Hunting is related to eating!

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
Killed one of our roe-deer this morning and enjoyed the liver together with my elder son.
Classic German hunter-dish.
How do you enjoy it?

Due to all the onions I might be able to perform the magic trick of the flying blanket tonight though...
c77e7fd9bf655c1da88adafee50a5420.jpg
295497d90db8a1ff823bd8063eae815d.jpg
82fb4fb4f14072368af796b1c2e759b2.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I've always enjoyed liver, sliced thinly and fried in butter served on fresh bread slathered with butter. I truly enjoy the flavour. Never cared much for liver and onions, though I do enjoy a good pate on crackers.

Means you are more into killing than eating?
drakehammer":e7yhgnp8 said:
Blahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the liver chopped up, with bacon, onions and potatoes. congrats on your hunt and dinner.

In reference to your response to Dr Mike, I enjoy both the hunt and the dinner, but in some cases the hunt is more enjoyable and more memorable than the dinner. But I do enjoy food whether hunted, fished for, or purchased

O did respond to the blabla post, cause I did not understand it.
Well, probably did....

I once stalked wild boar and basically ended up in the middle of them. Shot one at 6 yards.
Don't ask me how it tasted ;-)

I like liver and onions with mashed potatoes and gravy. Also like chicken livers the same way.

I will say however that some deer livers are too strong for me to be good. Beef liver is more consistent in that respect.

ShadeTree":1o34mskk said:
I like liver and onions with mashed potatoes and gravy. Also like chicken livers the same way.

I will say however that some deer livers are too strong for me to be good. Beef liver is more consistent in that respect.
Wirh our roe it is no problem.

But I agree wirh fallow deer and red stag

noslerpartition":13ne08u0 said:
ShadeTree":13ne08u0 said:

Wirh our roe it is no problem.

But I agree wirh fallow deer and red stag

Good liver is a treat! I always keep the heart's, but whitetail liver anymore I generally let in the woods. Usually can tell as soon as you start cooking it if it's gonna be good or not, some are real strong.

My mother used to have a trick when cooking deer liver, if I remember correctly she used to cut it in slices and soak the slices in a bowl of milk overnight to mellow out the strong flavor that some of them have.

Either way that plate you put up looks good!

noslerpartition":2qd2vvin said:
drakehammer":2qd2vvin said:
Blahahaha!

No i was laughing about your flying blanket joke! Blahahaha=lol[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

drakehammer":3r4u9331 said:
noslerpartition":3r4u9331 said:
drakehammer":3r4u9331 said:
Blahahaha!

No i was laughing about your flying blanket joke! Blahahaha=lol[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Ah!
In German blablabla means someone is talking meaningless nonsense. Seems I got you completely wrong , sorry.

I like liver fried crisp, smothered with onions and in gravy. That and mashed potatoes is mighty fine. I slice liver and soak overnight in vinegar water or in buttermilk. It takes out the stronger taste.

Venison liver (especially mule deer) can be strong tasting. I've sliced thin and soaked in cold water overnight before a soak in buttermilk. Of course, frying in butter is mandatory.

Fried onions are always welcomed, except with liver. Just never developed the taste for onions with liver. Fascinating.

While I have never been a fan of organ meats, liver especially, whether from beef or wildgame, my wife loves liver thinly sliced and fried in a bread crumb coating. She really loves the liver from caribou and stone's sheep!

I will say that my grandma had a way of frying chicken and grouse hearts until they were crispy on the outside that made them palatable. Never have tried kidney or lung, tripe or chucksis, and not sure that I care to. I have eaten moose nose (soup), and moose chin; neither are high on my list of delicacies. Tongue is something I will try the next time I get the opportunity, but it has been awhile as I have given the tongues from recently harvested animals to an aunt who loves it.

I have eaten brains from beef; reminded me of baked oysters in both taste and texture. Not bad, but not a favourite.

I will say that I have enjoyed the rewards of harvesting fish and game for many years, and hope to continue doing so for many years to come! The memories last a lifetime, of both the adventures and the tasting, but unfortunately, we must continue to hunt and fish to nuture our abilities to continue rewarding that life. Not such a terrible problem to have!

A friend came over for a bbq and brought the leg of boar i gave him a few weeks ago.

I must be getting soft, because I made a salad for a men's bbq...
4.5 lbs of meat for 4 men - one being 12 this month, the other one 14 (which means he counts for 2).
Made it 3/4 through it.
dac7b4543f7f67dbb06a23d274e94efa.jpg
8d79115007139c896dcc571d32887962.jpg
c377511b08b2aa2fedca13e4a22b4c8d.jpg

When I asked my Newfoundland guide to save the moose heart for me he asked what I intended to do with it. I told him that my golden retriever eats wildgame nearly every day and would probably love it.

I was advised that no one in Newfoundland would ever give a moose heart to a dog. The heart is a delicacy which is saved for the holidays. Traditionally stuffed, baked and served as a special holiday meal.

I pledged to my wife and I will stuff and smoke the heart of my moose this fall, Charlie. I have very pleasant memories of heart (and hot tongue sandwiches) prepared by my grandma.

Never tried it stuffed - sliced and fried so far.

Do you happen to have a recipe?

I pulled this from the Bradley Smoker site (https://www.bradleysmoker.com/recipe/stuffed-smoked-moose-heart-2/). It will work without a smoker by cooking in your oven.

Makes 4 hearty servings. Substitute any other species of heart you desire.
Ingredients
1 Moose heart (split lengthwise)
Salt & pepper to taste
500 ml (2 c) bread or cracker crumbs
125 g (1/4 lb) pork sausage
65 ml (1/4 c) minced onion
125 ml (1/2 c) all purpose flour
65 ml (4 tbsp) vegetable oil
1 ml (1/8 tsp) pepper
3 ml (1/2 tsp) sage
15 ml (1 tbsp) minced parsley
500 ml (2 c) water
5 ml (1 tsp) beef base
Preparation
Wash heart, trim all fat and remove arteries.
Soak in cold salty water for half hour.
Drain and pat dry.
Brush the outside of the heart with oil and sprinkle the entire heart with salt and pepper to taste.
In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs, sausage, sage, and parsley.
Fill inside cavity with the breadcrumb mixture and tie or skewer the heart back together.
Roll the heart in flour, then braise it in a hot frying pan with oil until the heart has a golden brown color.
Transfer the heart from the frying pan to an oiled smoker rack.
Smoking Method
Preheat the Bradley Smoker to 120°C (250°F).
Using Hickory flavour bisquettes, place the rack in the Bradley Smoker and smoke/cook for up to 8 hours. You may wish to turn the smoke generator off after 4 hours, but continue to cook.
If desired, make a thin gravy out of the remaining flour and grease from the frying pan to serve with the heart.

Back