunting in rural Iowa as a kid.
I will do the same for my son. Hopefully he will get the bug like I did!
We do need more out there to keep traditions alive.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

If we take the article seriously (and we should), each of us can do something positive by taking a young hunter into the field on our next trip. Both boys and girls should be introduced. The future of the sport may well depend on what we do as hunters and shooters.

I have said my Generation will most likely be last to hunt. I’m 56 and here in Iowa if I ask a Farmer to Pheasant’s hunt if he is older than me it’s about 90% of the time they say yes if there under 50 it’s 90% say no.
Yes times are changing and I say not for the better, we have seen kids that all they want to do is play with there thumbs.
We have Wildlife Biologist who grew up as Hippie’s and are tree huggers and don’t manage Wildlife correctly, all you have to do is look at the management of Predators.
I have seen huge declines in Pheasant hunters & Waterfowlers in Iowa. You would think there would more game but you would be wrong.
We are losing Habitat at a rapid pace, and here in Iowa if John Deere came out with a planter that would work on Concrete & Asphalt Iowa Farmers would be standing in line to buy it.
Yes that’s a Joke but not to far off the mark. I hope to move further West when I retire as to live my life in the Outdoors as much as I can and I do not see a future for hunting in Iowa.
So yes the numbers of hunters will continue to decline.

I noticed this when my kids were young, that is their friends where not into hunting. As a matter of fact most of them had a negative opinion regarding that my two boys hunted. They even had a name for it...."redneck sport"

I guess I should not have been surprised but, it did hammer the fact that a culture is being lost. Remembering when I was young many boys looked forward to hunting with their dad and grandparents. Half of the kids I knew growing up hunted and those that didn't wanted too!

Of course those kids also thought that Obama was the best thing since sliced bread. Kind of brought to light the degree of stupidity those kid's parents had.

Hopefully there will always be a group of hunters that will pass it on to others.

We have also noticed the same thing Charles and in some cases it is extreme or perhaps hysterical would be a better word.

When we have ask if someones boy or girl would like to go camping with us, we have heard parents say "oh my god, no, you hunt, you let your children hunt" My wife has had a worse time than I actually, as she has lost friends when they find out she hunts and they stop letting their children visit our home or associate with our children. Charles, you might remember when we joined the CSA in an effort to be around like minded families. It might even be worse here in NY than it is in Texas, but either way it is not a good trend

Back