Trail cams

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
I have never used them before and looking for some advice on choosing a good location to setup. I have a Spypoint Force 11-D and a Simmons.

Thanks!

Check out deer lab.com. Very cool capability.

I set them during the off season on heavy game trails and mineral licks or food plots.

During season, I’ll set a camera on bait and multiple approaches. I run as many as 10 cameras. They are mostly Brownings. I was looking at a Hawk 16MP camera for 69. Its vetting interesting. You program it from your smart phone via Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter the one you pick...Be very mindful of the sun's position..I made that mistake once and had a bunch of pictures of a very bright light..LOL

My recommendation, if you don't want to break the bank:

1. They're not particularly fancy, but I've had good luck with the Primos Proof Cam 02. I prefer to shoot 30-second videos, rather than stills. You can get them for about $70 or so.
2. You can use them with AA batteries, but if you're taking a lot of video you'll burn thru them in a couple weeks. Much better solution to buy (or make) an external 12v battery pack. That will run the camera for months between charges.
3. Lots of people put out corn and other attractants, but I've found that creating a mineral lick is just as effective and much, much less costly. I usually use Trophy Rock, and replenish it about every 6-8 weeks during the summer and fall. Best to start it in the late winter/early spring, to give it time to dissolve into the ground and the deer time to find it. They absolutely tear it up.

Good luck!!

Brian

Back