Coyote Rifle?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Do you have a favorite coyote rifle? Often coyotes are just a target of opportunity for me, I'll be out in ranch/farmland and see one, so whatever rifle (or handgun) is on hand gets the chore. My favorite though is my 25-06 Rem 700 CDL with the 6x Leupold. I don't use a specialized handload, preferring to simply use my deer & antelope load, a 115 gr bullet at 3100+ fps. I keep the rifle zeroed at 300 yards, and it shoots flat enough that shots from up close to 400+ yards haven't been a problem.

O9aCm73h.jpg

vbUsETkh.jpg

Guy

When I was in AZ it was my 7REM. Never really chased 'Yotes, but I sure as hell drew down on one whenever I caught one doing stupid and let me get a shot off!

I've got a .223 Ruger American for a predator calling rifle...although I'm likely going to use my 6.5CM for that in the future. My hunting buddy has laid in a good supply of 6.5 100gr FMJs Lapuas that we are going to do load development on later this summer.

Guy Miner":2qmeteei said:
Do you have a favorite coyote rifle? Often coyotes are just a target of opportunity for me, I'll be out in ranch/farmland and see one, so whatever rifle (or handgun) is on hand gets the chore. My favorite though is my 25-06 Rem 700 CDL with the 6x Leupold.

Guy
Always liked CDLs. Good looking rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman":xe7hz6zj said:
My hunting buddy has laid in a good supply of 6.5 100gr FMJs Lapuas that we are going to do load development on later this summer.
FMJ for coyotes? Get a good dog cause you’re gonna be tracking a bunch and losing a bunch. To each his own I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington 700 BDL 6mm Rem with a 85gr Sierra HPBT

Remington 700 VSII .223 Rem with a 53gr Hornady V Max

These are what I use when I go Coyote hunting, but in reality I use what ever is in my hands and never pass up a oppurnity to shoot one.
The ones I have shot with my .264 Win Mag has really unzipped them at close range so I would say this is to much gun if you want to save hides.

Usually whatever I am hunting with at the time.
I have used the following on coyotes over the years:
Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62x39,
Brno Fox in 222,
Remington 700 in 243,
Remington 700 in 6.5x55,
Remington 700 in 270,
Browning B-78 in 270 Wby,
Remington 700 in 280,
Remington 700 in 7MM Rem Mag.

Here in BC hunting with FMJ's is not allowed, so all soft points.

My all time favorite yote rifle was my Winchester M70 push feed XTR sporter in .243! I used 100gr bullets on everything, rockchucks, prairie dogs, coyote, and deer.
That combo made the rockchucks and prairie dogs flip 20ft in the air and 30 ft back. The 100gr bullet was absolute murder on a yote. If broadside anywhere from 50 to 400 yds, it rolled them several times, and made them expire almost immediately. With deer, and antelope, usually only stepped a few feet before crumpling on the hoof.
Then I got a Ruger M77 in .25-06, and handloaded 100gr Sierra Game Kings to almost 3200fps, and the same thing. The .25-06 would be like a bomb on the rockchucks, and the prairie dogs. My longest shot was on a yote at around 500 yds, and nailed it on the spot.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Now I'm packing a Marlin XS7 in .243 with using only 100gr bullets, again.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

The old 700 BDL-V in 6mm Rem killed more Washington coyotes than mange for about a 5 year stretch.

Wearing a fixed 10x Leupold and running 55 grain NBTs at 4100+.... it was serious coyote medicine.

truckdogs-1.jpg

Lord man! That is a lot! Anyway targets of opportunity for me. 240 Bee 90 gr AB at almost 3500 fps. They just can't take that load!

Songdog":3fkhmbjh said:
The old 700 BDL-V in 6mm Rem killed more Washington coyotes than mange for about a 5 year stretch.

Wearing a fixed 10x Leupold and running 55 grain NBTs at 4100+.... it was serious coyote medicine.

truckdogs-1.jpg

I remember that photo and am still amazed by it! (y)

I've loaded those 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in my/our 6mm Remington, and they are formidable!

Brought back some good memories with that post & photo.

Thank you!

Guy

Ours tend to run a lot closer here in the brush, woods and small farms of Central MN. Truth be told, it would be a toss up between my barn gun, a .22 rimfire Norinco JW15 with CCI stingers or the various hunting 12 gauges I've had over the years as far as which I've taken the most with. Usually BB steel in those. Targets of opportunity around the homestead.

If I'm calling, it is universally the Stoeger 3" with a HV load of 1 1/4 oz buffered lead BB and/or In open country, I just use my RRA Natl Match AR-15 with my standard match load of the 75 Hornady HPBT over 23.5 Varget. I have very good el and wind dope on this combo, and have knocked them down to 500 yards. Keep some range stakes out in the neigbor's hayfield through the winter for that purpose. I like this bullet on coyotes. Good damage, but not explosive. They're still worth skinning.

Songdog were you mostly calling ? and I'm surprised with a fixed 10x scope did you ever have problems with a small field of view ?

I never did try 55gr Nosler BT in my 6mm Rem maybe I should, what was your load ?

Thanks and I do like the photo.

I normally shoot coyotes with what is handy but it mostly during Big game hunting so it is not real fur friendly :shock:.
I have a 204 in a 527 American that took a pile of coyotes one fall & winter while Upland bird hunting.
Last 5 years she has been a safe queen :oops:.
I am going to be looking at selling her or trading for a decent used O/U for this coming fall :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Guy, never thought I'd say beautiful pictures as it relates to coyotes, but both of those are great pictures.

Songdog, super impressive. Glad there are people out there serious about keeping those rascals in check.

Like Polaris, around here when specifically hunted most are probably taken with shotgun. The rest are taken with whatever in hand when hunting something else.

Back