Most lethal shootgun loads for coyottes ?

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
I have a Rem 3"/ 1100 SP w/ interchangeable chokes. What Loads have worked best for you ? What choke restriction as well....thanks

I've had a lot of luck with Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" in T... full choke, lethal for much further than you'd think.

Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote is awesome in 12 ga 3". I use a .670" turkey choke and have made 50 yard DRT kills on coyotes.

JD338

hodgeman":1zfk3g26 said:
I've had a lot of luck with Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" in T... full choke, lethal for much further than you'd think.
I know. I shoot hevi 6's for turkey. just unreal!
whats the longest yote kill w/ hevi-T's ?

I use Kent Faststeel 3" BB as that's what I usually have on hand for the barn gun. All purpose "vurmint" load for coyotes, raccoons, possums, woodchucks and other such vermin. Fired through a fixed modified choke. Doesn't DRT them, but does kill quickly with a tight pattern. Have dumped them to 60 yards. Have also used #4 buffered buck through "Trap 27" choke and also a 2 3/4" handload of buffered B Nickle plated lead through the trap or IC choke, depending on the cover I hunted when I hunted them more seriously a few winters ago. Very high speed, 1 1/8 oz charge around 1600fps specialty load with lots of bells and whistles in the wad column over Hodgedon Longshot from one of BPIs manuals. Patterned over 80% at 50 yards with the tight choke, and surprisingly dense through the IC and knocked them flat.

I'm another fan of the Hevi Shot with a Carlson coyote tube. Winchester and Hornady make coyote specific loads too. Even with the good shells and tubes when I patterned my shotgun 40yds was as far as I'd feel comfortable shooting a coyote. I have a 20" Rem-Choke barrel with rifle sights I adjusted to get the pattern centered. I tried the Kent Faststeel too after talking to a friend through my mid-range Carlsons waterfowl tube and didn't gain any distance in my gun. Maybe it's just my barrel.

Good to know guys. I've passed on 50-60 yard shots at coyotes when I was upland game hunting because I had #6 steel shot in my 12 gauge and was pretty sure I'd just wound the coyote. Didn't want that outcome, I like to kill things rather than have 'em run off hurt.

I have started carrying some slugs and buckshot with me just in case. A buddy switched loads in his over-under a few years ago while chukar hunting... And came home with a big ol' mountain lion! :) He tracked it in the snow and shot it with his bird gun.

Guy

Back