Elk Bullet?

Pee Wee

Beginner
Aug 19, 2017
Hello all,
If both bullets shoot groups....What bullet would you use for elk out of a 28 nosler at approx. 3100 fps.....200-400 yard shots.
175 Grain Partition or 160 grain AB?

Thanks for your input,
Pee Wee

My son, 17 is going on a guided Utah elk hunt this fall.....Paid for the whole thing himself.
I'm just trying my best to give him a combo that preforms the best.

Truck driver is right both are excellent choices. I know that even at close range the PT holds together. I have not shot any elk at close range with the AB. I have been using the PT since the 60's.

Some guys like Redheads, just because....
Some guys like Blondes, just because....

Either choice is going to be the 'Right' choice.

Just because, either will light up your world !

You got two winners. I like the weight, but love the AB bullets. They crush critters.

The AB has a boattail. Are you worried about wind?

If I had 175 in AB or PT, I’d pick the AB

If I had both in 160, I’d pick the AB.

That said, I like the extra 15gns with the PT.

No reason to not let your son pick the one he likes the most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkman":2wjsmrbb said:
Truck driver is right both are excellent choices. I know that even at close range the PT holds together. I have not shot any elk at close range with the AB. I have been using the PT since the 60's.

TackDriver you mean? :mrgreen:

Either one will be a winner. Of the two, I'd lean towards the 175 gr PT just in case you have a 50 yard shoulder shot.

JD338

Typically, a guide is going to discourage any shooting that's far enough that the ABLR's BC advantage would come into play...and that might be even more true for a 17 year old. I've got to think that guide is going to work hard to get him as close to bayonet range as possible.

I'd load that Partition and make sure you've got freezer space.

I like your thinking! "bayonet range" LOL
Since neither of us has used a guide before I'm not real sure what to expect. I'm going to tell him to get us close as possible.

Pee Wee":1sbv2xky said:
I like your thinking! "bayonet range" LOL
Since neither of us has used a guide before I'm not real sure what to expect. I'm going to tell him to get us close as possible.

Just speaking in generalities....most guides are suspect of their clients' field shooting abilities and will discourage anything over a couple of hundred yards under most circumstances. I have a friend who guides bears and won't even attempt a stalk unless he's reasonably sure he can close to under a hundred.

The stories he tells about client's bad shooting are beyond comprehension. I only consider myself a fair shot with a rifle, after an evening hearing his tales...I suddenly feel like a member of the "shooting Illuminati".

Having taken a dozen elk over the years with 7MM's (Rem Mag and STW) with 165 SGK's and 160 AB's, I know that the AB will reliably harvest elk from 70 to 475 yards with proper bullet placement. Just stay clear of that onside shoulder bone, but by all means break the offside shoulder if you can!

Hope he enjoys his hunt!

I've only taken one elk with the 175 gr Nosler Partition, from my old 7mm Rem Mag, loaded to about 2900 fps.

Quick, one-shot kill with full penetration on a broadside shot, at about 180 yards. I hit him right behind the front leg, about 1/3 the way up the body. Didn't get either shoulder. The exit wound was about the size of a quarter. After the shot, he took a few faltering steps, then collapsed.

Next elk was many years later, a cow at 338 yards, with my 30-06 and a 165 gr Ballistic Tip loaded to 2970 fps. The B-Tip punched right through her shoulder blade, destroyed the lungs and killed her very quickly. She staggered less than 20 yards after the hit, and I'm not sure how she managed that. Thing was, even the mid-weight Ballistic Tip worked very well, and you're talking about two bullets that are stronger, and better suited for elk. My B-Tip bullet probably wouldn't have fared all that well against the shoulder at close range.

I think either one of your choices would be great, but I'd select the 175, just like I did years ago for my big bull.

And most importantly... BEST OF LUCK TO THE YOUNG HUNTER! (y)

Regards, Guy

I can only add to what has already been said, either bullet will serve your son well. I lean toward the PT. It has stood me in good stead in my 7RM for many years. The AB is certainly a proven performer, however. I've used it in a variety of cartridges, and they have never let me down. Still, being old and somewhat feeble-minded, I like what I used for many years. So, it's the PT for me.

I'm a firm believer in accuracy, shot placement and bullet performance.
So....it's off to the range to see how each shoots.

Thanks for the info!!
P.W.

I have used both of them out of a fast 7mm and cannot recommend one over the other. The 160 AccuBond is my all time favorite 7mm bullet. Usually it is very accurate and I have stuffed it through both front leg bones with 0 issues. I kinda think along the lines of if I would do it with the Partition, I'd do it with the AccuBond. I think you are on the right track of seeing which is more accurate. Both are PLENTY for any bull roaming the hills.

Just got done loading the 160 Gr. A.B.for shooting a latter test this weekend.....Will let everyone know the shooting results when completed.

P.W.

Pee Wee
Sometimes they are a little picky. so don't give up. In my 7 mm Mag the 160 AB's like H-1000, in my 7 Mashburn they like H-4350. My 300 WM likes the 180 PT with 72 gr. of H-4350.

Back