Maine bear

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
Wife is going to Maine in August to hunt black bear. She Will be in a blind over bait shot distance will be 30 to 100 yards. Her 30 06 will be plenty of gun, really haven’t messed with this caliber much as she mainly hunts archery. Current load I have for her is 54 grains of imr 4350 with a 165 grain ballistic tip. Was basically a deer load for deer hunt in Idaho. Give me some insight as I have 165 to 220 grain projectiles in the 30 caliber. As I said usually hunts archery and she hasn’t shot the gun in 7 years, which is a shame but we all know what happens when you argue with a woman. Gun shoots fine with current load but not exactly what I expect from my current battery. I know some people swear by the old 06 but it’s really not a caliber that have ever stroke my fancy. Input?

The 06 has been around for 112 years and has been very popular with hunters, for all of that time. It is still one of the most popular calibers , and for good reason it it works. A well placed shot will take care of your black bear, as it has for all kinds of big game. The 165 gr bullet is a great choice.

Having hunted in Maine for many years a couple of hints: Make sure your wife brings mosquito proof clothing and a good head net. Bug spray is a must. The 06 is more than enough caliber. She'll definitely enjoy the hunt, Good people in Maine.

It will work just fine for her, we have killed lots of bears with smaller rounds and with the 30-06 as well. I wouldn't switch the bullet either, most any bullet will work. I have come to prefer bullets that open up quick but hold together decently well, my opinion is that lots of people who don't hunt bears get talked into bullets too tough and too heavy that just aren't necessary. In the 30-06 the Ballistic Tip is great but so would be any of the tipped bonded core bullets, the Partition, and a lot of the better cup and core bullets. Your wife will do well if she places the bullet in the right spot and double lungs her bear. Good luck on the hunt :)

All the way to Maine to hunt black bear? My goodness, not like there's a shortage of bears in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Montana, British Columbia.... :wink:

Ah now, back to the 30-06 & bear. My son and I have taken several black bear in recent years with the 30-06, and it does just fine. Good shot placement being the most important thing. Double-lung 'em! My son has always just used the 165 gr Nosler Partition. My last was with the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, it worked great, but that was on a longish shot, 325 yards. It was a very quick, one shot kill, with the lead core exiting, and the bullet jacket hanging up in the off-side hide.

Ya, I think she'll be just fine with that rifle and a 165, I think I'd go with the Partition myself, knowing that I'd be shooting at modest range. Either bullet should do just fine though. I normally use a max, or near max load of H4350 with the 165's from a 30-06, but I can't see why your load won't do just fine.

Gosh Gerry shoots 'em with a .270 Winchester! :grin:

Regards, Guy

Yep the last 3 anyway with the good old 270 Win, works almost as good as a 30-06 ;)

A Ballistic Tip wouldn't be my first choice. You never know what you may be presented with when hunting; large bears, less than optimal shot angle, need to drop a bear on the spot, etc.
I've killed a lot of bears and prefer to play it safe. I'd use a 180 Partition in a 30-06 and be comfortable knowing that I've got most situations covered.
On the other hand, my buddy used a 180gr (plain jane) Corlockt Remington bullet on a 350lb back bear. He double lunged the bear at about 75yds and it didn't get more than 50 yds. DOA

165 from an 06 will do fine. The BT will probably be fine also especially since you're not hotrodding it.
I've shot 2 w 165s. Worked fine.

str8meat":6hoirdwp said:
guy its a womens only hunt

Well crud! I hope they only shoot female bears! :grin:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know that "women's only" stuff is important to some women, and if it's important to your lady, then that's the way to do it.

Wishing her terrific success! (y) I think you've got her set up with a good rifle & load.

Regards, Guy

Back