Slams

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Have any of you fellows ever thought about trying to complete a slam or if any of you have, please tell us about it.

We did get all 6 breeds of Turkey and I think it was called a world slam of turkeys.

We often spoke of the North America slam and at last count we had harvested 18 of the 29 different species, but that is not even close.

We discussed the sheep slam, but ended up only harvesting two different sheep breeds, again, not close.

Has anybody else here had or still has a dream or goal of completing a "slam" ?

How many different breeds have you harvested ?

Never really interested me, though I think it's cool that some folks go after a "slam" such as taking all the types of bighorn sheep in North America, etc.

I would like to hunt all the different breeds of turkeys but except for that I would never have the time or money to ever hunt some of the animals on the North America slam. Isn't some of the sheep breeds, like a once in a lifetime type tag. This would have been easier in the 30's and 40's I think

I think the only "slam" I can accomplish would be the "Alaska Small Game Slam".... which I totally made up. 4 grouse, 3 ptarmigan, 2 hares... up here our 3 squirrels are classed furbearers, but you could go either way on that.

I only lack the sooty grouse (hooters) of S.E. AK and the Alaska Hare from western AK... to complete it. Both require a plane ride.

For what it's worth, O'Connor who helped coined the whole "slam" idea came to regret his role in it later in life. For instance, back in the day a slam of N. American sheep was not cheap, but doable with some reasonable effort. Today, it'd take a million+ and 30 years or more.

I'd like to take all the NA deer, elk, and moose. Tule elk probably being the hardest of those. I dont have a huge desire to hunt all the sheep. I'm going to try and do a dall at some point but I hate to give up my deer, elk, and antelope draws to put in for sheep here in IDand I know people that have had to put in for 20+ years to draw.

The only 'Slam' I have is in the state I lived in. Whitetail, black bear, boar & turkey. That alone cost more time & money than my EX cared for, thus one of the reasons I say 'EX'.

Gee the only slam I have completed is slamming the door on my way out when I'm pissed off but haven't felt the need to complete that one in a long while. :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:

Still dreaming of the African Spiral Horn Slam!

Only "slam" I could almost consider would be the BC ungulate slam (just having fun here, as I do not think this exists! LOL). I harvested in one season in BC, whitetail, mule deer, moose, elk and caribou. But I guess technically not a slam, or fully complete as I did not harvest a blacktail deer, and the caribou was a woodland, and I did not harvest a mountain caribou, and the elk was a rocky mountain elk and I did not harvest a roosevelt.

Craig Boddington brought this exact scenario up in a past issue of American Hunter (I believe that was the magazine). His comment was that in years past a grand slam was possible given adequate time. His next comment was Nowadays a grand slam would cost a fortune and not be available to the average hunter (Boddington included).

Doesn't IHOP, offer a Grand Slam, breakfast??? Pretty reasonable and you don't have to travel far.

Bill. I thought they changed it to IHOB

There are a lot of negatives living in the territories--cold, dark, isolation, but we are rich in big game animal species

Black, White and brown bear, wolf, cougar, Barren ground and Woodland Caribou, Elk, Moose, Dall and Stone sheep, Goat, Mule and White tail deer, wood Bison, Muskox, Walrus

Thankful Otter":3ou8hdoq said:
Bill. I thought they changed it to IHOB

There are a lot of negatives living in the territories--cold, dark, isolation, but we are rich in big game animal species

Black, White and brown bear, wolf, cougar, Barren ground and Woodland Caribou, Elk, Moose, Dall and Stone sheep, Goat, Mule and White tail deer, wood Bison, Muskox, Walrus
I could take it for a little while but then I would miss the sea food :roll:

Rodger, you have heard of the Beaufort Sea. It has a fish or two lol We eat a large variety of fish from the sea, river, lake. We cook fish in the grill and "slam" it on the plate

Gil, I hope you wil get your Africa slam, that would be quite an accomplishment

Blkram":1v5kfqcd said:

Only "slam" I could almost consider would be the BC ungulate slam (just having fun here, as I do not think this exists! LOL). I harvested in one season in BC, whitetail, mule deer, moose, elk and caribou. But I guess technically not a slam, or fully complete as I did not harvest a blacktail deer, and the caribou was a woodland, and I did not harvest a mountain caribou, and the elk was a rocky mountain elk and I did not harvest a roosevelt.

Love it Gill.

I basically said the same thing. We were going to do the sheep slam--we got two.

But your Africa slam dream would be reachable I believe

yeah Bill, like your idea especially since I like IHOP

Rodger, I bet the young lady in the North dont have many lobsters in her Beaufort sea.

Mike, also like your post--just make up a slam consisting off what you have already taken, works for me.

Europe":qwtzgrx9 said:
Blkram":qwtzgrx9 said:

--just make up a slam consisting off what you have already taken, works for me.
I can do that, Chipmunk, Ground Hog, Gray Squirrel, Fox Squirrel,Pigeons, North American Hare, Quail, Rough Grouse, Eastern Wild turkey and the eastern White tail Deer. The only thing missing is Black Bear though I have killed one in self defense they have only been listed for hunting on a small allotted tag draw but should be coming off that before to long since there are more around then the DNR knows about.
So I guess when I draw a tag I will have killed every game animal and rodents available to hunt here in Md. :)>)

IdahoCTD":3decziq6 said:
I'd like to take all the NA deer, elk, and moose. Tule elk probably being the hardest of those. I dont have a huge desire to hunt all the sheep. I'm going to try and do a dall at some point but I hate to give up my deer, elk, and antelope draws to put in for sheep here in IDand I know people that have had to put in for 20+ years to draw.

I am in the same boat as Nathan.. I wouldn't wanna give up elk and deer to hunt much else. I do enjoy bear hunting so I could see taking a grizzly or brownie one of these days.

Recently watched a Randy Newberg video in which he was helping a hunter who had finally drawn a Montana bighorn permit after 42 years... I didn't realize that 42 years ago there was a draw system in place!

Not sure when I'll stop applying for once-in-a-lifetime tags like moose, mountain goat, and bighorn sheep, but there will be a day when I can't physically do those hunts, so why apply?

Am glad that I started submitting applications for my son when he was much younger. He's in his mid 20's now and starting to pile up a goodly number of points. He just might get drawn while he's still young enough to actually do the hunts!

Guy

Just watched a show where a 68 year old archer drew a Colorado mtn goat tag after 30 years, and harvested a fine animal with his bow!

If that isn't inspiring, I'm not sure what is!

Never give up; if you do, you will never succeed!

At one time I had successfully harvested every big game species here in Saskatchewan but in the last 5 years they have added the Wolf and I have not had the opportunity to hunt them :wink:.
I am not sure if I would take one in the forest as they are not a nuisance there yet but on the farm land they are becoming way more populated and if the opportunity arises I will take it.

Blessings,
Dan

Back