A little adventure today.

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Headed up into the Wenaha today, just to see how far we could get. Found these boys with a spring bear tag, off the road.IMG_2176.JPG
I couldn't pull them out, but another Dodge showed up, he couldn't pull them either.IMG_2178.JPG
We hooked the dodges together then I hooked onto the grey one, lots of spinning tires but he finally came out.
Found this group of bachelor bulls on the way downIMG_2175.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great adventure. Good to see the bulls wintered well. I'm sure those fellows were glad to see you. I've pulled a few out of such messes. I may have been in such a position once or twice, just don't admit to it.

I insist on good tires, a winch and a set of "Max Trax" boards in my rig. Sure cuts down on hoping someone comes by.

I'm not sure that tire chains are ever a bad idea!

Guy

The boys who got stuck had bad tires, no shovel, no tire chains. I was the only one with a tow chain. I was wishing for a winch that's for sure.

I've had more doggone "recovery" adventures than I care to remember:

PH5CQwNl.jpg

CS9IU7Ul.jpg

g20cVG7l.jpg

ZzrHWjgl.jpg

Those "Max Trax" boards are expensive, and made in Australia, but they're really cut down on our use of winches the past few years.

Guy

I've been stuck before. Won't ever go by someone who is. Good tires, chains, shovel and an axe. A highlift jack has been handy. I need a set of those boards Guy has.

Rol_P and I had a few exciting moments last fall in Montana. Didn't get stuck, had good tires, but boy is that Montana mud slicker than snot.
Glad you could help those guys out.

salmonchaser":1u005co1 said:
I've been stuck before. Won't ever go by someone who is. Good tires, chains, shovel and an axe. A highlift jack has been handy. I need a set of those boards Guy has.

I think you'll like 'em. They're so doggone fast and easy to use. Before someone can even get a winch line unspooled, the boards can be kicked under the tires, and the vehicle can ease right on out. Doesn't work all the time, nothing does, but often it's really fast, easy, and pretty safe to use 'em. Safer than a steel-cable winch line anyway.

BTW, most of us have replaced our steel winch lines with synthetic rope too. Much safer for bystanders and a lot lighter too.

Guy

Spring bear season is always the worst time to be in the hills too Guy from a getting stuck standpoint. The snow on top of solid ice is usually really soft and slushy and impossible to get through and then of course that ice sheet underneath really helps out a bunch!

6mm Remington":2diimsh6 said:
Spring bear season is always the worst time to be in the hills too Guy from a getting stuck standpoint. The snow on top of solid ice is usually really soft and slushy and impossible to get through and then of course that ice sheet underneath really helps out a bunch!

Exactly! Places I can drive through, even in kinda middlin' deep snow in Nov, Dec, Jan... Are impassable with less snow remaining, in April & May. And June for that matter.

Guy

IMG_2177.JPG
Nailed it. That's me with the axe, one of the boys on the shovel. The blue ice under the slush was 8 or 10 inches thick. We chopped all of it out of the ruts so we were down to rock.

The kid on the shovel, scout sniper, USMC. Good kid really enjoyed his company for the two hours we were together.

For me it's tire chains on all four and if needed to get out. I carry a 20 log chain and 30 foot tow strap. I have never seen Max Trax boards, I do Carry about 1/2 dozen flat boards 2x6 & 2x4 for jacking up vehicle.

1100 Remington Man":3v7mrjci said:
I have never seen Max Trax boards,

They're fairly new, and way over-priced, but dang, they're so simple, effective and fast to use... Really catching on with folks in the "overlanding" community.

https://us.maxtrax.com.au/

They want something like $300 for a pair of 'em! :shock: There are some less expensive substitutes, but from what I've seen those aren't nearly as durable as the actual Max Trax boards.

I agree about chaining up all four though - that really works great! Makes a basic 4x4 into quite a formidable rig.

Guy

Back