Spare Elk Rifle?

Pee Wee

Beginner
Aug 19, 2017
Hello,
Is a Rem 25-06 with say a 110-120 grain bullet good enough for a "spare" elk rifle?
My boy is going to Utah this fall on his first elk hunt. His "main" rifle will be a 28 nosler, but we want to have a spare gun just in case something should happen to the 28.
We know someone who has an expensive 300 RUM...... but hate to ask if we could take it along....if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
P.W.

A 25-06 with a good modern controlled expansion bullet would be just fine as a backup IMHO.

I have about 100 110 grain AB bullets on hand.... but would consider buying 120 grain Partition bullets if need be.

P.W.

While the 25-06 may not be the perfect elk rifle, it will work in a pinch, given some discretion as to how far one pushes the envelope on shot opportunities to be taken. Bullet placement is key, with limits on distance and presentation.
Those 110 gr AB's should be plenty accurate, and provide good expansion and penetration on broadside or quartering away shot presentations.

It will beat rocks and spears if something happens to the 28. In my 60+ years of hunting I have had only had one equipment malfunction. It was a scope and it was just a few days before the season. I took one from another rifle and sighted my primary in the night before the opening day. Since then I always have a taken a backup with me. Never needed it.

Sorry, I'm going to have to get into the Negative column on this one. As Blkram said "If everything is perfect". I haven't seen nor heard of too many "perfect" shots at elk. Elk can be killed with a .223 if the shot placement is right. I guess I'm of the group of "Carry enough Rifle/Bullet" crowd. As we all know if you have to track Elk after a shot they usually die in the most inhospitable places.

My experience with the 2506 is limited. In the last 4 years I've seen four elk taken with the .25/06 and 120 grain partitions out to about 250 yards. Between the slats into the lungs it worked great. Tough angles have left something to be desired, but I was able to track and find the elk. As a back up to his 28 I think you're fine. I backed a backup to elk camp for years. In 50 years of elk hunting it was needed once.

I know it's not the perfect elk rifle.....but for a spare gun it might be ok. Just wanted your guys opinion on how well it work on elk ....or if we should ask for the 300 RUM from our friend and be done with it???

Thanks in advance,
P.W.

When I started hunting with a 25-06, I was impressed with the instantly lethal kills I was getting on mule deer. Later that went on to pronghorn as well.

Then I started hearing from friends about all the elk and black bear they'd killed with their 25-06 rifles over the years...

I'd never considered it for that role, but I'm a believer. A good bullet, well placed, and it should work just fine.

Guy

pee wee
do you think your son could handle the recoil of a 300 RUM? While I agree that the 25 is less than I would use, but a bullet placed in the right spot, is better than one 6 inches to the left. Your chances of needing a backup are slim, but he might be better off with one that is easier on the shoulder, and more familiar with.

Elkman":2tt8g34b said:
pee wee
do you think your son could handle the recoil of a 300 RUM? While I agree that the 25 is less than I would use, but a bullet placed in the right spot, is better than one 6 inches to the left. Your chances of needing a backup are slim, but he might be better off with one that is easier on the shoulder, and more familiar with.

Exactly run a AB PT S2 or AF and be done with it. Just pick your shot and make sure it's close. A 25-06 isn't a 300 yard elk gun. 150-200 if things are perfect.

Thanks for reminding me about the recoil....never gave that a thought.
The odds of even using this gun on this hunt are next to none... but needed some input from you guys.
Looks like off to the range with the old 25 and get it dialed in as well.

Thanks for your time and help!
P.W.

Can't you beg, borrow, or deal for a 308, or 7/08? I'd be much more comfortable with either over a 25/06, or the 300 RUM.

This is a good idea....What about a 270? I might be able to get my hands on one of those...

Pee Wee":2y26rzi6 said:
This is a good idea....What about a 270? I might be able to get my hands on one of those...

Sure, the 270 is a proven elk rifle. Why not?

Guy

I never thought about the guy at work who has a 270.....I would think he would let me use it if I asked.

Don't over think this Pee Wee. Like Guy said, nothing wrong with a 270 but the odds something happens to his 28 are remote. I hate barrowing rifles hate loaning even more.
He needs to be running and shooting.

Good point with the over thinking!...... I'm really good at that!.... I have OCD :wink:

As far as borrowing, I'm not a fan of that either, that's why I wanted some opinions on the 25 working as a backup rifle.
Just want this to be a memorable hunt and have as many bases covered as possible, if you know what I mean.
Oh ya, we're off to the range in the morning for more trigger time.

I do appreciate the time and input you guy's have given to me on this subject.
P.W.

I agree the 25-06 would work. A friend who has killed a pile of elk did so with a 270 and 130gr Winchester Power Point bullets. A tougher bullet from the 25-06 would perform at least as well. Just be picky on shot angle and range.

If you are worried about it I'd get the 270. If I got the 270 I'd try some ammo loaded with the 140gr AccuBond. I have killed elk with that bullet and it performed well and exited. I also took a finishing shot on a muley another guy had wounded at 400yds. My bullet entered near the spine high in the hind quarters and ended up under the hide in the neck. It showed awesome penetration. That was with a 270WSM but it was only about 75fps faster than my load with the 270 win.

Back