Decisions, Decisions..What would you choose?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So I've found three loads for the 270 WSM that are very accurate and pretty fast, and I'm not sure which, if any, is a better than the others for the upcoming deer/bear season..

140 NAB with reloder 26 is .319" group @ 3245 fps. I've had fantastic results with the AB in other cartridges, and have no doubts it will perform great in the WSM, but wondering how it will fair at those speeds should one of those 50 yard shots present itself....

130 E-Tip pushed to just under 3300 fps by RL-22 and groups .4". I have zero experience with this bullet, but information from folks like Dr. Mike and others, whose opinions I hold in high regard, assure it will perform admirably.

130 Scirocco getting a good kick in the pants by MagPro to 3315, while not as accurate as the other two, it still does 3/4" and could probably get better accuracy if it weren't so finicky, and I wanted to devote more time to it (which I don't have time to right now) and it took quite a bit to get it to 3/4". This is another one that I have no on game experience with, but reading about it gives me the impression it will work very well.

So, there's my own Sophie's Choice. All three are fantastic bullets. Just because of past, positive experiences, I'm leaning toward the 140 AB. I like splitting the difference between 130 and 150 with the 140 AB, but concerned about those close up shots. I'm certain it be outstanding shooting across the pastures, but quite often they pop up out of a draw right on top of me.

What a delightful conundrum! You won't go wrong with any of those bullets/loads. Any of them will work very well at close range and high velocity. The AB is a great bullet that will perform well at higher velocities should the shot required be close. I'd use that bullet and never look back. FWIW, I've taken some very close shots with the 130 E-Tip, and all the animals hit managed to expire rather quickly. I did recover a bullet once, though it was on a longer shot that passed through quite a bit of elk.

I have been a AccuBond faithful for a long time and actually just starting for the third time building a load for my youngest Son's Model 70 in the 270wsm.
I do have a pile of RL22 that I can use, but I am having a tough time finding 140gr. ABs. However I am going to send a message to a certain Doctor that I know he may have a remedy for my shortage (y).
PS. If anyone has some load data for the 270wsm using RL22 and 140gr. ABs I would not mind a little help :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to know..I think I'm going to stick with the AB, regardless of what I've read from some naysayers on other forums about them not being able to cope well with high velocity impacts. I've had too much success with them in several other cartridges to count them out...But I do believe the e-tips will also get their chance to prove themselves to me this fall.

I'd also use the AB and never think about it. I've used them extensively for the last dozen or so years to flatten critters near and far, big and small.

They just work.

I once shot a large muley through the front of the shoulders at the base of neck at about 10 feet with a 110g acc going 3500fps and it exited so don't worry about close shots. In hole was about the size of a 50 cent piece and out hole about the same.

I've used the 160 AB at 3222 fps out of my 7MM STW from 15 to 400 yards on antelope tp elk, without a failure when I have placed it properly.

I believe you will be just fine.

Have a great hunt!

I used the 160 AB with my 7mm Magnum last season on whitetails. MV was a nice 3,140 fps with Retumbo and never looked back. It will be my go to hunting bullet and it never failed me.

On the 300 Win Mag, I use the 180 AB at 3,190 fps with RL-22, have not tried it on game yet since I got the rifle built for me earlier this spring. I am sure it will give them a good hurting. I am sure you will do just fine with that AccuBond. (y)

Mark, I know 2 hunters that have been using the 180gr. AB in their 300win mags for a number of years and they shoot everything from Speed Goats to Moose :wink:. They tell everyone that the 180gr. AB is the perfect bullet :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Don't think you could make a bad choice. I would probably take the 140 gr AB's, my 270 WSM likes them as well.

I've shot many whitetails from 75yds to about 500 yds with a 160AB at 3,200 ft/sec. Never had a bad result.

Yup, Swift or the AccuBond for me. Used nearly the same 140 AccuBond load for a couple of elk and mule deer. Worked pretty good. I kinda like the Swift Scirocco a bit more but I don't think it's for any reason other than I have seen the Swifts work pretty danged amazing the past couple of years.

Thanks for all the input! I kicked the options around and settled on the 140 AB for this season..Went today to do final zero on the scope. I had to seat them .010" deeper than i previously tested them to give them a little more room in the magazine...After I got it dialed in to where I wanted it @ 100 yards, I followed with three more shots get an idea of group size after having to change the OAL to a .110" jump..I Think I'm done.

Attachments

• 20180902_135332.jpg
    20180902_135332.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 702
Looks like you are ready to go hunt.
Good luck this season!

JD338

Now that you have the ammo sorted....time to fill up the freezer!

A 140AB at 3240fps will ruin somethings day.

Thanks guys. I'm way beyond ready to hit the woods! It can't get here soon enough

Yes as far as your rifle I believe your more than ready :wink:. We are sure looking forward to a real good hunting story with photos I hope :).
Good luck remember shoot straight, have fun & most of all be safe (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back