Anticipation, Tag Fever! :)

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Waiting impatiently for the draws in both Washington and Wyoming.

Applied for non-resident deer & antelope tags for Wyoming. Love that hunt! If drawn, I'll be heading east in October with high hopes and a 25-06 rifle.

Applied for a bunch of tags here in Washington. Am already planning to hunt deer, bear and elk with my over-the-counter tags.

Not much chance of drawing the coveted "once-in-a-lifetime" moose, mountain goat or bighorn sheep tags, but... Maybe.

If I draw a moose tag, I'll be hunting near Spokane, and will recruit a small army of strong young men to come help me cut it up and pack it out. They work for beer, so that's easy enough. :wink:

If I draw a bighorn tag... I'll be ecstatic, I've spent 20+ years hiking the hills just north of town where they hang out. We've got three herds of them within 30 miles of home, and a herd with some excellent rams just a few miles north of town. :grin: Am unlikely to draw, but I'd sure be happy about it if I did.

Mountain Goat? I dunno... I know where they live too, and I'm not sure I want to go there! :shock:

Naw, I'd give it a try.

Meanwhile, I need to go fishing or something. The suspense is killing me. Wyoming draw is slated for the 21st of June, and Washington should draw by the end of the month.

Who else is waiting for the draw?

Guy

I'm waiting to see if I was successful on a couple of draws. I will hunt both elk and mule deer, regardless. However, I did apply for each of these limited entry hunts in order to extend the season, just in case.

I am waiting on the results of the Oregon elk draw. If drawn that will give me a cow, spke, and any bull tag. If I do not draw I will hunt in the general, spike only hunt east of Baker City.

I'm waiting on ID and UT drawings. I put in for the same bull tag I had 2 years ago here in ID along with a extra cow tag, a muzzleloader antelope tag, and a unlimited deer tag (you have to apply but everyone draws). In UT I put in for the same cow tag I had 2 years ago. I have pretty good odds of drawing at least one of the cow tags. That would give me 2 bulls tags (regardless if I draw. A resident tag and a non-resident tag) and a cow tag plus 2 deer tags (also a resident and non-resident) and possibly an antelope tag. If I got really lucky I might have all 4 elk tags. I've never shot 4 elk in one year although I had 4 tags 2 years ago and shot 3. I just didn't have time to hunt on the 4th tag because we had to make 2 trips to eastern ID for my wife's cow moose hunt.

Well, here in Washington, reality set in again. Neither my son or I drew anything special here. We are however, quite content to be hunting elk, deer & bear with our over-the-counter tags.

And I drew Wyoming tags for deer & antelope. :grin:

Guy

Just a cow tag for me this year in Wyoming.. We do have a good hunt planned for some Arizona elk with my hunting partner though. I am looking forward to that one a bunch. Never hunted Arizona and it's a pretty reasonable hunt in regards to points. All of the reading and other AZ hunters say it is harder to find a full racked bull since they fight so darned much!

Arizona is a pretty cool place Scotty. Was there in April. Lots of elk, lots of altitude too. I was only in Northern Arizona though. Most the forests I was in were fairly sparse, looks like there could be some longish range shooting for a hunter.

Re the cow tag... I'd be content with a cow tag every year for the rest of my life!

Best of luck!

Guy

Guy Miner":3h2a975t said:
Arizona is a pretty cool place Scotty. Was there in April. Lots of elk, lots of altitude too. I was only in Northern Arizona though. Most the forests I was in were fairly sparse, looks like there could be some longish range shooting for a hunter.

Re the cow tag... I'd be content with a cow tag every year for the rest of my life!

Best of luck!

Guy

Thanks Guy, I am looking forward to it! Heck, anytime I can get into new elk country I am all for it!

Best of luck fellas. I applied for locak elk, bull only. Put in for point only on bear. Only hunting OTC deer. The big hunt is the Huntingmoon Moose hunt this October in Newfoundland.

JD338

JD - that moose hunt ought to be really something special.

Eagerly anticipating your hunt report! Which rifle gets to go for moose?

Guy

Good luck everyone. JD that moose hunt sounds great! Scotty, hope you enjoy your AZ elk hunt, my son was drawn a couple years ago and shot his 1st bull there. We did see a lot of elk , mostly cows though.

We didn't get drawn for elk in AZ, still waiting to hear about mule deer in Northern AZ.

Scotty, you will love Arizona. I have recommended Arizona to several members here. If you ever get to hunt a bull on the reservation, you will love it. Dont forget Coues deer as well, another good hunt in Arizona

Glad you enjoyed your hunt there Allen

I need to go home one day soon

Hah! Goat tags!!! Life is good...and so is antelope tenderloin :) Congrats! officially jealous :) CL

Guy Miner":163qmawi said:

Guy

Guy,
I'll be taking my trusty M700LSS 338 RUM loaded up with the 265 gr ABLR at 2915 fps. Sue is bringing her Nosler M48 280 AI loaded with the 160 gr PT.

JD338

We didn't draw our cow elk tags in UT again. Pretty bummed about that. We drew the first year we put in and haven't drawn since, even with a extra point this year. The first year we put in there was only 7 people applying for 5 tags and last year there was 20. Who knows what this year was but in all the previous years the numbers applying were barely over the number of tags so it's weird to have it jump so dramatically lately. I told my buddy we are going to have to put in for WY first and see if we draw before applying for UT next year. We would still apply for points just not for a tag if we draw for WY first.

ID is super slow on every draw this year. Last year we found out in June and I can't ever remember not getting the results before the 4th of July. Still nothing so far. The trophy tag (moose, sheep, and goat) results were 2 weeks late this year.

JD338":21dtddcu said:
Guy Miner":21dtddcu said:

Guy

Guy,
I'll be taking my trusty M700LSS 338 RUM loaded up with the 265 gr ABLR at 2915 fps. Sue is bringing her Nosler M48 280 AI loaded with the 160 gr PT.

JD338

Two mighty fine rifles/bullets. Either should work well. I'm glad you've stuck with that awesome 338 RUM rifle! It's treated you real well over the years.

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE THIS COMING SEASON! (y)

Guy

They finally posted ID draws. I got a extra elk tag and the unlimited deer tag. Blanked out on a bull tag and a muzzleloader antelope tag.

IdahoCTD":c7xj2s17 said:
They finally posted ID draws. I got a extra elk tag and the unlimited deer tag. Blanked out on a bull tag and a muzzleloader antelope tag.

Still sounds pretty good! (y)

Back