Spring Bear is Winding Down

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Well, invested a long day of hunting for bear yesterday, getting home at one in the morning. It is one advantage of long days. It was still light enough to see for hunting as we neared 2300. Found lots of fresh sign, but didn't see all that many bears. We did see three grizzlies, a boar tending a sow and a younger boar that was lingering in the same area a couple of hours later. Saw two blackies. I was prepared to take a poke at the first one, but decided against it. Just as well as he was nervous and made the decision for me by scurrying into the bush. Just nice to get away and see what is still around. It seems that we are seeing a lot more grizzlies than I remember from a few years back. Of course, they are now off the list for hunting, at least until we see a change in government. It is always good to see them. My hunting partner spent three days last week in the bush and saw twelve grizzlies. They are lovely animals to watch--awe-inspiring, but still graceful in a powerful way. I did find that the old ticker still gets to kicking when coming upon a bear. Makes no difference whether it is a black or a grizzly, I still get a rush. If I didn't, I do believe I'd give up entirely. I hope to get out one more time before the season closes. I saw a couple of nice blacks, one well over six feet and the other pushing six feet a couple of weeks back. I did take a poke at the larger of the two, but cleanly missed. Rushed my shot at about 300 yards and without enough of a steady rest. Checked his track and verified that he was an honest six foot plus bear. I do love the hunt. How's your season going?

Good for you Dr Mike. Glad you are still able to get out there and enjoy the woods and the animals in those woods. Great day, thanks for sharing

Too bad on the miss but it does happen from time to time, hope it all works out for you the next time out. In the first half of May I passed up a shot on a bear that I should have taken holding out for a bigger one since we had the whole season. He was probably a 6' bear though. My young cousin got a beauty boar with nice color that I posted earlier but as many of you know one week later he almost died from a defect in his brain that started to bleed. He was rushed to Vancouver for an emergency operation. He is doing remarkably well right now considering what happened and has a 6-18 month recovery they figure. After all that I didn't have the heart to go out again hunting but might look for a bear when it opens again on August 15. It is open till the end of June still but I don't feel like going out again right now. Things are looking up with him and us though right now and we are thankful he is still with us.

So glad to hear of your cousin's improvement in health; that is a real answer to prayer, Gerry. I passed on the one black bear last evening, though he did help me make the decision. I commented, however, that just seeing the grizzlies was worth the price of admission. They still give my heart a boost. As for missing, that auto crash a couple of years ago has taken more of a toll on me that I cared to admit. I'm having considerable pain in my shoulder and neck from the injury to my jaw. I'm wondering if it will ever heal. It has certainly slowed me down on shooting my heavier cartridges, that's for sure.

Mike,

Good to hear that you are getting some time to get out and hunt. Best of luck to you for your late season bear.

JD338

Thanks DrMike. Those big boomers aren't so fun when you have injuries to contend with, thankfully these days with the bullets we have available for smaller rounds the big cartridges aren't needed as much as they used to be. Hope you get one of those bears the next time out, in your favor is with the rut being on now the bigger boars might get careless and come out where you can shoot them. That's a lot of grizzlies you guys are seeing and always nice to see such an amazing animal. We saw some moose, lots of black bears, a bunch of birds and small game animals and even a groundhog of all things when we were out. He was brown and not the typical coloration of a hoary marmot which we usually see up in the alpine.

Pretty cool stuff guys. Mike I'm glad you're seeing bears, and sorry you missed one.

Gerry, glad the young fellow is doing better!

Guy

Thanks, Jim and Guy. Yeah, I'm having some trouble admitting that I'm not as young as I once was and that there may be some deficiencies. There has been a price for living this long, but it has been worth it. It is still cool to get out into the mountains and see the bears. When I get to the point that seeing these bruins no longer gets my blood pumping, I'll likely be in the ground.

Good for you DrMike on getting out a few times for Black Bears as I know that you have often stated that it may be you favourite hunt.
Well I sure hope that you are able to anchor one of those critters and please remember that we will need a full report with photos :wink:.
Which calibre are you carrying for spring bear?

Blessings,
Dan

Glad to hear you're getting out Dr Mike. You asked how the season is going for the rest of us. June in this part of the country means no hunting season.

Don't over do it, but don't give up! The rest of us need some people to look up to. Ha. Regardless of the outcome enjoy it. But I hope you connect, and if you do I will be sorely disappointed without a story and pictures.

Dan,

I was carrying the 9.3X64 when I found the recoil was rather painful. Those truck crashes do have consequences. The last trip out, I was carrying my 350 Rem Mag. Gil gave me the gears yesterday because it still has some recoil. He's right, of course. Whether I anchor a bear or not is not a biggie. I've passed on more than a few bears, as you yourself have witnessed. Just being in their living room is still a rush for me.

Good luck to you if you make it out again, DrMike. Glad you were able to see both black and grizzly bears and are enjoying your time in the back country.

Gerry, glad to hear your young cousin is on the road to recovery.

Dr Mike. I m so glad that you are still getting out for a bit and enjoying the wilderness, streams, wildlife , especially in the spring time. You have harvested plenty of game Dr Mike, there is nothing wrong with just enjoying your time with them. Yes,I Agree no matter how many times I watch a bear, especially when they are fishing, it is a wonderful experience and enjoyable to watch them.

I am looking at a new rifle, a 45/70 that comes with a screw on brake. Might be something to consider, in regards to the recoil anyway.

B.C. has twice a many Grizzlies as we do here in the Yukon. The ban on hunting them in B.C. is 100% political and it is sad. And we have some concern that the politics will try to move north. Being a territory helps some, and not having a town like Vancouver in the territory helps a lot.

I also have mentioned this to you in the past but will do do again. Please dont hunt alone.

Gerry. I am glad your cousin is doing well. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Thankful Otter":9x2cpcnv said:
Dr Mike. I m so glad that you are still getting out for a bit and enjoying the wilderness, streams, wildlife , especially in the spring time. You have harvested plenty of game Dr Mike, there is nothing wrong with just enjoying your time with them. Yes,I Agree no matter how many times I watch a bear, especially when they are fishing, it is a wonderful experience and enjoyable to watch them.

I am looking at a new rifle, a 45/70 that comes with a screw on brake. Might be something to consider, in regards to the recoil anyway.

B.C. has twice a many Grizzlies as we do here in the Yukon. The ban on hunting them in B.C. is 100% political and it is sad. And we have some concern that the politics will try to move north. Being a territory helps some, and not having a town like Vancouver in the territory helps a lot.

I also have mentioned this to you in the past but will do do again. Please dont hunt alone.

Gerry. I am glad your cousin is doing well. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Nice post. (y)

Dr Mike you are lucky to live in such a area. I have only hunted bears once but I can see how it gets in your blood. For what it's worth I don't have any ailments but I am not a fan of heavy recoiling rifles and the older I get the less I see a need for rifle's in Magmun caliber's.
Hope you get a 6 footer.

Oh, yeah, bear does get into the bloodstream! Heavy recoil never bothered me too much before this last crash. Shooting itself isn't too bad, but it begins to be painful pretty quickly. Fortunately, I do have lighter recoiling rifles, so it isn't a game-ender. I grabbed these rifles out of habit.

Back