2018 Wy bucks

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
My brother, son, and I were fortunate enough to go to Wyoming this year after deer. We bowhunted with some close calls, then went back with our rifles. We were blessed with 3 nice bucks.

My buck shot with a Weatherby backcountry in 270 Win. 150 gr. ballistic tip handloads. 525 yards.

a34f525e00678bf5e1b391545403a7fb.jpg

Sons buck shot with a Rem 700 in 270 Win with 130 gr. Ballistic tip Handloads. 20 yards.

3dd6c0a7ba4613b915f803f629773ad7.jpg

Brothers buck shot with a Savage in 270 WSM with 150 gr. SST handloads. 250 yards.

732c3491a3ac11f699a1289ec6dae1d1.jpg

Congratulations. Impressive deer. Great shooting. Were you able to capture any of the bullets?

Dan

Congratulations on your successful WY deer season.
You got yourself a dandy.

JD338

Congratulations to each of you. Those are very respectable bucks. You did well.

Thanks guys. That is by far the largest buck my son has ever shot. He was super pumped.

The conditions of the kill were nothing short of miraculous. He missed “my” buck at 525 yards with a solid rest. I backed him up and dropped him. It was the last night of our hunt. Less than an hour till dark.

We hiked over to my buck and as we approached I spotted my sons buck standing in virtually the same spot only 20 yards away. At first, I thought it was my buck back on his feet. He was posed like a statue. I could tell he was legal and he looked smaller than the buck I shot. I encouraged my son to shoot which he did. They died within feet of each other. A very special moment with a gift Buck for icing on the cake.

I have both a 150 gr. And 130 gr. Ballistic tip we recovered from these bucks. I need to clean them up and weigh them. I will then post pics with weights.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Very nice bucks, ballistic tips are probably the best deer bullet ever made, I am surprised the 20 yard shot did not exit.

Yeah agreed on the greatness of the BT.

The reason it did not exit is it hit the biggest leg bone dead center and broke it right in half, then lodged in the off shoulder under the hide. It’s also s tad on the lighter side as far as loads go.

It sure looks like a great time, congratulations on 3 very respectable buck (y).
The photo are excellent as well :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

So this bullet is what is left of a 130 gr BT that my son used to kill his deer. It center punched the front leg bone going in (about 1” diameter) completely fracturing it. It then passed thru the vitals lodging in the off shoulder hide, nearly exiting. There were other small fragments I did not recover.

22913ff5c7ff8da4c72a078372266120.jpg

Back