Grizzly Bear hunts

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
Where can you hunt them in the U.S. and Canada

Wyoming and Alaska--U.S. ?

Everywhere but B.C. in Canada ?

Gil, you are able to hunt Grizzly in B.C. as a member of the First Nation's but you can not let a guest hunt with you ??

thank you

I think Idaho and Montana are having a season this year as well. Might be awhile before I draw those tags, but I'd think Canada or Alaska are still the places to really have a chance at the bears..

Extremely limited opportunity in the lower 48. But it's a start after decades of no grizzly bear hunting here.

BC outlawed it.

Alaska has PLENTY of bears, coastal brownies and the interior grizzly.

Non-resident hunter in Alaska is required to use a guide. Which, I personally think is a pretty good idea!

Guy

Hunting Grizzly bear is being taken away from almost everyone in Canada except a small special draw hunt in Alberta. The information I have found available on Grizzly bear hunting in the Yukon states that less than 100 tags per year are issued there :( .
There are no grizzly hunts in the provinces east of Alberta that I know of.

Blessings.
Dan

John

go to Alaska. Dont even consider Canada. Contact Bear, Hodgeman an GBflyer who live there and ask for recommendations. I can also ask Brooke if you want me too. Plus Guy was just there, ask him.

Gil will be along to answer your question in more detail, but yes he can hunt the grizzly but can not sell or even give away any of the product, outside of his own tribe.

The idiots in Vancouver and Victoria are the ones who successfully got the ban through in BC. They do not have a clue, as there are over 15000 grizzly in B.C. and the 250 shoot each year didnt even keep pace with the birth rate. This had nothing to do with them being endangered. The same idiots recently made Nabisco remove the bars that separated the animals on the animal cracker box, as somehow that was also not politically correct--have they ever been to a zoo ???? And you ask me why I spent all my time in the mountains and with the dogs---my dogs are more logical than these people! As Dr Mike knows I have been yelling as loud as I can at these people since the ban was voted into law.

Go to Alaska!

Thank you for the guidance, everyone

Cheyenne, dont hold back, tell show you really feel lol--thank you

Personally I think Alaska is your only "good" choice.

Just decide whether you want to hunt coastal or mountain Grizzly. If mountain, Guy had a good experience , if coastal ask one of guys who they recommend, even salmon chaser, as he spends a lot of time on the Alaska coast and knows people there.

The only drawback to grizzly hunts in Alaska is the non-resident guided requirement.

I've hunted griz...and if I were doing it cold from out of state, I'd really want a guide. Your chances of success are just much higher. Bears just aren't a high density animal most places.

For what it's worth- I'd hunt interior grizzlies over coastal bears any day. While coastal bears are typically larger...there is nothing cooler than stalking a big Interior bear across miles of mountainous tundra.

hodgeman":1ti22xqs said:
The only drawback to grizzly hunts in Alaska is the non-resident guided requirement.

I've hunted griz...and if I were doing it cold from out of state, I'd really want a guide. Your chances of success are just much higher. Bears just aren't a high density animal most places.

For what it's worth- I'd hunt interior grizzlies over coastal bears any day. While coastal bears are typically larger...there is nothing cooler than stalking a big Interior bear across miles of mountainous tundra.

As a guided hunter for interior bear - I agree!

And remember that there is a very good chance of NOT tagging that interior grizzly. On my nine-day hunt, three grizzlies were seen. Two were shooters. We got them both. I didn't get my bear until the 7th day, and was starting to believe that I'd go home without a bear.

The other fellow in camp with me was on his third grizzly hunt, and finally got his grizzly. Nothing on the first two. I've read of others who go to hunt the grizzly, and end up coming home without even seeing one, or at least one they could reach.

Guy

Cheyenne has it pegged!

There is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to hunting grizzly bear.
The old addage: 95% boredom + 5% sheer terror = grizzly bear hunting!
And this from those who been there, done that!

Alaska is a great place to go.
Hire a good guide, from a good area; check references.
Hope you get a bear; but do not be surprised if you do not, Hope you at least see some bears.

Cheyenne has it pegged!

Hope you get a bear; but do not be surprised if you do not, Hope you at least see some bears.

Cheyenne has it pegged!

hodgeman":1vya6m74 said:

Don’t undersell the excitement of coastal bears! The numbers are more concentrated, MUCH higher bear densities. The bears are much larger with great chocolate coats. A boat based hunt is much easier on older legs and backs!

There are few things more exciting than working your way thru the jungle of coastal rainforest after 10’ monsters! Places where you hear them breathing before you can see them. Sneaking along bear tunnels along stream beds and watching trees shake like some Jurassic Park thriller. Braided river bottoms are almost as bad but lack that dark gloomy ancient Forrest ambiance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":2oejqm14 said:
hodgeman":2oejqm14 said:

Don’t undersell the excitement of coastal bears! The numbers are more concentrated, MUCH higher bear densities. The bears are much larger with great chocolate coats. A boat based hunt is much easier on older legs and backs!

There are few things more exciting than working your way thru the jungle of coastal rainforest after 10’ monsters! Places where you hear them breathing before you can see them. Sneaking along bear tunnels along stream beds and watching trees shake like some Jurassic Park thriller. Braided river bottoms are almost as bad but lack that dark gloomy ancient Forrest ambiance.

I agree. This was our choice and Bear has described it perfectly.

Thank you! It's a fun topic... bear hunting... :)

I'm excited to learn what you decide to do. So many possibilities... I thoroughly enjoyed researching my hunt.

I think that if I went again, I'd try one of those boat hunts, cruising for the big coastal brownies... I've seen a couple of those on video and it looks like a great hunt!

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":2ofkrxwk said:
Thank you! It's a fun topic... bear hunting... :)

I'm excited to learn what you decide to do. So many possibilities... I thoroughly enjoyed researching my hunt.

I think that if I went again, I'd try one of those boat hunts, cruising for the big coastal brownies... I've seen a couple of those on video and it looks like a great hunt!

Regards, Guy

I know something along those lines is on the list. I keep watching for hunts and pricing them out a little. Building my little house right now, but once that's done, it is full speed ahead for a bear hunt.

Back