Jura, Scotland

Very well done. Definitely makes the hunter reminisce, living again the first deer. It would be a joy to visit the Island of Jura (good excuse to take my wife to Scotland).

That was pretty cool but the wool coat and pants with a top hot don't really fit well with a stainless/plastic Tikka using a bipod. Maybe they were trying to mix old and new but carrying your rifle around in a gun case I totally expected him to pull out a blued/wood rifle.

IdahoCTD":dp8duvm0 said:
That was pretty cool but the wool coat and pants with a top hot don't really fit well with a stainless/plastic Tikka using a bipod. Maybe they were trying to mix old and new but carrying your rifle around in a gun case I totally expected him to pull out a blued/wood rifle.

I quite agree, a traditional rifle would have matched the country also the Harris Tweed outfit (Standard everyday clothing for all employed deer stalkers in Scotland) far better.
Often, guests, - also known as 'Rifles' choose to wear the traditional Harris Tweed outfits when deer stalking in Scotland.
Harris Tweed is of course wool, and because of its tight weave is somewhat water resistant, but even when soaked remains warm. Although by the time it's soaked it's damn heavy!

And indeed, a modern traditional rifle is what I would use, however, over recent years as a matter of ‘health and safety’ employed stalkers are equipped with synthetic stock rifles (tools) fitted with moderators.

Also by tradition, rifles (Especially 'guests' rifles) are usually carried in gunslips, often by the stalker or his ghillie (Assistant), when hunting in Scotland.
There are exceptions of course, but it’s usual for rounds to be in the magazine under the bolt and removing the rifle from its slip and chambering a round when the beast to be culled is located and a suitable position to take the shot is reached.

Very nicely done! Thank you for sharing that wonderful glimpse into hunting there. I thoroughly enjoyed.

Regards, Guy

Back