Elk Calls post rut

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
How many elk hunters use a call post rut?
I am reading Elk Tactics by Don Laubach and Mark Henckel and they are pretty positive on the benefits of calling. My elk hunting is in Montana during the 3rd and 4th weeks of rifle season in November.

Just thinking it might be something to try one season to learn for myself. Any thoughts and experiences will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance, Rol

We have heard "them" during that time of the year but Doubt they are rutting. They have heard a lot of calls by then, and my perspective is the quieter the better. If they make a noise, then I know where they are, and that's all I need to know. One mistake is sometimes the only one you get.

I agree with Elkman most of those so called experts on hunting shows are just trying to sell you something.

I've also heard them in early November enough that I've called simply hoping for a response. Their response is generally to go the other way. I do like cow calling however. I typically will cow call once or twice when I slip into heavy cover, it has given me a little edge on those elk I just stumbled into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk call all the time unless they are experiencing a lot of hunting pressure and even then they will still call when it's dark a lot of the time. Even though I carry a cow call I rarely use it outside of the rut. Every once in a while I'll use it to try to get a better idea of their location. I try to call just loud enough for them to hear it and only once or twice and then go silent. We were sneaking on some elk last year and some yahoo (using that term loosely) came off the hill blowing his cow call every other step and the elk went silent. My buddy and I sat down and took a nap. About 4pm they started calling again and we took off after them. We bumped a cow and sat down for another 30-40 minutes even though we could still hear them calling and breaking sticks. Then we tracked them and I shot the 5x7 bull I kill last year at 200yds. Some elk don't go far if you don't chase them. In this case they only went about 5-600yds. Unless they explode and I need to run to try and get a shot I almost always sit down after bumping elk.

I don't know 69's history but I do correspond with both CTD and salmon, so I do know a little about them. I thought it interesting that three hunters with well over a 100 years elk hunting experience, had a similar take on this issue. Not often does this happen. . :grin:

Some one on one of those hunting shows must have advocated, elk are noisy, they "talk a lot" so cover your sloppy movements with a cow call. I've seen that same yahoo. I was taking a break, watching a big draw I knew had a bunch of elk in it. Sitting against a big Ponderosa, in the sun. Heard him coming rolling rocks, heavy feet and cow calling. Walked right by me. Walked about another 100 yards, saw how steep it got, turned around and came back. This time he saw me, guess I beat you in he said, I went way down the ridge, don't think they are in here.

Elkman, I have been hunting elk since 1965 so when elk calling got popular like most people I was calling too much. Made many mistakes over the years but tried to learn from them.

The yahoo I was talking about saw us about 200yds below him as we were working slowly into the elk. He decided to jump on the next finger ridge and try to pass us. It was only 150yds to the side of us. When the elk went silent he started sidehilling away from us but never went any further down hill, where the elk actually were, and where it gets super steep.

I think the people today have a huge advantage with the internet, although there is a lot of misinformation as well. When we learned to kill elk there weren't hunting shows or YouTube videos about it. I have watched a lot of Randy Newberg's stuff and he knows what he is doing. He seems to be a really good voice for hunters too.

BTW I'm a small portion of that 100+ years of elk hunting experience Bill is referring to. :lol: I've only been elk hunting since 1989 but I typically kill at least 2 a year. Hopefully it will be 3 or 4 this year as we should draw for cows in UT again at a minimum. IMO elk are quite a bit easier to kill then a good muledeer. They are much more predictable and the calling gives up their location all the time.

69 I was being conservative in my estimate, you are just are only a couple years behind me, my bad. My first elk was in 61 and I was shadowing my dad a few years before that. So the 4 of us are pushing over 150+ years, what an amazing milestone. I am hoping for a few more before I get too, beat up for the hills.

I hear you Elkman, we can be grateful that we can still get around good enough to hunt elk. I see people at the gym a lot younger than me that can barely walk much less hike the hills.

This will be my 51st consecutive elk season. I am most grateful for still being able to go in after them. I've had a few multi elk years, one year I took three. I am content with one.
I think big mule deer bucks, 30 inch class, are the epitome of western hunting.

Thank you for sharing your vast experiences fellas. Having only started elk hunting in 2013 I am only an old beginner searching for knowledge and youall have been very helpful. Most appreciated and thanks to each. Rol

Back