year round hunting

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I am talking birds to bears and everything in-between and to be able--if time allows --to do so through out the year.

I am assuming Dr Mike, Bear, Hodgeman, gbflyer, Gil and salmon chaser are able to so and possibly do. I know Cheyenne and Earle can and do. Maybe Guy ?

Who else hunts year round--birds, big game, turkey, etc--or at least hunt once per month all year long.

Me!
Young wild boar can be hunted all year over here - as long as they don't have piglets.
Roe from May to end of January.
Fox from mid-June to end of February and lots in between (badger, enok, ducks, geese, crow, dove, red stag, fallow deer, hare, rabbit, ...).
So I am basically able to hunt different species all year long.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I try to hunt coyote about once a month..The gentleman who lets us hunt his farm asked that we help with his coyote problem in exchange for hunting rights. Short of coyote, all that's legal to hunt year round is possum, groundhog, weasel, starling and pigeon. and skunk (if one so desired)

I have in the past, but not so much anymore.

Coyotes are available year round.

Every spring there is varmint shooting. Marmots & ground squirrels. There's also a spring bear season, but that requires a tag I haven't drawn.

August 1st starts bear season. Then we're into deer & elk and possibly pronghorn if I go to Wyoming. I've hunted deer & elk into December, depending on the tag I've drawn.

Birds - chukar, pheasant, etc... I can hunt from Aug - March at the club, or into the winter on public lands.

So ya, coyotes let me hunt all year, if I so desire. But... there are other interests too. :)

Guy

I can hunt year round for something and usually do in my area.

Fall Caribou, sheep, black bear and moose starts in my area in August and runs through Sept.

Sept-December is waterfowl.

August though March is grouse and ptarmigan.

Winter Caribou picks up in October and runs through March.

Spring bear starts in April and runs through June.

In certain spots, grizzly bears never really close and furbearers run through winter months.

Hares and squirrels never close in most units.

The one month I'm not hunting very much is July....a fella has to fish some time!

hodgeman":pr26u7ia said:
I can hunt year round for something and usually do in my area.

Fall Caribou, sheep, black bear and moose starts in my area in August and runs through Sept.

Sept-December is waterfowl.

August though March is grouse and ptarmigan.

Winter Caribou picks up in October and runs through March.

Spring bear starts in April and runs through June.

In certain spots, grizzly bears never really close and furbearers run through winter months.

Hares and squirrels never close in most units.

The one month I'm not hunting very much is July....a fella has to fish some time!

I am so envious Hodgeman, good for you. IF we can find a place to hunt I suppose coyotes, rabbits and squirrels can be hunted, but to hunt year round for big game and birds, how cool is that. How much of your hunt ends up on the dinner table--it sounds like you would never have to buy meat at the store

hunternyny":1bktlik7 said:
[ How much of your hunt ends up on the dinner table--it sounds like you would never have to buy meat at the store

Basically all of the hunt (and fishing trips) ends up on the dinner table. With few exceptions, everything that gets shot gets eaten. There are some critters that I just don't pursue much, even with opportunity- for example, hares. I could take a year's worth in a single afternoon on an up year but I just don't have that much taste for hare outside of three or four a year. I also don't spend a whole lot of time going after furbearers, mainly due to crappy weather and competing interests.

The bulk of my family's animal protein is what we harvest- probably something like 90% or so. In my area, I'm not all that unusual- it's kind of a lifestyle thing here with a lot of folks practicing some degree of subsistence hunting.

I am not as fortunate as some on this forum as we have 2 spring/summer hunts a spring Snow Goose hunt along with a Bear season I do not partake in either of these hunts. I refuse to hunt those goofy white birds as I can never pattern them and that drives me crazy :shock:. Bear hunting is very time consuming as in this province most of the bears are bated and I just can't make the time needed to do it properly so I don't buy a license.
Our Archery Elk season starts today and I get to start hunting Elk in rifle season which is on Sept. 15th and then I can basically hunt every day until the end of late Pheasant season which ends on Dec.31st.
My wife for many years now calls herself the Hunting widow during this period of months every year :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

We can do it here with wolves, mountain lions, bears, turkey's, and varmints from the end of January, when ducks/goose season closes, until when our first big game hunts start in August. I tend to spend that time working as much as possible to free up the summer to fish, camp, atv ride, and play around the lakes with the kids and fall when I usually take about 6 weeks off to hunt. The side benefit to doing what I do is I can stock pile parts when I want to and that frees up other times. This last fall, winter, and spring was especially busy since I was in school but I usually try to bait bears in the spring. I did go to Hawaii axis deer hunting in April and will do it again next spring. We also drew cow elk tags for Jan. and Feb. 2019 so that will stretch my hunting out a bit more next spring. With the exception of March, unless we draw axis deer tags in HI for March, I should be hunting every month from now until next June. That really hurts my feeling too :lol: :mrgreen: I know my wife is really fond of it when she just rolls her eyes at me.

Back