Grizzly Skin Photos

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Okay - I took a few minutes today to take some photos of the grizzly skin. I'm very pleased. It's not a rug, it's not a mount, it's just a tanned skin, and that's what I wanted. My goodness...

Outdoors, in the sunshine:
K94oyPPl.jpg

gOt2pvJl.jpg

MgQodu5l.jpg

Indoors, on the living room floor:
ekQ7dy9l.jpg

The tanned hide is considerably shorter than the measurements we took of the skin on ice up in Alaska. Making it into a rug would take it back to the actual size. It's big enough to impress though! Even dry after the tanning, it's still pretty heavy too.

ai4HOjMl.jpg

Regards, Guy

Looks great, as I recall your bear was the biggest interior Grizz Joey had ever seen. Pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Guy, very impressive bear and a nice tooling rifle too. Thanks for sharing.. Rol

Thanks. A year ago today, I was in grizzly camp, in the arctic.
dKlVhOAl.jpg

WM6qKKBl.jpg

aMpeSAVl.jpg

Good memories.

Guy

Good memories, indeed. And every time you see that hide, the memories will come flooding back. Those memories are the great value of the hunt. Good looking colour on the hide.

Guy, it's awesome! A great experience.

Now...off topic. What's the tool stuck into the ground that looks like a maybe bent shovel. Sorry for asking such an elementary question.

ethmoid1999":27kt7kss said:
Guy, it's awesome! A great experience.

Now...off topic. What's the tool stuck into the ground that looks like a maybe bent shovel. Sorry for asking such an elementary question.

That's an old ice-axe. Newer ones have steel handles. They're for mountaineering. Excellent tool for the purpose. I've used one quite often. The ice-axe in the photo belonged to one of the guides, Joey Klutsch. He takes it with him pretty much whenever he leaves home to guide folks in Alaska. I thought that was pretty cool.

Regards, Guy

Guy,
That Grizzly fur is absolutely gorgeous.
Very happy for you buddy.

JD338

Guy, you enjoyed that hunt so much! Please listen to me Guy. I am at the jumping off point in life and it is what I didn't do I regret not what I did do-- arrange another bear hunt, but make it a coastal bear hunt as the hunt is definitely different that inland bear hunting. Dont spend money making a rug or a mount, spend it on another hunt. I am probably not old enough to be you mother, but please listen to me anyway lol

You're thinking what I'm thinking. I would very much like to hunt a big coastal brownie, with the 375 H&H now...

And completely agree with the taxidermy. It's thousands of dollars, that frankly I'd rather spend hunting instead of creating some sort of taxidermy art. That's just not my thing, and I'm kinda short on hunting and fishing funds right now anyway.

I appreciate good taxidermy, but all I've got in the house are "European mounts", skulls, antlers and a couple of rugs & skins. Don't have any of my critters in a classic "shoulder" mount, though I sure did think about it with a couple of the good looking animals.

Regards, Guy

Guy I saw the photos on your FB account with my phone however seeing them on my computer show how beautiful it really is.
I agree with everyone else every time you look at that trophy all those wonderful memories with come back.
Thanks for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

Very nice Guy! Awesome trophy and experience. Something a whole lot of people can't say they ever done including me. And maybe never will, but shooting a grizz is no small potatoes! Congratulations on the success.

1100 Remington Man":2mre0pyc said:
Guy how did the Wolf turn out, would like to see pictures of it also.. Thanks

The tannery is just getting started on the wolf. I hadn't given it to them to work with until recently.

Small operation, fairly young business.

If the wolf hide comes out as nice as the grizzly did, my wife will be very pleased. She wants to hang the white wolf hide on the dark gray bricks to the side of our fireplace. It should be quite striking there.

Guy

ShadeTree":3r1vwxd5 said:
Very nice Guy! Awesome trophy and experience. Something a whole lot of people can't say they ever done including me. And maybe never will, but shooting a grizz is no small potatoes! Congratulations on the success.

Thanks - of course I way over-spent for my income level, but yes it was a great hunt. And that's what I was truly after, those days in the Arctic, seeking the grizzly, then stalking him...

Fairly late in the hunt I had reconciled to probably coming home without a grizzly. We'd seen two bears. A small one, probably a female simply outdistanced us. A good sized male was shot by the other hunter in camp. Then that hunter and one guide left.

The two of us left glassed and glassed... With nothing for days. I was pretty sure we weren't going to get another try at a grizzly. Well, that changed! :grin:

Problem is now that I want to go back and hunt caribou, moose, brown bear, maybe even musk ox... Then I look at my thin wallet, grin and start thinking about hunting chukar & mule deer in my nearby hills. That's going to be just fine.

Regards, Guy

Back