Terrible news new nelchina caribou quota

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
438270de65b223f7b9d90da18391a144.jpg

2df3cf933ba1d3ce71b4a2531f263d44.jpg

New emergency order came out. Reduced to 250 bull only I’m afraid we might not get a chance to fill out tags this year. 5,000 permitted hunters vying for 250 bulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's going to change the Nelchina hunt dynamics quite a bit.

I am sorry to hear this Bear and Hodgeman. I hope things change next year. Guys this was a few years back, but remember Brooke talking about hunting them up by Fort Yukon. Are there still lager hunting quotas for the herd's in that area ?

And, what is the problem in your fellows opinion --over hunting or ?

Supposedly a hard spring with deep snow in the calving grounds. They have been over populated and hadn’t been hitting the quota the last few years.

Personally I think they got a poor count. Caribou numbers are hard to evaluate, must be done from the air and visibility can be an issue.

Either way I’ll head out early and try to find a few and hopefully score in the first few days of season.

If not I’ll just focus on Moose and bears. I’ll have to kill something the poor salmon numbers in the Kenai left us little salmon for the winter. Only managed 17 reds this year, I normally like to keep 30-35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm hoping for a bad count. I was down that way in early June and there was still feet of snow in much of the range and lots of lakes still capped. That had to be tough on the calves. Apparently a fair number of the collared caribou have ended up in the 40 Mile country when they came back this spring.

What have you heard about area 25 & 26 ? Have you heard anything about Arrowhead Outfitters ?
My Brother is still trying to put us on aCaribou hunt. Thanks

1100 Remington Man":1kc2o9ma said:
What have you heard about area 25 & 26 ? Have you heard anything about Arrowhead Outfitters ?
My Brother is still trying to put us on aCaribou hunt. Thanks

I haven't heard much about either GMU after a couple of years ago the migration was really slow in GMU 25.

While I haven't used Arrowhead, a couple of friends of mine have and they had good things to say about them. I've also heard good things about 70N out of Happy Valley.

I am sorry to hear that fellows as that is one hunt that I would really like to do before I hang up my rifle.
Lets hope that you are right and that the count was just off (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear that. I too hope to get on a caribou hunt in the next few years.

I'm going on my first AK trip for moose next month and hope to get a Kodiak Sitka black tail hunt and caribou hunt pulled off in the next 5 years. Right now with both Dad and I on the ranch and healthy each of us can leave a little easier but life happens, that may change at any time. I listened to Randy Newberg on a podcast while unloading hay today and he talked about how you will run out of health before you run out of money. I've heard it before but it always makes me think about making hunts a reality instead of a dream for someday.

Back